NCAA Wrestling

Looks like J'Den to 86kg for Olympics. I'll still take a 100% Taylor over Cox. I think it's better for the team as well as I don't think J'Den gets by Yazdani-Charati.

I also think Dieringer, Zahid, and Bo will all be in the mix. That's going to be a really fun weight for team trials.

Kind of surprised he's making the cut but he has been training with Snyder a lot

Wow, Arujau beat the defending Junior Gold medalist from Russia in the semi 8-1.

David Carr just laced up a defending junior world champ and senior Euro bronze medalist 10-0 to make the finals.

Vito lost in the finals 3-2. Still looked very good this tournament. I’m looking forward to him vs. Lee next year.

Really disappointed with Brooks’ performance. Hoping it was just an off day for him.

Vito lost in the finals 3-2. Still looked very good this tournament. I’m looking forward to him vs. Lee next year.

Really disappointed with Brooks’ performance. Hoping it was just an off day for him.
Damn I was pulling for my guy from Long Island. This is his 2nd age group world silver medal now. Has he laced up for Cornell yet or about to be a redshirt freshman? Actually, I could see him taking an Olympic redshirt. Mekhi Lewis has announced he will be taking an Olympic redshirt.

Brooks got beat by a stud. He may have been the 3rd best guy in the bracket.

Damn I was pulling for my guy from Long Island. This is his 2nd age group world silver medal now. Has he laced up for Cornell yet or about to be a redshirt freshman? Actually, I could see him taking an Olympic redshirt. Mekhi Lewis has announced he will be taking an Olympic redshirt.

I’m excited about Lewis. 74 is going to be stacked: Burroughs, Dake, Imar, Nolf, Green and Lewis.

We should know soon about Vito. Part of me hopes he doesn’t take the Oly redshirt; I think he has a good shot at taking a championship this year. He took 4th last year with only 3-4 losses all season.

Brooks got beat by a stud. He may have been the 3rd best guy in the bracket.

I just had high expectations. I think most had him as good/silver this year. He has next to no chance of making the team next year. Wish he would have just started at Penn. St.

What is going on with Seth Petarra on twitter?

That moment when you're a two-time Senior world champion and a one-time Junior world champion; beat the best in your weight division - twice - then having got beat in the Japanese world trials, go back to the Junior level for the lols and don't give up a single point.

I really hope Susaki gets her shot at the 2020 Olympic games. She is definitely the best at 50kg and would be a lock. But she got beaten by the former world champion - who she already tech-falled.

I know Snyder has already tech-falled Baitsaev, but I am surprised at how effortless and easy Sadulaev made this look. Got 2 (or 4) for the chest-wrap counter -also got another 2 points from exposure? I don't agree with this score, but a 4-point chest-wrap makes sense, and 2 gut wrenches to make it 8-0 and another takedown to end it 10-0 all in around 30 seconds. Incredible. Baitsaev is a really good wrestler; won the Russian nationals and European Championships at 97kg despite being thrown around by Sadulaev.

Edit: not 30 seconds, the lady said "a minute has passed" at the end of the video lol

That moment when you're a two-time Senior world champion and a one-time Junior world champion; beat the best in your weight division - twice - then having got beat in the Japanese world trials, go back to the Junior level for the lols and don't give up a single point.

I really hope Susaki gets her shot at the 2020 Olympic games. She is definitely the best at 50kg and would be a lock. But she got beaten by the former world champion - who she already tech-falled.

IMO Susaki is the best female wrestler in the world right now. She also has all the qualities to be the star of the Japanese team for their home olympics (cute, smiley, small girl barely above school age, etc). She is undefeated internationally, just traded wins with Irie in the domestic tryouts with Irie coming out slightly ahead (Susaki had to rehab an elbow injury last year which may have something to do with that). Note that Irie isn't a world champion, in fact when she's competed internationally she's come up short at the Asian games/Championships twice, losing to Chinese and Indian wrestlers.

But, apparently the Japanese selection rule is if you win a medal at the sr wrld champs this year, you are in the olympic team. So if Irie only gets a bronze - which should be considered a failure - she goes instead of Susaki.

Quite a lot of potential selection headaches for Japan could come from that. It doesn't help that all their best men are stacked up in 1-2 weights, dem little people...
If only they could do a closed door selection and manipulate it to get the result they want, Russian style ;)

also it's unfair watching Susaki vs those juniors, there should be a rule against senior world champs competing vs kids lol. But, I guess she has to do something to keep busy since she didn't make the senior team.

I know Snyder has already tech-falled Baitsaev, but I am surprised at how effortless and easy Sadulaev made this look. Got 2 (or 4) for the chest-wrap counter -also got another 2 points from exposure? I don't agree with this score, but a 4-point chest-wrap makes sense, and 2 gut wrenches to make it 8-0 and another takedown to end it 10-0 all in around 30 seconds. Incredible. Baitsaev is a really good wrestler; won the Russian nationals and European Championships at 97kg despite being thrown around by Sadulaev.

Edit: not 30 seconds, the lady said "a minute has passed" at the end of the video lol

Baitsaev also won the Yarygin in one of the most stacked divisions ever. In 2013 the 97 kilo class of the Yarygin featured:
Yuri Belonovski - University World Champ, tons of other wins in tough tourneys.

Gadisov- world champ, Olympian, world silver.

Gatsalov- Olympic champ, many world titles.

Boltukaev- World bronze, Olympian.

Georgi Ketoev- World champ, Olympic bronze, world bronze.

Pavlo Olejnyik- World bronze x2, University world silver.

And a bunch more really good guys!

Dake wins match one 3-2. I’m still going with my Ringer prediction. I think we’ll see cardio play more of a factor in matches 2 and 3.

Dake is great at keeping position and athletic enough to avoid getting shot on - story of how he got gold last year without conceding any points. I don't think 79kg is really strong right now, but still a good challenge for anybody - but not much of a challenge for Dake lol. The only guy he lost to last year, he beat 11-0.

I think I read on Twitter that Sadulaev broke Baitsaev’s ribs on that gut wrench, just to give you an idea of his freakish strength. Sad is a small 97 and Baitsaev is freaking enormous.

Back