200 kg bench press - clean or juicing?

ummm, i love looking at old lifting numbers, presteroid, because it makes me feel like less of a bitch.

im not sure where 440 falls, to be honest. I work with a guy who benches 370 and i actually believe him that he is natural.

But, we did a little odd object lifting for fun at work and, well, its always a good idea to check out a guys range of motion.

Your 440 guy MIGHT be clean, or mostly clean, but he might be bouncing it with his ass off the bench. He might have a spotter who swears he didnt help but actually is.

Or he might be lifting it, too.
rl4ieh2raw151.jpg

440 pounds at 265 pounds bodyweight is not really otherworldly. It is strong but its not some otherworldly accomplishment

Could be clean, could be juicing. My brother benched 415 clean before he started losing weight, so I’d imagine 440 is doable. That’s a good lift though whether he’s juicing or not

Come on, man. You know the Rules of F13;)

1)Anyone who can't lift as much as me is a weak little bitch.

2)Anyone who can lift more than me is a juicing cheater.

You're right, I've got the Castleberry special going on.

At 37? You've given me renewed hope. I thought 32 was too old to power lift.

32 proved to be too old for me to continue weightlifting, plenty of guys still seeing improvement in powerlifting in their 40's.

Fuck that guy, if you say he's juicing, he's juicing.

A 200kg bench is an insane amount of weight for any non-enhanced human who's not at a competitive level of powerlifting.

I hit 200 at under 110, 100% clean. I did it at 37 and have a repaired labrum on my left shoulder. I would expect it could easily be done by determined people with decent genetics and accommodating lifestyles.
Wait, you benched 200kg, at sub 110kg BW? Isn't that what the ranked total IPF guys are benching in the 105kg class, or am I mistaken?

Last edited:
A 200kg bench is an insane amount of weight for any non-enhanced human who's not at the elite level of powerlifting.

Wait, you benched 200kg, at sub 110kg BW? Isn't that what the ranked total IPF guys are benching in the 105kg class, or am I mistaken?

Anyone have additional perspective on this.

I don't think I mentioned but, the dude is, 53 yrs old?

I mean, them old school lifters, would it be totally unheard of to bench 200 kgs at 53 with 120 kgs BW but plenty of BF also?

And no he doesn't train exclusively for the bench press by any means.

He typically trains for enjoyment, gets a pump, OHP quite a bit, some machines etc.

Anyone have additional perspective on this.

I don't think I mentioned but, the dude is, 53 yrs old?

I mean, them old school lifters, would it be totally unheard of to bench 200 kgs at 53 with 120 kgs BW but plenty of BF also?
It wouldnt be unheard of at all, even at his age. He's a big guy and likely have years and years of experience. With that said, it would be rare, especially without gear.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even consider a 120kg person to be a somewhat strong bencher unless they were doing more than four plates.

It wouldnt be unheard of at all, even at his age. He's a big guy and likely have years and years of experience. With that said, it would be rare, especially without gear.

Well that's the quetion - with gear, doable.

Without though.....

Basically I'm trying to deduce if he's using gear.

the strongest bencher in the world before steroids only barely had that.
and @Sano s post also says a lot
I think the issue there is that bench wasnt popularized before the 20th century, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. Increasing the pool by millions and refining techniques will make any record, especially in a new lift, go up.

With that said, I agree. A 200kg/441lbs bench is not something most people will achieve, no matter how hard they train. Especially clean and not being 250+ lbs

Last edited:
Back