NCAA Wrestling

IMO Susaki is the best female wrestler in the world right now. She also has all the qualities to be the star of the Japanese team for their home olympics (cute, smiley, small girl barely above school age, etc). She is undefeated internationally, just traded wins with Irie in the domestic tryouts with Irie coming out slightly ahead (Susaki had to rehab an elbow injury last year which may have something to do with that). Note that Irie isn't a world champion, in fact when she's competed internationally she's come up short at the Asian games/Championships twice, losing to Chinese and Indian wrestlers.

But, apparently the Japanese selection rule is if you win a medal at the sr wrld champs this year, you are in the olympic team. So if Irie only gets a bronze - which should be considered a failure - she goes instead of Susaki.

Quite a lot of potential selection headaches for Japan could come from that. It doesn't help that all their best men are stacked up in 1-2 weights, dem little people...
If only they could do a closed door selection and manipulate it to get the result they want, Russian style ;)

also it's unfair watching Susaki vs those juniors, there should be a rule against senior world champs competing vs kids lol. But, I guess she has to do something to keep busy since she didn't make the senior team.
Agreed. She is really incredible. I even thought Stadnik would give her some trouble, but lol no - another tech fall. I thought Risako Kawai could have been the best right now, but she has lost this year, I think. At the Asian Games?

The Japan Nationals for the Olympic squad will be so close next year. Even the men's team, too. But it will be awesome, Kawai x2, Susaki, Yoshida, and so many of the lesser-known - but still world level - wrestlers in high school or college. The depth is insane.

and yeah, Susaki did the same thing last year and I still don't think she conceded a point... it is entertaining to watch her style on these girls who don't have a chance, but quite sad that these girls have no chance hahaha. I was happy to see Khvostova reaching the finals, until I saw that she would be facing Susaki haha.

Agreed. She is really incredible. I even thought Stadnik would give her some trouble, but lol no - another tech fall. I thought Risako Kawai could have been the best right now, but she has lost this year, I think. At the Asian Games?

The Japan Nationals for the Olympic squad will be so close next year. Even the men's team, too. But it will be awesome, Kawai x2, Susaki, Yoshida, and so many of the lesser-known - but still world level - wrestlers in high school or college. The depth is insane.

and yeah, Susaki did the same thing last year and I still don't think she conceded a point... it is entertaining to watch her style on these girls who don't have a chance, but quite sad that these girls have no chance hahaha. I was happy to see Khvostova reaching the finals, until I saw that she would be facing Susaki haha.

Yeah I thought Kawai was probably the #1 female wrestler after Yoshida/Icho retired but like you said she lost at the Asian Games, however that was to Purevdorj (who also ended Icho's 13 year unbeaten streak) who tested positive for teh roidz afterwards and got stripped of that title and is banned for a while, no 2020 for her ;)
She also lost to old woman Icho who made a comeback this year to try and make the team, but Kawai ultimately won the playoff match.

From what I understand, the Japan team is almost set already - their policy is, anyone who made the team and medals at worlds this year is automatically on the squad for the 2020 Olympics.
So any competition next year is only for weights they fail to medal in next month.

Which likely means:
Otoguro is in, Higuchi out (fair enough, Otoguro is world champ & Takahashi was as well)
Irie is in, Susaki is out (this would make me very uncomfortable if I was Japan coach lol)

This is their full team:
67092545_1387528431414267_4461077260706775040_o.jpg

Yeah I thought Kawai was probably the #1 female wrestler after Yoshida/Icho retired but like you said she lost at the Asian Games, however that was to Purevdorj (who also ended Icho's 13 year unbeaten streak) who tested positive for teh roidz afterwards and got stripped of that title and is banned for a while, no 2020 for her ;)
She also lost to old woman Icho who made a comeback this year to try and make the team, but Kawai ultimately won the playoff match.

From what I understand, the Japan team is almost set already - their policy is, anyone who made the team and medals at worlds this year is automatically on the squad for the 2020 Olympics.
So any competition next year is only for weights they fail to medal in next month.

Which likely means:
Otoguro is in, Higuchi out (fair enough, Otoguro is world champ & Takahashi was as well)
Irie is in, Susaki is out (this would make me very uncomfortable if I was Japan coach lol)

This is their full team:
67092545_1387528431414267_4461077260706775040_o.jpg
Do you think Irie is a lock for gold? Or to medal? I haven't really seen her wrestle much before, but I cannot imagine that she would be as close to a lock for gold, like Susaki is. I would have liked to see Higuchi at 61 for a while longer, but he must be too big for 57 now, so 65 is his best option - he even teched Otoguro, but ultimately was defeated for the spot.

