2019 Motorsports thread.

Watching the IMSA race at Lime Rock, I wondered why they switch drivers. It's a timed 2 hour and 40 minute race. Why can't one driver run the entire race?

NASCAR races run longer and only have one driver the entire race in conditions that are often much hotter.

because the series requires driver lineups that usually consist of two pros and one so called 'gentleman' driver, someone with a lot of money and moderate driving skills. no big nascar money here. the gentleman drivers help fund the team. a seat for the weekend can cost $50k easy.
each driver has to be behind the wheel for a certain amount of time to qualify for points.
sounds silly, but I think it's aimed at parity with an additional element of strategy.

because the series requires driver lineups that usually consist of two pros and one so called 'gentleman' driver, someone with a lot of money and moderate driving skills. no big nascar money here. the gentleman drivers help fund the team. a seat for the weekend can cost $50k easy.
each driver has to be behind the wheel for a certain amount of time to qualify for points.
sounds silly, but I think it's aimed at parity with an additional element of strategy.

It appears that the classification system is not really geared toward amateur drivers. I see why teams recruit NASCAR drivers who will be considered Bronze or Silver drivers because they don't have international experience. Then they can only race for one season if they are successful because they move up in classification.

https://lemanscup.com/en/news/what-is-a-bronze-driver/644

Vettel's car has a problem and he is unable to set a time in Q1 and will apparently start last in the German Grand Prix.

Ferrari doesn't send Leclerc out in Q3 so he will start 10th unless they have to change some component that incurs a penalty. Hamilton was fastest in Q2 and wins the pole in Q3. Verstappen was second and Bottas third.

Ferrari said Vettel had a turbo inlet air problem and Leclerc had a fuel problem.

Damn. Would have been a good quali. I think it would have been close with Ham and Lec for pole. Ham seemed to hook it up there on that first run in Q3.

Damn. Would have been a good quali. I think it would have been close with Ham and Lec for pole. Ham seemed to hook it up there on that first run in Q3.

Verstappen will be starting alongside Hamilton but on the soft tire While Hamilton and Bottas start on the medium tire. Verstappen will likely have to make two stops for tires while the Mercedes might only have to stop once. There is rain in the forecast as there was Saturday which could change the whole tire equation. Leclerc will also start on medium tires but from tenth. He might have to abuse his tires more to pass other cars. He also has more of a chance of getting tangled up in something at the start. Hamilton could also get tangled up with Verstappen at the start but I expect he would give way if things get bad knowing Verstappen is on soft tires. I wonder if Ferrari has found solutions for the problems in their cars. Verstappen also had power problems at the start of Q3.

Raining in Germany so apparently they will be doing laps behind the safety car to start. Looks like they will start on wet tires so the tire regulations won't matter.

Damn that race was a mess. Merc was an abysmal failure today. Was hoping the front runners could keep Vettel behind.

Only the third race I've watched from start to finish this season. No mercedes in site, plenty of pit stops, 7 DNF, best race I've seen in a while. Awesome alternative to this season's boring AF mercedes 1-2s. Get rid of them and we'd have some actual interesting races to watch. Kudos to Vettel as well for going 20th to 2nd. Kvyat also good stuff, hopefully him or Albon replace Gasly at Red Bull.

Crazy race. Vettel held it together while Bottas Hamilton and Leclerc blew it. Didnt see that coming lol. Kyvat looked great too.

Crazy race. Vettel held it together while Bottas Hamilton and Leclerc blew it. Didnt see that coming lol. Kyvat looked great too.

Yes, Hamilton was pitted from the lead under a safety car and they installed slicks instead of intermediate wet tires. He should have been told to be careful because he crashed in nearly the same location as Leclerc did. Then he compounded that error by entering the pit past the entry. Going another lap around would have given the team time to get a nose ready and decide tire strategy. The pit stop cost him 30 seconds plus another time penalty for entering illegally. That left the chase up to Bottas who wasn't up to the task. It was good to see Verstappen win. It's not often that a driver can do that with 5 pit stops and a spin.

Yes, Hamilton was pitted from the lead under a safety car and they installed slicks instead of intermediate wet tires. He should have been told to be careful because he crashed in nearly the same location as Leclerc did. Then he compounded that error by entering the pit past the entry. Going another lap around would have given the team time to get a nose ready and decide tire strategy. The pit stop cost him 30 seconds plus another time penalty for entering illegally. That left the chase up to Bottas who wasn't up to the task. It was good to see Verstappen win. It's not often that a driver can do that with 5 pit stops and a spin.
Both Alfa Romeos handed 30s penalties puting Hamilton and Kubica into the points. Good lord what a crazy day.

CRAzy race. The fact that leclerc got a fine for unsafe release was laughable. But fia used to bailing out the red car. Although most of these results can be chocked up to luck, we need these races every so often.

Did I read it right? The Torpedo kept it together long enough to get on the podium???

Yeah. Honestly surprised it took him his long. Lets see how he does from the front. Long run to turn 1. Anything can happen. I am predicting vintage max causing a collision.

He never seems particularly quick off the line so you may be right

Back