2021 motor racing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this thread. I’ll repeat my post

Sir Lewis still hasn’t signed a contract. Any chance that they don’t get a contract signed?

Just saw this thread. I’ll repeat my post

Sir Lewis still hasn’t signed a contract. Any chance that they don’t get a contract signed?

I don't think there is any chance that he won't sign with Mercedes again.

I don't think there is any chance that he won't sign with Mercedes again.
I was thinking the same thing. You have guys like Eddie Jordan out there saying he wouldn’t resign him. I guess that’s why Eddie doesn’t have a team anymore. Sure Sir Lewis will be expensive, but so are other drivers!

I wasn't aware of this rather major change for NASCAR for 2021. They are changing to single nut wheels instead of the traditional 5 lug nuts. They said it was done to facilitate the change to aluminum wheels. It has to raise the cost of racing considerably.
https://us.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-center-locking-wheels-nut/4711048/

Dumb. Takes the most difficult skill out of pit stops so now pit stops will be as bland and boring as every other motorsport.

Jimmy Johnson was 1.5 seconds off the pace in Indycar testing at Sebring.

The Rolex 24 is looking like a demolition derby. 4 full course yellows 2.5 hours in.

I didn't even know JJ retired. Guess he didn't wanna break the record of most titles.

I didn't even know JJ retired. Guess he didn't wanna break the record of most titles.

He hadn't been doing very well for the last few years. The rule changes didn't seem to fit his driving style.

I was thinking the same thing. You have guys like Eddie Jordan out there saying he wouldn’t resign him. I guess that’s why Eddie doesn’t have a team anymore. Sure Sir Lewis will be expensive, but so are other drivers!
How much is Hamilton asking for in comparison to other drivers? Russell didn't do him any favors when he went from being in the back of the pack every race to competing for the win just by switching to the Mercedes. I don't doubt Hamilton is the best driver, but if he is asking for multiples more than someone else I could see why Mercedes wouldn't bend to his demands.

How much is Hamilton asking for in comparison to other drivers? Russell didn't do him any favors when he went from being in the back of the pack every race to competing for the win just by switching to the Mercedes. I don't doubt Hamilton is the best driver, but if he is asking for multiples more than someone else I could see why Mercedes wouldn't bend to his demands.
I think he wants a raise and percentage of prize money from merc. Also a three year deal. The three years seems to be the sticking point. Not sure why when you have Fernando making good money at his age.

He hadn't been doing very well for the last few years. The rule changes didn't seem to fit his driving style.
Which is ironic considering he won so many titles because of the stupid chase format.

I think he wants a raise and percentage of prize money from merc. Also a three year deal. The three years seems to be the sticking point. Not sure why when you have Fernando making good money at his age.
Are there many other teams that could afford paying him what he is asking? What leverage does Hamilton actually have since I think he's broken just about every record. I found a site that says he wants 50 million a year, a percentage of win money, and a bigger voice in the company. I can see the bigger voice in the team, and maybe even the pay raise, but getting a percentage of the win money seems odd to me. I'm not overly familiar with the budget constraints that F1 and/or Mercedes has in place, but taking money from winnings would seem to hurt the people on the back end of the program (staff, engineers, etc.).

Are there many other teams that could afford paying him what he is asking? What leverage does Hamilton actually have since I think he's broken just about every record. I found a site that says he wants 50 million a year, a percentage of win money, and a bigger voice in the company. I can see the bigger voice in the team, and maybe even the pay raise, but getting a percentage of the win money seems odd to me. I'm not overly familiar with the budget constraints that F1 and/or Mercedes has in place, but taking money from winnings would seem to hurt the people on the back end of the program (staff, engineers, etc.).
F1 have been pretty tight with their contracts in the past, so not sure how out of the ordinary this is. Sounds like ham wants to be part of the team long after he stops racing.

It'd be so nice if they'd tell him to fuck off and just sign Russell.

Hamilton signs a one year deal with Mercedes. The one year contract is due to many factors including the lateness of the deal and the uncertainty of the future of Formula One racing as well as the future of Mercedes and Hamilton's racing career. Lewis might decide to retire if he wins an 8th title. Mercedes might leave the sport after next season as they focus on electric vehicles. Mercedes doesn't have much more to prove. They have won 7 constructors championships in a row to go along with 7 drivers championships. An 8th this year would leave Mercedes with most of the records other than total number of titles.

F1 bosses to discuss shorter 'sprint' races in place of qualifying to increase entertainment
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55992727

Qualifying for the Saturday race would take place on Friday.

The top eight drivers in the 'sprint' race would earn approximately half the points awarded for the grand prix.

The 'sprint' race would be about 100km - a third the length of a grand prix - and would replace qualifying, which takes place on Saturday afternoon or evening.

Qualifying for the sprint race would replace second practice, which is on Friday afternoon or evening.

The plan - the latest in a series of attempts to introduce sprint races in some form on Saturdays - is to be discussed at a meeting of the F1 Commission of senior figures.

To be passed, it needs a total of 28 out of 30 votes. Governing body the FIA and commercial rights holder F1 have 10 each, and the 10 teams one apiece.

Previous plans have not received the necessary support but this one has dropped the proposal for a reverse grid for the sprint race. Mercedes, who blocked the plan for a reverse-grid sprint race, are said to be open-minded on the new proposal.

One potential sticking point is that, according to sources, F1 is proposing only an extra $75,000 (£55,000) per team per race to cover the new approach.

This is nowhere near enough to cover the costs of any damage to cars in the shorter race - a front wing alone can cost as much as $200,000.

The article fails to mention the additional wear on the limited number of components that teams can use. They have three powerplants to use in a season before penalties are applied. They have 23 races on the 2021 schedule. The proposal is to try it at three races this season. In 2020 they only ran 17 races due to the pandemic. In 2019 there were 21 races and most teams didn't make it through without taking extra components and grid penalties.

They have also added a spending cap of $145 million for 2021. That drops to $140 million for 2022 and $135 million for 2023 through 2025. How can they expect teams to run more races for less money? They started cutting out Friday practice sessions last season leaving one Saturday practice and the qualifying session. This would probably mean one Friday practice session. Qualifying on Friday. The race on Saturday and the race on Sunday. Teams were cutting back on practice time to avoid the wear on the cars and using up the tire allotment for the weekend.

It seems that it would be foolish for teams to vote for this change. Most of the damage to cars happens from the standing start. Having twice as many would lead to twice as much carnage. The worst wrecks usually involve those further back in the starting grid who are also teams with tighter budgets that can't really afford the wrecks.

Hamilton signs a one year deal with Mercedes. The one year contract is due to many factors including the lateness of the deal and the uncertainty of the future of Formula One racing as well as the future of Mercedes and Hamilton's racing career. Lewis might decide to retire if he wins an 8th title. Mercedes might leave the sport after next season as they focus on electric vehicles. Mercedes doesn't have much more to prove. They have won 7 constructors championships in a row to go along with 7 drivers championships. An 8th this year would leave Mercedes with most of the records other than total number of titles.
Yeah. I saw that. Seems reasonable. And if they stay, they will have two open spots next season to determine a line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back