2008-2009 Anderson vs Jan

C0NCH3TO

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
At lhw, how do you think it would have ended?
Imo the Jan who beat Reyes gets KTFO into Narnia in less than 10 minutes.

Anderson wouldve hurt Jan standing...... and early .

Jan, like many others in the modern era, benefitted tremendously by still being around (and relatively healthy) when the division had basically become extinct. It's no coincidence a (let's be honest) very average fighter suddenly became a "world champion" after years of treading water during the same era when bottom feeder middleweights were jumping up a division and walking into title shots.

I like Jan and am happy he has made some money and gained some fame but I am also not buying into the hype machine that he suddenly became a world beater in his late 30s. Same goes for Glover who is at least more well rounded/accomplished than Jan ever was. These guys had both been around for YEARS and we had a pretty good idea of what they could/couldn't do but then suddenly, they're matched up with (as referenced earlier) a few journeymen MWs who are wildly overrated from the PR machine and they win. All good... but then suddenly people are saying Jones is ducking Jan and Glover would beat Jones in a rematch despite being absolutely handled by him in his prime? The recency biased is all too real.

Success in the current LHW division, just like the current MW division (where Derek freaking Brunson is ranked top 5), must be taken with a grain of salt. Any rational person can look at the rankings and see how paper thin they are (WW/LW getting there too) and that there is absolutely no doubt we are in one of the weakest eras of all time.

TL/DR: Anderson via murder. Jan is a likeable fighter but a glorified journeyman who would (and did) struggle in a deeper talent pool

Silva always had troubles with guys he doesnt have greater range than.

Probably Silva, as Silva's main weakness was decent wrestling, or at minimum the threat of wrestling. I think Bisping is the only non-wrestler (and Israel but he was prime while Silva was not) to have success with him on the feet, and no Bisping was absolutely NOT prime, both were past their prime, with you know, Bisping have ONE EYE.

And Jan is no Bisping who was 15-1 at LHW.;)

At lhw, how do you think it would have ended?
Imo the Jan who beat Reyes gets KTFO into Narnia in less than 10 minutes.
Anderson would not have taken the fight. He only moved up to fight cherry picked opponents.

Jan, like many others in the modern era, benefitted tremendously by still being around (and relatively healthy) when the division had basically become extinct. It's no coincidence a (let's be honest) very average fighter suddenly became a "world champion" after years of treading water during the same era when bottom feeder middleweights were jumping up a division and walking into title shots.

I like Jan and am happy he has made some money and gained some fame but I am also not buying into the hype machine that he suddenly became a world beater in his late 30s. Same goes for Glover who is at least more well rounded/accomplished than Jan ever was. These guys had both been around for YEARS and we had a pretty good idea of what they could/couldn't do but then suddenly, they're matched up with (as referenced earlier) a few journeymen MWs who are wildly overrated from the PR machine and they win. All good... but then suddenly people are saying Jones is ducking Jan and Glover would beat Jones in a rematch despite being absolutely handled by him in his prime? The recency biased is all too real.

Success in the current LHW division, just like the current MW division (where Derek freaking Brunson is ranked top 5), must be taken with a grain of salt. Any rational person can look at the rankings and see how paper thin they are (WW/LW getting there too) and that there is absolutely no doubt we are in one of the weakest eras of all time.

TL/DR: Anderson via murder. Jan is a likeable fighter but a glorified journeyman who would (and did) struggle in a deeper talent pool

this is why i feel so sorry for Gustasffson -

he was legit the #3 behind ATG Jones and Cormier at Light heavy.

He destroyed Texiera and beat Jan.

hes probably shaking his head right now that both guys he beat are former UFC champs now.

Gus vs Jiri would be magical

seems like he lost his desire after 2nd jones loss basically. Hopefully he can rebound at light heavy in 2 weeks , get a couple more wins and fight for the lt. heavy title again. Hes still young enough to give it one last shot.

this is why i feel so sorry for Gustasffson -

he was legit the #3 behind ATG Jones and Cormier at Light heavy.

He destroyed Texiera and beat Jan.

hes probably shaking his head right now that both guys he beat are former UFC champs now.

Gus vs Jiri would be magical

seems like he lost his desire after 2nd jones loss basically. Hopefully he can rebound at light heavy in 2 weeks , get a couple more wins and fight for the lt. heavy title again. Hes still young enough to give it one last shot.
I have no sympathy for Gus. He bought WAY too much into his own hype after doing much better than expected against Jones and pissed away his entire career. He could have come back hungrier and stronger after the controversial loss to Jones and fought his way back to a rematch but instead, he went the Rockhold route and became super salty on twitter and gave up on being a serious fighter.

He obviously had the talent to be one of the best LHWs but he has ZERO heart and lacks the mentality to be a professional fighter. Beyond winning the title which at the end of the day is a prop, the guy missed out of MILLIONS of dollars that he could have made simply by main eventing european fight night cards against mid tier competition taking very little damage in the process. Other fighters struggle to get any sort of publicity/push and this guy has the golden ticket and completely squandered it.

Seeing him try to make a comeback now at HW (am aware his next fight is rightfully at LHW) is embarrassing. 3 wins in the last decade ffs.... it is wayyy too late for him now. Guys like him, Rockhold, Costa, Yair, Colby, Edwards, and Ortega are sure going to regret being so inactive when they blow throw all of their money by age 50. In a career with such a short window to earn big money, I have no idea why a fighter would sit on the shelf for years at a time in the midst of their prime. Coaching/opening a gym are risky ventures with costs/volatility and should not be relied upon as some sort of "guaranteed career" after fighting

Back