2022 Motor racing thread

Red bull seems to have screwed max out of pole. He was on a good lap. Did they ask him to abort that to charge up for another lap on a ramped up circuit and then realize he didn’t have enough fuel. You could see horners face as max started his final lap, like shit, we fucked up. But let’s see what the story is.

Red bull seems to have screwed max out of pole. He was on a good lap. Did they ask him to abort that to charge up for another lap on a ramped up circuit and then realize he didn’t have enough fuel. You could see horners face as max started his final lap, like shit, we fucked up. But let’s see what the story is.

I read confirmation that fuel was the issue in the final lap. Not sure why or how that figures into the aborted lap. Regardless it should make for a more interesting race tomorrow.

I think Red Bull was looking for a fast lap and sent him out as low on fuel as possible to make the car lighter. Max was on a fast lap but pulled up for some reason in the last sector. He had enough time for another lap but they hadn't put enough fuel on board to do another lap and get back to the pit with enough fuel on board. Maybe Red Bull can't afford fuel and still stay under the cap. From this excerpt it sounds like Red Bull expected 6 laps in Q3 and fueled accordingly. Maybe the car was using more fuel than expected. If it did, it might have been going over the amount of fuel flow permitted by F1.
Verstappen confirmed he was ordered to pit by Red Bull on his final lap because he was about to run out of fuel, which would have led him to be disqualified from qualifying and forced to start the race from the back of the grid.

"I already felt it was on the lap before as well, but then they told me to abort so I said OK we can do that but then on the final lap they told me to box and then I realised what was going to happen. We ran out of fuel," Verstappen told Sky Sports F1.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...alifying-fuel-error-shouldnt-happen/10377675/

In other F1 news, Karen Horner seems particularly upset that it is being insinuated that Red Bull was over the spending cap in 2021. Horner is threatening to sue over it. How he could sue for someone saying there are rumors that Red Bull and Alpine are over the cap is laughable. His bluster is reminiscent of someone getting caught for something, denying it and threatening to sue before losing in court.

The financial reports are due out Wednesday. Why it has taken F1 9 months to figure out the financial statements is another mystery. I guess they think the longer they wait the less controversy there will be. When I first heard about it, I thought it was for this season because Horner had been whining for some time that some teams would have to withdraw from the last races because the costs had gone up.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ion-red-bull-mercedes-f1-singapore-qualifying

It might get interesting on Wednesday. Then again, it might be like other rules that F1 just ignores.

Delaying the race by an hour after the rain has completely stopped, so stupid. It's like they are not allowed to race in the rain anymore.

Over an hour delay for the start of the Singapore race because of rain. It will be difficult for the track to dry at night as was seen in qualifying.

Delaying the race by an hour after the rain has completely stopped, so stupid. It's like they are not allowed to race in the rain anymore.

It seems that F1 has pretty much given up on racing in the rain. It does get difficult to see in the spray with the aerodynamic effects and large tires. They used intermediate tires in practice and qualifying so I don't know who has what left. They only get 4 sets of intermediate tires and 3 sets of wet tires for the weekend. We saw in qualifying that there are certain sections of the track that dry very slowly and of course racing at night means less chance of drying.

Last edited:
They just announced that the top teams only have one new set of intermediate tires.

It seems that F1 has pretty much given up on racing in the rain. It does get difficult to see in the spray with the aerodynamic effects and large tires. They used intermediate tires in practice and qualifying so I don't know who has what left. They only get 4 sets if intermediate tires and 3 sets of wet tires for the weekend. We saw in qualifying that there are certain sections of the track that dry very slowly and of course racing at night means less chance of drying.
The only thing I can think of is because of how it was a massive downpour then completely stopped and that the race start procedure hasn't started yet. Had they gotten to the grid then this rain came through, it may have started under full wets. Either way the 30 minute delay to open the pit lane was too much.
They just announced that the top teams only have one new set of intermediate tires.
That shouldn't be an issue since there is no more rain in the forecast. With all 20 cars running the track will dry fast making it a one stop race to slicks.

MotoGP title hunt has narrowed to just to 2 points with 3 races remaining. Pecco Bagnaia has closed the gap in a big way over the last half a dozen or so races. Shaping up to be an exciting championship finish

Pretty decent results from my perspective - good points for Ferrari, a nice Checo win in Checo style and no walk away win for Max. That said, I think I could do with out this stop on the schedule. I just find it an ugly race/track to watch.

FIA delays publication of its inquiries into whether any team breached F1 budget cap in 2021

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/63134455

It seems that the FIA has decided that it needs more time to complete it's audit of last season's budget cap figures. To me, this is joke. What shitty accounting firms do they have that take so long to compile a spreadsheet? What can they complete in 5 more days?

