NCAA Wrestling

Moore out at American University.

Not sure why.

Students are making it to graduation, 2nd highest GPA in the country, getting alumni money coming in, and finding success in a university not known for wrestling.

Not sure why.

Students are making it to graduation, 2nd highest GPA in the country, getting alumni money coming in, and finding success in a university not known for wrestling.
He over promised after Cody’s last year and outside Terao didn’t produce an AA that wasn’t a Cody recruit

Not sure why.

He over promised after Cody’s last year and outside Terao didn’t produce an AA that wasn’t a Cody recruit

Does anybody know what the funding situation is like at American?

When I was in college I think they were below 50% of the 9.9 scholarships but that was 12 years ago.

It's a tough program to build due to the cost to attend and lack of funding.

When I was in college I think they were below 50% of the 9.9 scholarships but that was 12 years ago.

I’m aware. That’s why I think his over promising when he got there was a mistake. As far as timing. It could be several things. Almost all them not good at all. The least worst being not delivering

American would be an interesting case study regarding the amount of scholarships and how valuable they are to recruit. I do not know the inner workings of the program. However, all of the students I have taught in the past that went to AU found jobs right out of graduation. Plus, their campus is a 10 minute walk from the red line. DC is such a bubble that even if the economy slows for the rest of the country, DC still has decent paying jobs.

Coach: "While it is true that I can't give your kid a scholarship to wrestle for us, I can tell you that your kid will have a decent paying job with the Department of _____ or as a staffer for ______ if he joins our program."

Also, any chance they can convince Muz to leave Harvard to run the American University team?

American would be an interesting case study regarding the amount of scholarships and how valuable they are to recruit. I do not know the inner workings of the program. However, all of the students I have taught in the past that went to AU found jobs right out of graduation. Plus, their campus is a 10 minute walk from the red line. DC is such a bubble that even if the economy slows for the rest of the country, DC still has decent paying jobs.

Coach: "While it is true that I can't give your kid a scholarship to wrestle for us, I can tell you that your kid will have a decent paying job with the Department of _____ or as a staffer for ______ if he joins our program."

I think expensive schools also get less walk ons because if you're making that sort of financial commitment, wrestling is probably not a top priority in college.

That's why I was always so impressed with what Tom Ryan was able to do at Hofstra before he went to tOSU.

Last edited:
I think expensive schools also get less walk ons because if you're making that sort of financial commitment, wrestling is probably not a top priority in college.

That's why I was always so impressed with what Tom Ryan was able to do at Hofstra before he went to tOSU.
True, but the walk on quality is higher. Simply for the fact that you’re way less likely to get dumbasses or lazy kids on the team. The avg. walk on at a Drexel or Hofstra is much better than what you get at an App state

True, but the walk on quality is higher. Simply for the fact that you’re way less likely to get dumbasses or lazy kids on the team. The avg. walk on at a Drexel or Hofstra is much better than what you get at an App state

You think? Drexel has only had 2 All Americans in it's history and Hofsra was a bad program before Ryan and is back to being a bad program now. American is obviously in the same boat.

You think? Drexel has only had 2 All Americans in it's history and Hofsra was a bad program before Ryan and is back to being a bad program now. American is obviously in the same boat.
We’re talking about walk ons whos (I’m saying this as a walk on who earned a partial) main job is keeping team GPA up and providing training partners while they go through the learning curve up catching up to the higher level recruits.

It’s also usually bad walk-ons who are stupidest party kids and “usually” get in the most trouble and have crap grades. The things that actually get programs cut more than title IX.

A good walk-on that wrestled four years, has a 3.0+ GPA and maybe starts a little. Who then graduates with a great degree and becomes a donating alumni. Is way more productive to a team like Drexel’s survival than an AA

*not basing this on just my experience. My academic institution was not on the level of a Drexel or Hofstra

We’re talking about walk ons whos (I’m saying this as a walk on who earned a partial) main job is keeping team GPA up and providing training partners while they go through the learning curve up catching up to the higher level recruits.

It’s also usually bad walk-ons who are stupidest party kids and “usually” get in the most trouble and have crap grades. The things that actually get programs cut more than title IX.

A good walk-on that wrestled four years, has a 3.0+ GPA and maybe starts a little. Who then graduates with a great degree and becomes a donating alumni. Is way more productive to a team like Drexel’s survival than an AA

*not basing this on just my experience. My academic institution was not on the level of a Drexel or Hofstra

But I don't think Drexel and Hofstra get many 4 year walk-ons because of the cost and the academics.

My anecdotal experience is I walked on at Drexel and was a backup for 2 years. After the 2nd year I decided it just wasn't worth my time when I could be working a real job that paid to help alleviate soem of my future student debt.

I was the same grade as the varsity HWT and we were pretty even when we wrestled. Our sophomore year he won conferences and beat a couple of guys that went on to AA. The next 2 seasons he still qualified for NCAAS but he didn't win the conference again and didn't AA when he seemed like he was on that track.

He thinks it's because I wasn't there grinding it out with him everyday over his last 2 years. If I went to a Lock Haven or Bloomsburg where the cost is much cheaper I might have ridden it out.

So it's not just walk ons turning into AAs it's walk ons that help your scholarship guys get to the next level.

But I don't think Drexel and Hofstra get many 4 year walk-ons because of the cost and the academics.

My anecdotal experience is I walked on at Drexel and was a backup for 2 years. After the 2nd year I decided it just wasn't worth my time when I could be working a real job that paid to help alleviate soem of my future student debt.

I was the same grade as the varsity HWT and we were pretty even when we wrestled. Our sophomore year he won conferences and beat a couple of guys that went on to AA. The next 2 seasons he still qualified for NCAAS but he didn't win the conference again and didn't AA when he seemed like he was on that track.

He thinks it's because I wasn't there grinding it out with him everyday over his last 2 years. If I went to a Lock Haven or Bloomsburg where the cost is much cheaper I might have ridden it out.

So it's not just walk ons turning into AAs it's walk ons that help your scholarship guys get to the next level.
Fair enough. I think we’re on the same page overall

You'd think with Hofstra being down the block from one of the top JUCO teams in Nassau CC they'd have a nice well of talent trickling in (Just like Weidman, Hieron, Baroni, etc did). Add in the fact that Long Island wrestling is very strong. What gives?

Back