2021 motor racing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Not sure if it’s to give other teams a better chance. But the teams with money will figure out a way to excel at this if they are behind.

Teams have a limited number of components to use before they start being accessed grid penalties so pushing hard could lead to crashes or component failure and worse starting positions over time. All teams have the same spending limits but many don't have enough backing to be able to spend the maximum allowed. Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go?

I think they are also cutting out Friday practices at some races. They will just have one practice on Saturday morning followed by qualifying and the race on Sunday.

Bottas was fastest in the first practice this morning. Ahead of max and checo respectively.

0n another note, I’ve been watching drive to survive. It’s pretty good, the latest season at least. They focus less on the title races, but the politics and back stories, so pretty good.

Sir Lewis goes fastest in fp2. Followed by max and valteri. There was a little delay because of storm drains coming loose. That was an issue last year also. Can’t remember if it was this track though.

Max fastest in the last practice session.
Merc working on an issue with valteris car 20 or so minutes before quali. Not sure what the issue is.

Verstappen exceeded track limits on his early run in Q3 so he had to take it easy to set a time and got third place as Bottas takes pole with Hamilton second.

Should be another interesting start with the Mercedes on the medium tires in the front row and the Red Bulls in the second row on soft tires. It could also play out in some interesting tire strategy. Can the Mercedes stop once and will the Red Bulls have to stop twice?

Should be another interesting start with the Mercedes on the medium tires in the front row and the Red Bulls in the second row on soft tires. It could also play out in some interesting tire strategy. Can the Mercedes stop once and will the Red Bulls have to stop twice?
Are both red bulls on softs? I thought max was on mediums. He did his q3 fast run on softs, but thought he did the q2 run on meds. Could be wrong. I know he came out on softs at the end of q2. Thought he abandoned. I’ll check.
Still, should be interesting. The mercs can’t seem to get the softs as turned on as others, but looks like will be a mess/hard race.

valteri stops Lewis from getting his 100 pole. He will try that all season if he can!

Are both red bulls on softs? I thought max was on mediums. He did his q3 fast run on softs, but thought he did the q2 run on meds. Could be wrong. I know he came out on softs at the end of q2. Thought he abandoned. I’ll check.
Still, should be interesting. The mercs can’t seem to get the softs as turned on as others, but looks like will be a mess/hard race.

valteri stops Lewis from getting his 100 pole. He will try that all season if he can!

Maybe the F1 site had the tires from Q3 instead of the starting tires on their starting grid. The starting grid they currently have up doesn't have the tires listed. I thought Verstappen and Perez were on mediums in Q2 but it was difficult to keep track of who was getting lap times deleted and it got pretty hectic at the end of Q2 as positions were being swapped.

The Indycars are racing in Texas tonight and tomorrow weather permitting. There are rain showers around them. Texas isn't a place they want a sudden shower.

Raikonnen runs into the other Alfa knocking off his front wing and taking himself out of the race at the end of the first lap bringing out a safety car. Giovanazzi was lucky that it didn't cut his left rear tire. Really stupid running into a team mate.

Hamilton passes both Verstappen and Bottas under racing conditions to win.
Mercedes screwed up and almost allowed Verstappen to pick up the point for fastest lap. Perez had it and Bottas had enough of a lead in 3rd to pit without losing 3rd place so Mercedes brought him in to change to soft tires to set fastest lap. That allowed Red Bull to pit Verstappen to try to set fast lap. Mercedes was lucky that Verstappen exceeded the track limits or he would have had fastest lap.

Max got ham good on that restart. Timed it perfectly and Lewis was a sitting duck. Bottas had a chance to get max or at least attempt a takeover late, but looks like he had some problems. Perez getting held up by Nikita was shitty. Lucky it didn’t effect the outcome of the race. Mazspin got a 5 second penalty for it.

He followed Bottas closely for so long that I thought he would have to abandon it and try the undercut or something. But Bottas had the pit strategy as leader. That move he made around the outside was cool. He just seems to manage his race, car, tires so well compared to everyone else. He has so much experience that he doesn’t lose his cool when he doesn’t have track position.

Max got ham good on that restart. Timed it perfectly and Lewis was a sitting duck. Bottas had a chance to get max or at least attempt a takeover late, but looks like he had some problems. Perez getting held up by Nikita was shitty. Lucky it didn’t effect the outcome of the race. Mazspin got a 5 second penalty for it.

Giving a driver getting lapped a 5 second penalty for failing to move over is just plain silly. He's over a minute behind and in last place. It's not really a penalty.

Saw that Bobby Unser passed away. Rip. Legendary racing family. Don’t know how many Indy 500 wins between them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back