2022 Motor racing thread

Albon had to have his appendix removed so De Vries will drive his Williams for the rest of the weekend. The F1 website had the times an hour late today.

Dare I say it but Ferrari might actually win one this weekend. Merc looks to be out of it with Ham’s penalty and heavy porpoising back. Max is probably still the favorite, even with the penalty, but this is one of the worst tracks for passing so if Charles qualifies well then he has a good chance (unless he’s defeated by his own pit wall)

Dare I say it but Ferrari might actually win one this weekend. Merc looks to be out of it with Ham’s penalty and heavy porpoising back. Max is probably still the favorite, even with the penalty, but this is one of the worst tracks for passing so if Charles qualifies well then he has a good chance (unless he’s defeated by his own pit wall)

Max only has a 5 place penalty and has been fast so he might be starting in 6th. Ferrari will find a way to screw up.

Now comes the sorting out of the starting grid.

Leclerc is done. His heart says win, his mind says, please god don’t crash. He will crash again. Max with the win.

I wasn't certain how F1 would sort out all of the grid penalties but here is the starting order for the race Sunday.

Sainz qualified highest of the three drivers hit with a back of the grid penalty, and therefore starts 18th ahead of Hamilton and Yuki Tsunoda.

F1 Italian GP - Published Starting Grid

Cla
Driver Chassis Engine
1 Charles Leclerc Ferrari Ferrari
2 George Russell Mercedes Mercedes
3 Lando Norris McLaren Mercedes
4 Daniel Ricciardo McLaren Mercedes
5 Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri Red Bull
6 Fernando Alonso Alpine Renault
7 Max Verstappen Red Bull Red Bull
8 Nyck de Vries Williams Mercedes
9 Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo Ferrari
10 Nicholas Latifi Williams Mercedes
11 Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin Mercedes
12 Lance Stroll Aston Martin Mercedes
13 Sergio Perez Red Bull Red Bull
14 Esteban Ocon Alpine Renault
15 Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo Ferrari
16 Kevin Magnussen Haas Ferrari
17 Mick Schumacher Haas Ferrari
18 Carlos Sainz Ferrari Ferrari
19 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes Mercedes
20 Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri Red Bull

Verstappen starts behind Gasly's Alpha Tauri who I expect to pull over and let Max by. Alonso might not be as easy but Gasly can block him. That just leaves Ricciardo, Norris, Russell and Leclerc.

Clean start at monza. Max moved from 7 to 2 in 5 laps. Top three are on softs. Let’s see if that plays out. Sainz looking handy down the pack on mediums.

It seems like we are at the point where it doesn't really matter where Max starts, he's going to win. Barring a DNF, I think Singapore, maybe Suzuka, is the only track where we may see a different winner.

What a shit way to end Monza
Pretty shit race overall. Actually a shit weekend overall. The penalty fiasco ruined qualifying as it pretty much didn't matter. They need to change the penalty system or give them more allocations of parts/engines and make it so a race cannot end under a SC.

It seems like we are at the point where it doesn't really matter where Max starts, he's going to win. Barring a DNF, I think Singapore, maybe Suzuka, is the only track where we may see a different winner.
He could sit out the rest of the season and still win. Red bull knows that Ferrari are under pressure to not screw up strategy, that even if Ferrari make the right call, red bull does the opposite to make Ferrari question themselves.

Goddamnit what a bull shit ending.

At this point Max isn’t competing against the field, he’s competing against Seb’s 2013 records.

Dogshit ending. Masi woulda red flagged it so we could go CAR RACING.. bring him back.

Masi would only have done that if Max was in second place. If Max had been leading last year, the race would have ended under the safety car like this race did.

Masi would only have done that if Max was in second place. If Max had been leading last year, the race would have ended under the safety car like this race did.
If Lewis was in first they would have closed the pit lane for Mercedes cars only and allowed everyone else to get on fresh softs so he would lose. Everyone's out to get him.

F1 driver Albon suffered ‘respiratory failure’ after surgery

“Following surgery, Alex suffered with unexpected post-operative anaesthetic complications which led to respiratory failure, a known but uncommon complication,” Williams said. “He was re-intubated and transferred to intensive care for support.

“He made excellent progress overnight and was able to be removed from mechanical ventilation yesterday morning. He has now been transferred to a general ward and is expected to return home tomorrow. There were no other complications.”
https://apnews.com/article/sports-health-formula-one-appendicitis-418c78223a52855deab7b7d47a04414f

I’ll be damned, Ferrari actually made a good call and saved Charles from himself in Q2

Back