2022 College football thread The bidding wars begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The college football world really does go crazy when it looks like USC is on the come up

The college football world really does go crazy when it looks like USC is on the come up

Former NFL QB Charlie Batch Offers Caleb Williams $1 Million to Play at Eastern Michigan
https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/...b-williams-transfer-eastern-michigan-nil-deal

I don't think Caleb takes it since his main goal is to make the big $ in the NFL. I think a college would have to blow away what USC NIL $ wise or have a much better Offensive Coordinator than Lincoln Riley. I think the rumor is he's getting $2M+ for Beats which is a lot of money and a cool brand name.

@SoCalprodigy09 Did you watch Two a Days when they played against Joe McKnight?

Tbh college football had so little parity during the C4P system i don't think it's possible for this to make it worse. And while that sounds like a jinx it isn't when there's just 4 spots I can not see the next decade being less competitive.

The big powers were already having bidding wars before as they were(rightfully) doing everything they could to get around the NCAA nonsense. This either changes nothing or marginally helps the middle powers. College football is the least competitive sport in the world with the exception of mens tennis in the 2010s. The smaller schools already have no shot why do you think your Urban Meyer types have a mental breakdown once they've lost their plot armor? They are really used to just showing up and getting the W 9 out of 10 times. It really can't get any worse.

@therealdope Did you know Gainesville and Toronto share the same nickname?

lol shit is going to get crazy if these kids start signing contracts with schools. May even see some of them bypass the draft to stay an extra year in college if they’re not guaranteed top picks.

Good for them tho. That said from a competition standpoint I still prefer them playing for the love of the school, game, or whatever rather than the money. But because of the risk involved with this sport specifically, I get wanting the money.

Schools with the best boosters are going to be insane. I can see Texas, USC and a few others rising up to compete with Bama now that money is on the table.

Would be interesting if ND finally lifted their academic standard too because it would be hard to compete with the money they could potentially throw around.

Really wish they stop calling people 18-23 "kids".

Treat them like they are.... adults

Hogtown.
What's the Big Smoke for?

Older Canadians would call it the big smoke as in 'the big city', because of the factories and all of the cars, as compared to rural/smaller places (which Canada is full of).

I grew up in Toronto but left in the 90s. A lot of people refer to Toronto now as "the GTA", Greater Toronto Area, as there are several municipalities that now make up city planning. A newer thing is to call Toronto "the 6", referring to the 6 municipalities. I'd never heard of that until the Raptors 2019 run.

I didn't know Jacksonville was known as 'hogtown', I would expected that to be some place in North Carolina.

Dark, dark days ahead for A&M?

Screenshot-20220509-163810-Samsung-Internet.jpg

@SoCalprodigy09 Did you watch Two a Days when they played against Joe McKnight?

Nah I couldn't really get into that show. MTV should have went for De La Salle or Oaks Christian with Jimmy Claussen.

Don't worry, our band has a white Bronco with red hand prints somewhere in storage just for that occasion.

I don't think this generation understands that reference

<2>

Conferences no longer have to have divisions or play a round robin schedule to have a conference title game. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back