Economy 22 Studies Agree Medicare for All Would Save Money

I haven't looked much into the idea of if a government run program, such as Medicare, would save money. It might. I suspect though if we make all health care workers government employees, health care workers will band together and vote into office politicians that do their bidding. It's easy for health care workers to scare politicians to do what they want. All they need to do is to say, your policy is killing Americans. That tends to get politicians scrambling.

What is it, I believe Medicare pays .87 cents on the dollar of medical expenses. As a result it is insurance holders that pay more to cover Medicare losses. I guess that is why many doctors will not see Medicare patients. At least this is what I've read. I have my doubts that lower cost will remain the case if everyone is on Medicare.

Medicare only covers 80% of costs. Patients pay the other 20%. I've read retirement articles saying that one should expect to pay about $300,000 out of pocket once on Medicare.

I've though the idea of requiring Americans to shop around and compare medical prices an excellent idea. We do that with most everything else but for some reason we don't with health care. I belong to a Christian Health savings health coverage group that asks members to compare prices. It's similar to insurance but has some differences.

It's amazing at how large the price differences can be between hospitals. There are many articles that can be seen on this with an internet search. The savings health group I belong to just raised their prices for the first time in 12 years. And prices for coverage still remain low. This is due to members shopping around for their health care.

It would be nice if the government passed a law requiring hospitals and insurance companies to provide costs to insurance holders. Currently only out of pocket prices are available for price comparison.

"Huge health care price differences even within same area, by state"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...erences-even-within-same-area-state/83340550/

excerpt:

Huge variations exist in the prices of some of the most common medical procedures across state lines, by according to a report major insurers released Wednesday, but some experts say the data is of little use to consumers who rarely know what they owe until the bills arrive.

The insurer-funded Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) won’t disclose which hospitals or doctors are the high-price culprits and instead are releasing how much states' average prices differ from national average.

California, for example, has average prices that are the same as the U.S. averages for dozens of the most common procedures, including pregnancy ultrasounds and cataract surgery. But Clearhealthcosts.com, which compiles prices in 10 metro areas using data from consumers, doctors and hospitals and its own staff members' research, finds a huge price disparity within a 100-mile radius of San Francisco for some procedures.

The cash price for a lower-back MRI without dye ranges from $475 at the Castro Valley Open MRI to a whopping $6,221 at the University of California, San Francisco at Mt. Zion. Patients pre-paying or paying on the day of service at UCSF, however, get 40% off.....

This is how the left tries to fool people with propgaghanda

""22 studies say"

"2000 scientists say"

"The condenses is"

No room for discussion and facts and no presentation of anything of substance.

So forcing people to pay for insurance that they can't afford is a better system? The same system that left 30 million with no insurance and 50 million with little insurance.

I'm pretty sure in Switzerland the government plays a role in setting prices (to keep costs down), and the insurance people are required to buy is non-profit.

My Premiums have skyrocketed since our lovely Govt. got involved. Giving the Govt. control of that much money is a fool's errand. Especially our corrupt and incompetent lawmakers. We HAD good insurance for most of my life. A system with lots of choices and low premiums. Then we elected Obama.... and now it's absolute shit. THEY fucked it up beyond recognition and NOW they want us to let THEM fix it? No thanks. They're fucking liars and all this would do is create a two tier system where the poor get crappy insurance the rest of us would pay cash.
How have your premiums been since trump repeal and replace?

""22 studies say"

"2000 scientists say"

"The condenses is"

I think you mean "consensus" but who knows when you spout bullshit.

Well here is some propaganda for you.

30 million people with no healthcare. 50 million with inadequate healthcare. There are more people with no healthcare or very little than there are Hispanic people in this country.

But sure man. The status quo you preach is working very well.

30 million people with no healthcare. 50 million with inadequate healthcare. There are more people with no healthcare or very little than there are Hispanic people in this country.

Look at his location.

In Thailand, government-funded health care is funded by the Department of Medical Services at the Ministry of Public Health. ... Treatment is completely free for Thai citizens holding a Universal Coverage Health card, except on Saturdays, when a charge is made.

From Wiki

""22 studies say"

"2000 scientists say"

"The condenses is"

Before the introduction of Thailand’s Universal Coverage Scheme in 2001, the insurance programmes in place had provided patchy and often unaffordable coverage. As a result, around a quarter of people in the country were uninsured.

The UCS provides coverage to three quarters of the population (approximately 47 million people) and accounts for 17% of the country’s healthcare expenditure. Funded through taxes, it places the biggest cost burden on those that are most able to afford it. Consequently, the biggest beneficiaries of the scheme have been those with the lowest income, in particular women of child-bearing age.

In the decade since the UCS was introduced, the correlation between poverty and infant mortality disappeared. Alongside this, there was a more or less immediate improvement in the number of people that were prevented from going to work through illness, particularly at the older end of the workforce. By 2011, 98% of the population had access to healthcare.

The Thai government has learned from other health systems internationally, and is able to use the sheer scale of the UCS as leverage to gain purchasing power and secure medicines at lower cost. And, of course, the UCS was not magicked out of thin air: it came after decades of wrangling the healthcare infrastructure to meet demand, including building up rural provision.

Source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019...ire-population-and-the-results-were-dramatic/

No that was @LogicalInsanity

@D 1 Wrestler strikes me as an "everyone gets a trophy" kid all grown up and wondering why the real world is so tough and is wondering when the grown ups are going to step in and do everything for him.
Nah, my dad grew up on a farm, wouldn't have gone to college if not for wrestling. Raised on hard work, working harder than your opponent but also being smarter. Both parents came from deep red areas as kids and their extended families are still hard right living paycheck to paycheck. My dad considered church a cash grab once he left rural PA and saw the real world they both also became dem and still are. I own a house (re financing to a 15 year this week actually, currently 20 left) and major renovation last year. My kids have 529 accounts which will cover most if not all of college, and have 401k, Roth IRA and an ESOP. Despite all that I still like the idea of medicare for all and free college . People that work hard and are smart make a lot more money than you , even dems. And even under bernie that would still be the case. The lower class would simply be a little better off. That's a win win to me.

