Elections 16/16 members of the house in Florida vote against aid

What exactly was being voted on? Can you please add the bill to the OP? I’d love to know if there was any reason to vote this down.

Sometimes there are good reasons to reject a bill, other times (like the insulin pricing) I’m mystified.

Actually consistent. Meanwhile DeSantis begged Bidden to approve major disaster declaration for 67 counties in FL.
carmine-falcone-begged-like-a-dog.gif

Anyone have a link to what was actually voted on?

Edit: Found something on this. Op should really include something like this - and, frankly a lot more. Some context is necessary for a vote that seems so bloody baffling on its face.

From Rick Scott's statement:

"Scott's office pointed to a statement released Friday that said the continuing resolution (CR) in the bill "contains no funding for Florida’s response to Hurricane Ian."
  • “Prior to Ian’s development, l made clear that I fully supported the proposed disaster funding for other states," Scott said in a statement.
  • "This CR failed to fund the federal government until the new Congress begins in 2023, and that is why I could not support it."

Marco Rubio, Rick Scott call for Hurricane Ian relief as Florida GOP votes against FEMA funding (axios.com)

So, it's possible the bill didn't actually help Florida out with hurricane Ian at all. Which puts posts like this in context:

Actually consistent. Meanwhile DeSantis begged Bidden to approve major disaster declaration for 67 counties in FL.

If this disaster relief bill didn't offer anything to Florida at all for the disaster they were staring down the barrel of, it makes sense they'd be urgently asking for aid. If a bill is designed to not include aid for a state facing an imminent natural disaster a state is facing, that could be a big screw you to that state.

But, again, I don't know. The OP didn't post any information on what the bill was or why it was voted down, just a tweet without any context. Would love to see more on this. This vote seems baffling and disturbing, but it's easy to draw that conclusion when there is literally no information provided beyond "men voted against the good things bill. Men don't like good things bill. Men must be bad men."

Last edited:
Anyone have a link to what was actually voted on?

Edit: Found something on this. Op should really include something like this - and, frankly a lot more. Some context is necessary for a vote that seems so bloody baffling on its face.

From Rick Scott's statement:

"Scott's office pointed to a statement released Friday that said the continuing resolution (CR) in the bill "contains no funding for Florida’s response to Hurricane Ian."
  • “Prior to Ian’s development, l made clear that I fully supported the proposed disaster funding for other states," Scott said in a statement.
  • "This CR failed to fund the federal government until the new Congress begins in 2023, and that is why I could not support it."

Marco Rubio, Rick Scott call for Hurricane Ian relief as Florida GOP votes against FEMA funding (axios.com)

So, it's possible the bill didn't actually help Florida out with hurricane Ian at all. Which puts posts like this in context:

If this disaster relief bill didn't offer anything to Florida at all for the disaster they were staring down the barrel of, it makes sense they'd be urgently asking for aid. If a bill is designed to not include aid for a state facing an imminent natural disaster a state is facing, that could be a big screw you to that state.

But, again, I don't know. The OP didn't post any information on what the bill was or why it was voted down, just a tweet without any context. Would love to see more on this. This vote seems baffling and disturbing, but it's easy to draw that conclusion when there is literally no information provided beyond "men voted against the good things bill. Men don't like good things bill. Men must be bad men."
The CR contained 18.8 billion for FEMA's disaster relief fund.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/29/sen...rnment-shutdown-provide-more-ukraine-aid.html

Thanks for posting.

12 billion for Ukraine? $1 billion in heating and utility assistance and emergency aid for natural disasters? According to my above post, no actual money for Ian, and instead money starting in 2023?

Interestingly, Manchin (heard that guy's name a lot recently) help up the bill:

"The legislation had been held up by Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V., who wanted a provision that sped up the federal permit process for big energy projects, including pipelines and electrical lines. Schumer announced the decision to strike the bill language on the Senate floor Tuesday."

Turns out @So Fresh 's preemptive defensive post was warranted... Because this doesn't look much like a disaster relief bill, but a pork barrel with disaster relief in it that didn't actually provide a dime for Florida's current disaster. I mean, I'm an ignorant reader of it at this case, but more information doesn't make it seem as cut and dry as the OP made it seem, and framing it as voting against disaster relief seems like a significant mischaraterization.

Thanks for posting.

