2019 Kentucky Derby (Controversy)

Whippy McGee

Surf 4 Life
@Steel
Reaction score
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/05/ke...y-country-house-maximum-security-replay-video

For the first time in the history of the Kentucky Derby, the horse that finished first was disqualified.

Although Maximum Security ran away with the race at the end, the horse and jockey Luis Saez were disqualified, and Country House and jockey Flavien Prat were declared the winners.Country House entered the 145th Kentucky Derby with 65-1 odds and had won just once in six starts, per the NBC broadcast.

After an objection and about a 20-minute review, officials determined that when Maximum Security moved up the track in the final turn, it impeded other horses, including Country House.

=============================================

Once there is a deceent shareable video, I will look to post it up.

I watched it live, with my wife. We had no favorites, but we watch the race every year. It seemed like the "contact" or event that cause the controversy was pretty weak. The best horse, that was disqualified, ran from wire to wire on a rainy, muddy track and never got a touch of dirt on it, nor did the jockey. They crossed the finish line with 1 1/2 horse lead in pristine condition while the field was a muddy mess.

Now, my wife will not watch the Preakness or Belmont this year, as she thinks the overturning of the results was completely out of control. I have to agree with her, because (1) my wife is hot, and (2) she is right, it sucked to see the best horse get a DQ for nothing I could tell affected the race results.

Who else watched it? What are your thoughts?

Considering the money involved and that the declared winner was a long shot, one has to wonder.

The Stewards made the correct call. It's a sucky way to win the Derby when you're not the best horse.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/05/ke...y-country-house-maximum-security-replay-video

For the first time in the history of the Kentucky Derby, the horse that finished first was disqualified.

Although Maximum Security ran away with the race at the end, the horse and jockey Luis Saez were disqualified, and Country House and jockey Flavien Prat were declared the winners.Country House entered the 145th Kentucky Derby with 65-1 odds and had won just once in six starts, per the NBC broadcast.

After an objection and about a 20-minute review, officials determined that when Maximum Security moved up the track in the final turn, it impeded other horses, including Country House.

=============================================

Once there is a deceent shareable video, I will look to post it up.

I watched it live, with my wife. We had no favorites, but we watch the race every year. It seemed like the "contact" or event that cause the controversy was pretty weak. The best horse, that was disqualified, ran from wire to wire on a rainy, muddy track and never got a touch of dirt on it, nor did the jockey. They crossed the finish line with 1 1/2 horse lead in pristine condition while the field was a muddy mess.

Now, my wife will not watch the Preakness or Belmont this year, as she thinks the overturning of the results was completely out of control. I have to agree with her, because (1) my wife is hot, and (2) she is right, it sucked to see the best horse get a DQ for nothing I could tell affected the race results.

Who else watched it? What are your thoughts?

I think this happened once before in the 60s.

Did the horse make contact with another horse? That would be the reason. These often are controversial and given it's the Derby that shit should be egregious to be called.

I think this happened once before in the 60s.

Did the horse make contact with another horse? That would be the reason. These often are controversial and given it's the Derby that shit should be egregious to be called.

You could barely tell, It was pretty ridiculous to be honest.

The best horse finished the line first, didn't create some discernible foul, and.... lost.

This is why more horses need to kneel for the anthem.

The Stewards made the correct call. It's a sucky way to win the Derby when you're not the best horse.

I am not real knowledgeable on horse racing, but damn that looked so ridiculously slight if anything, and didn't seem to affect anything.

It was bullshit. I bet heavy on Maximum Security for my H2Hs and to win it all at +785. I was going nuts when he pulled off the win!!

And then some crap objection. The 2nd place jockey made the objection and he wasn’t even the one affected by the drifting from Maximum Security.

It was bullshit. I bet heavy on Maximum Security for my H2Hs and to win it all at +785. I was going nuts when he pulled off the win!!

And then some crap objection. The 2nd place jockey made the objection and he wasn’t even the one affected by the drifting from Maximum Security.

It was ridiculous. As you say, the horse that was "interfered" with didn't seem to be affected much. 2nd Place horse was owned by Maximum Security.... but got the "win".

I literally shit into my pants when the result was overturned.

It was ridiculous. As you say, the horse that was "interfered" with didn't seem to be affected much. 2nd Place horse was owned by Maximum Security.... but got the "win".

Ya. That’s the part I don’t get. The horse that was “interfered” with didn’t complain!! And they were barely affected. Especially in a race as big as this. Like in other sports they let more go during certain games and points of the game.
And the 2nd place horse wasn’t affected at all and wasn’t going to catch Maximum Security. As the announcers were saying he was clearly the fastest horse.

I only watch the big three races but had no idea something like this could even happen. I mean, holy shit, They are animals. They don’t know the rules.

He stuck his behind in the face of the other horse and messed up that trio that was moving on the leadwr.
Good call

Over 4 hours of build up for a 2 minute race. It's like sex after marriage.

He stuck his behind in the face of the other horse and messed up that trio that was moving on the leadwr.
Good call
Its hard for people to accept...but he did come off the rail and mess up the lines.

Big Mike breaks it down.

Apparently, under the standardized rules used in most horse racing events around the world, Maximum Security would have never been denied the win.

zq9n9.gif

He crossed like four horses. Don’t see the issue.

Back