I hope Kawai gets her revenge on Taybe Husein this year :p

Do you think Irie is a lock for gold? Or to medal? I haven't really seen her wrestle much before, but I cannot imagine that she would be as close to a lock for gold, like Susaki is.

We'll see but Irie has lost to Vinesh from India twice at Asian championships in the last couple of years. So I wouldn't call her a lock for gold, maybe close to a lock to medal which would suck if she gets a bronze and freezes Susaki out of the team... they'll have to come up with a way to break their selection rules maybe ;)

Zain and Yianni going at it in my home town. Like 3 days before they leave for worlds...brilliant.

Oh damn. tOSU has been struggling in freestyle after Lou R. Left for OU

I think I read on Twitter that Sadulaev broke Baitsaev’s ribs on that gut wrench, just to give you an idea of his freakish strength. Sad is a small 97 and Baitsaev is freaking enormous.
Mist definitely. Baitsaev has a bunch of medals at heavyweight.

Zain train going to worlds!

US team looking strong. Even stronger if Taylor could have wrestled. Good luck to all the wrestlers.

Pretty convinced we’re locked into second this year. Nolf at 70 and Taylor at 86 would’ve give us a shot, but now it’s very unlikely. On the flip side I don’t see any other team beating us, including Iran.

Pretty convinced we’re locked into second this year. Nolf at 70 and Taylor at 86 would’ve give us a shot, but now it’s very unlikely. On the flip side I don’t see any other team beating us, including Iran.
Is Nolf a lot better than Green? Green seems good, but he always loses matches against good opponents and matches that he should win - he should have beaten Byambadorj in Budapest. Mongolians haven't been very successful in wrestling right now. Looking back, I don't know how he made the 2017 finals.

Is Nolf a lot better than Green? Green seems good, but he always loses matches against good opponents and matches that he should win - he should have beaten Byambadorj in Budapest. Mongolians haven't been very successful in wrestling right now. Looking back, I don't know how he made the 2017 finals.

They were neck and neck at the US open. Green won by a point. I just think Nolf has far more room for growth seeing as he’s been doing very little freestyle the last couple years. In the time from the final X to WC I think he would have made considerable improvements. Green has been terribly inconsistent and is if anything regressing. All that said Nolf went to 74 and didn’t challenge for the 70 spot.

I think Green has been scouted and figured out at the higher levels. He's got a nasty shot to lace combo but he's so passive at times that he doesn't get to use it as much as I'd like to see. I think Green is slightly better right now but Nolf has a higher ceiling.

That said, I think the Nolf at 70 ship has sailed. Sounds like he outgrew the weight.

Here are my MFS picks in general and for Team USA (prior to draws).

57: Uguev, RUS
61: Yamaguchi, JPN
65: Otoguro, JPN
70: Baev, RUS
74: Sidakov, RUS
79: Dake, USA
86: Yazdani, IRI
92: Cox, USA
97: Sadulaev, RUS
125: Petriashvili, GEO

57/Fix: DNP
61/Graff: Bronze
65/Retherford: DNP
70/Green: DNP
74/Burroughs: Bronze
79/Dake: Gold
86/Downey: DNP
92/Cox: Gold
97/Snyder: Silver
125/Gwiz: Bronze

Last edited:
Here are my MFS picks in general and for Team USA (prior to draws).

57: Uguev, RUS
61: Yamaguchi, JPN
65: Otoguro, JPN
70: Baev, RUS
74: Sidakov, RUS
79: Dake, USA
86: Yazdani, IRI
92: Cox, USA
97: Sadulaev, RUS
125: Petriashvili, GEO

57/Fix: DNP
61/Graff: Bronze
65/Retherford: DNP
70/Green: DNP
74/Burroughs: Bronze
79/Dake: Gold
86/Downey: DNP
92/Cox: Gold
97/Snyder: Silver
125/Gwiz: Bronze
I am with you mostly; not sure about 61, I am going with Idrisov, or the Azerbaijani who beat up Bonne a few times before; 65 is a minefield.. I hope Rashidov will finally get his gold (third time is the charm..) and I think Akgul will beat Petriashvili, but the rest are the same. Looking forward to Baev and Sidakov.

Back