12 billion for Ukraine? $1 billion in heating and utility assistance and emergency aid for natural disasters? According to my above post, no actual money for Ian, and instead money starting in 2023?

Interestingly, Manchin (heard that guy's name a lot recently) help up the bill:

"The legislation had been held up by Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V., who wanted a provision that sped up the federal permit process for big energy projects, including pipelines and electrical lines. Schumer announced the decision to strike the bill language on the Senate floor Tuesday."

Turns out @So Fresh 's preemptive defensive post was warranted... Because this doesn't look much like a disaster relief bill, but a pork barrel with disaster relief in it that didn't actually provide a dime for Florida's current disaster. I mean, I'm an ignorant reader of it at this case, but more information doesn't make it seem as cut and dry as the OP made it seem, and framing it as voting against disaster relief seems like a significant mischaraterization.
At the end of FY 2021, there was 36 billion in the above mentioned disaster relief fund.
https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R45484
Under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (P.L. 93-288, as amended; hereinafter “the Stafford Act”), the President can declare that an emergency exists or a major disaster is occurring. 2 These declarations make state, tribal, territorial, and local governments 3 eligible for a variety of assistance programs, many of which are funded from the DRF.4 Declarations usually are made at the request of a state, tribal, or territorial government.
And here's DeSantis spelling it out.
The President has the authority to issue a waiver and increase the federal cost share for hurricane recovery. The approval of this funding has the potential to save Florida communities and the state hundreds of millions of dollars.

• FEMA Category A funds costs associated with the removal of debris following a storm. This includes wreckage produced while conducting emergency work, and anything that eliminates the immediate threat to lives or public health and safety.
  • FEMA Category B funds emergency protective measures taken before, during and after a disaster. This includes warnings of risks and hazards, search and rescue efforts, emergency evacuations, food and water provisions at central distribution points and emergency mass care.
Which is exactly what POTUS did.
Today, President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. declared that a major disaster exists in the State of Florida and ordered Federal aid to supplement State, tribal, and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by Hurricane Ian beginning on September 23, 2022, and continuing.
But then he asks to actually FUND the FEMA DRF for the future/ replenish the DFR, and repubs are like: nah, has other stuff, which was already on the bill, but still, so nah. Bill still got passed, so give it about 48 hours before the same repubs who voted against it, will be taking credit for the bill passing. Rinse, repeat.

At the end of FY 2021, there was 36 billion in the above mentioned disaster relief fund.
https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R45484

And here's DeSantis spelling it out.

Which is exactly what POTUS did.

But then he asks to actually FUND the FEMA DRF for the future/ replenish the DFR, and repubs are like: nah, has other stuff, which was already on the bill, but still, so nah. Bill still got passed, so give it about 48 hours before the same repubs who voted against it, will be taking credit for the bill passing. Rinse, repeat.

Yeah, the taking credit for bills they voted against is scummy hypocrisy. No argument from me. Republicans do it all the time, to boot, and it would be nice if their supporters' voting habits reflected that.

Would really love to see bills focus on one thing. By design, they're not. It allows for this ridiculous drama to unfold again and again.

1: "We want X."
2: "Here is X, plus Y, Z, and a few other letters."
1: "I'm not voting for the XYZ bill."
2: "Ok, we'll pass it anyway."
1: "Isn't it awesome that we passed the bill with X?"
Voters for 1 and 2: "My team is awesome! The other team is evil!"
1 and 2: "The other team are evil and trying to get in the way of good governance."

Rinse. Repeat. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Another complete moron on twitter. AKA a leading democrat.
To be fair, now seems like a good a good time to justify their votes against. As far as I can tell it's a bunch of political BS on both sides, and the Republicans do not come off looking good. Care to exonerate them? If there is a case to make for them you should make it, or it really just seems like this is the same my-team's ism the Twitter post is engaging in.

To be fair, now seems like a good a good time to justify their votes against. As far as I can tell it's a bunch of political BS on both sides, and the Republicans do not come off looking good. Care to exonerate them? If there is a case to make for them you should make it, or it really just seems like this is the same my-team's ism the Twitter post is engaging in.
Not a big mystery here. This was a “must pass bill” to help Florida and a bunch of politicians decided to shove a lot of unrelated spending into it. Spending that would never pass under a regular vote due to lack of support.

Back