1988: Michael Jackson Vs George Michael in USA

Quite a number of posts got sidetracked here. The TS is comparing the year 1988 on who was better and it is fair to say it was George Michael. Faith album >Bad album

George’s voice was velvet. Careless Whispers is one of the greatest tunes ever released.
Kissing a fool was also a masterpiece. Such a amazing voice.

MJ by a mile for me. I don't like any George Michael stuff tbh, I can appreciate his time and place in pop music but I hated it at the time and still do now. MJ had some great tunes. Billy Jean is one of my favourite basslines of all time.

MJ by a mile for me. I don't like any George Michael stuff tbh, I can appreciate his time and place in pop music but I hated it at the time and still do now. MJ had some great tunes. Billy Jean is one of my favourite basslines of all time.
We're talking about in 1988 though.

In 88 MJ was still in his fame prime which was Beatles level . George was famous but not even IN MJ area code.

As for talent in 88...... I like GM songs better than the MJ songs

Both were at the top of their game. MJ released his most anticipating album since Thriller and George released his debut solo album at the end of 1987. Both went dominate the year 1988. MJ got 5 no.1s singles on chart while George got 4 no.1s and no.2 and no.5 on that year. According to Billboard, George outsold MJ in US but MJ was huge on the rest of the world. Who was bigger star and which one do you prefer?

In 88 MJ was still bigger. Though I think George had made up some ground by 89/90 due to how good Faith was and how stale Michael had become. Even by 88’ MJs sound was on the way out as New Jack Swing had become the sound all the young people liked, as exemplified by Janet’s Rhythm Nation and Bobby Brown’s Don’t be Cruel.

I prefer MJs catalogue. But I prefer Faith as an album over anything MJ put out post Thriller.

George Michael hands down, Jackson's badass with multi zipped boiler suit was tragic.

Around this time I was a big George Michael fan. I had lost interest in Michael Jackson when Bad was released. I thought Bad was the beginning of the end.

George Michael was incredible. Shame what happened to his later years after LWP Vol 1

Around this time I was a big George Michael fan. I had lost interest in Michael Jackson when Bad was released. I thought Bad was the beginning of the end.

George Michael was incredible. Shame what happened to his later years after LWP Vol 1
His Older album was very good.

MJ by a landslide

I think I only know 1 George Michael song off the top of my head, I'm sure I've heard more

At least George Michael was honest about his arrest lol. My lord that scandal made me laugh. Is a shame George fell off after Faith and was "blacklisted" from American radio (according to him)

George Michael was '88 Michael Jackson was '83?
Jackson was pretending to be 'bad' which was a bit of a joke.
Everyone has their moment.

Back