I suspect that they want to wait until Verstappen clinches this season's title before they present those budget cap figures from 2021. Verstappen could have clinched it last weekend without the trouble in qualifying. Maybe they want to allow Red Bull to have their championship celebration before making the announcement. Surely if the figures were good news for Red Bull, they wouldn't want to leave this cloud hanging over them by waiting until Monday to make the announcement. The Monday announcement will allow 2 weeks before the race in Texas for a cooling down period. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the FIA added even further delays to try to get to the end of the season without making any announcement.

Verstappen pulled a bonehead move in Q3. He was running slow on an outlap in the middle of the track. Lando Norris came up on him to pass him on the left and Max turned left, forcing Lando to run his left wheels off the track to avoid a collision. Max claimed that his car turned while he was accelerating. The stewards are investigating so there is a chance that Verstappen could lose the pole position but since it's Verstappen, I don't expect any penalty.

NASCAR teams call revenue model ‘broken,’ warn of layoffs
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The most powerful teams in NASCAR warned Friday that the venerable stock car racing series has a “broken” economic model that is unfair and has little to no chance of long-term stability, a stunning announcement that added to a growing list of woes.

The Cup Series is heading into the Charlotte Motor Speedway road course playoff elimination race Sunday with three full-time drivers sidelined with injuries suffered in NASCAR’s new car and no clear answer as to how to fix the safety concerns.

With just five races left in the championship chase, it got much worse as teams went public with their year-long fight with NASCAR over equitable revenue distribution.
https://apnews.com/article/sports-a...-formula-one-00c6f2f2d4f9727ae21bb3dfbb742aec

It's one of the oldest stories in racing. The payout between the sanctioning body, the tracks and the race teams.
Back when I was involved in racing on dirt tracks in the early 70s, there was one track that ran 3 classes of cars, street stocks, hobby stocks and late models. There were usually around 50 street stock cars, 25 hobby stock cars and 10 or fewer late model cars. They would run 4 street stock heat races, 2 hobby stock heat races and 2 late model heat races. It cost $10 to enter a street stock car for the night and $6 per person to get into the pits. Most cars had 3 or more people with the car so the street stock cars would pay in $500 in entry fees and $900 in admission fees. The payout for the class was $25, $15 and $5 for first second and third in the heat and $50, $30 and $20 for first second and third in the feature race for a grand total of a $235 purse. The street stock cars had to show up an hour before the races started to pack the track. We met with the track owner to try to get more money. We thought we should get the entry fees and admission back but that it was at least fair that the class get the $500 in entry fees they paid back in prize money. The track owner said he needed that money to for prizes for the late model class because that's who the fans came to see. We told him that most of the fans were there because they knew someone who raced a street stock car. As one racer put it, racers paying to get into the race track was like a clown paying to perform in the circus. The owner wouldn't give in so those of us in the street stock class boycotted the track the next week. Everybody made sure all of the people that went to watch them knew about it. One of the racers lived in a town about 20 miles from that track where there was an old dirt track and he invited everybody to come there to race and 40 cars showed up. That track is still going today and the other track shut down the year we left.

Verstappen pulled a bonehead move in Q3. He was running slow on an outlap in the middle of the track. Lando Norris came up on him to pass him on the left and Max turned left, forcing Lando to run his left wheels off the track to avoid a collision. Max claimed that his car turned while he was accelerating. The stewards are investigating so there is a chance that Verstappen could lose the pole position but since it's Verstappen, I don't expect any penalty.
"but since it's Verstappen, I don't expect any penalty"

Cry me a river

Cry me a river
The constant Max/RB conspiracy theories in this thread are so fucking funny. Merc stans really can't handle someone else winning for a change. It must be cause they're cheating!

No one gets penalties for incidents where both drivers are on outlaps

Last edited:

Cry me a river
lol so true. i mean people that live in usa are just crazy with their accusations. i mean perez and his i am mistreaded because i am mexican would have rave reviews and be spread through bull horn but in rest of the world media is like "why do you think you are mistreated solly because you are mexican can you explain" and perez had to back track it with i am emotional excuse. guy thought world media is american media who will right away elevate him to victim and attack good old white men.

Congrats to max on winning his second title. He dominated all year. In classic leclerc fashion, he gave max the title by taking a penalty. Leclerc is going to be permanently mentally destroyed from this season. Red bull had the better car, but when ferarri was was tracks that suited them, they pissed those races away in what could have been a closer season. Couple that with strategy that boggled the mind and ferarri won’t win a title with these morons in charge.

Back