""22 studies say"

"2000 scientists say"

"The condenses is"

No retard. Those ARE facts.

i wrote consensus but was typing on my phone and the auto correct sucks

Before the introduction of Thailand’s Universal Coverage Scheme in 2001, the insurance programmes in place had provided patchy and often unaffordable coverage. As a result, around a quarter of people in the country were uninsured.

The UCS provides coverage to three quarters of the population (approximately 47 million people) and accounts for 17% of the country’s healthcare expenditure. Funded through taxes, it places the biggest cost burden on those that are most able to afford it. Consequently, the biggest beneficiaries of the scheme have been those with the lowest income, in particular women of child-bearing age.

In the decade since the UCS was introduced, the correlation between poverty and infant mortality disappeared. Alongside this, there was a more or less immediate improvement in the number of people that were prevented from going to work through illness, particularly at the older end of the workforce. By 2011, 98% of the population had access to healthcare.

The Thai government has learned from other health systems internationally, and is able to use the sheer scale of the UCS as leverage to gain purchasing power and secure medicines at lower cost. And, of course, the UCS was not magicked out of thin air: it came after decades of wrangling the healthcare infrastructure to meet demand, including building up rural provision.

Source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019...ire-population-and-the-results-were-dramatic/

Shhhhh, stop spreading all that well sourced propaganda that has been proven to work all over the world. You aren't even giving @Oeshon a chance to reply with his "facts". Lmao

Wrong. It works just fine with additional private insurance being available.
The quote is from the article the original post provided.
"No matter how you design a single-payer public health insurance system, it would have lower overall health care costs, so long as for-profit private health insurers no longer exist"
https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-...XhHSIJ9BcUSvoytdh1N6IjPqLFoBqXtPqUxIRFHmz3MGI

So if they are wrong you should write to them and explain why.

The quote is from the article the original post provided.
"No matter how you design a single-payer public health insurance system, it would have lower overall health care costs, so long as for-profit private health insurers no longer exist"
https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-...XhHSIJ9BcUSvoytdh1N6IjPqLFoBqXtPqUxIRFHmz3MGI

So if they are wrong you should write to them and explain why.
Couldnt i just point to the countries where it works? There are plenty of them.

I would gladly pay more in taxes so every family in America has coverage. I hope it happens in fact and I will be voting for the person who offers it.
I stand in solidarity with you in this. I will gladly pay more so that all people can enjoy a basic level of human dignity. I am my brothers keeper.
Respect for this seriously.

Couldnt i just point to the countries where it works? There are plenty of them.
I think the main argument against it is that the US is soaked in federal lobbyism and big pharma corruption. They have so much power over healthcare legislation that in order for federal healthcare to work they need to neuter or disallow the private industry. I tend to agree with that argument, at least in the case of the current US system. Other than that I agree that while I never used it myself, and I work in healthcare, I generally support peoples option to go private if they want. Nevermind that private hospitals doesn't really have better outcomes, use the same doctors in most cases and also just abandons patients to the public sector if they mess up (which is not uncommon in my experience). At the same time you get nicer rooms and you don't have to wait, so that's pretty cool. I have treated a lot of patients in public rehab who came from private hospitals.

Supplemental coverage will still be legal under Sanders M4A plan and there's an exception in section 303 of the bill that allows individuals to enter private contracts with health professionals for any procedure or treatment, but it'll be outside the system.

"SEC. 303. USE OF PRIVATE CONTRACTS.
(a) In General.—Subject to the provisions of this subsection, nothing in this Act shall prohibit an institutional or individual provider from entering into a private contract with an enrolled individual for any item or service—"

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/1129/text

I think that's a good loophole for rich people that want to pay for extra services.

Last edited:
Do right wingers ever get tired of saying “government cant run things”

Well unless you talk about the greatest country ever, or the largest military on earth, or the mail.

The government in fact runs huge institutions.

And republicans stop saying you’re “small government” you aren’t. You haven’t been in 50+ years.

Our military costs too much and the post office loses money

Nah, my dad grew up on a farm, wouldn't have gone to college if not for wrestling. Raised on hard work, working harder than your opponent but also being smarter. Both parents came from deep red areas as kids and their extended families are still hard right living paycheck to paycheck. My dad considered church a cash grab once he left rural PA and saw the real world they both also became dem and still are. I own a house (re financing to a 15 year this week actually, currently 20 left) and major renovation last year. My kids have 529 accounts which will cover most if not all of college, and have 401k, Roth IRA and an ESOP. Despite all that I still like the idea of medicare for all and free college . People that work hard and are smart make a lot more money than you , even dems. And even under bernie that would still be the case. The lower class would simply be a little better off. That's a win win to me.
I paid of my house about 15 years ago, have accounts for my kid and a bit of savings for retirement. I don't see why if you and I could do it this way, other people can't and why others should be obligated to make it happen for them.
I go to work for myself and my family. I don't care about other people in regards to the money I earn and I refuse to apologize for that. I pay enough taxes as it is without having to pay another chunk for other people.
I also don't care to ensure that our kids grow up as government dependents. Why would you want that? Don't you want a world where your kids and grandkids have some motivation to achieve? Where a person can be successful without being punished for it?

We’re the fattest, M4A won’t do anything to change this.
We're the fattest because corn subsidies made junk food and HFCS artificially cheap- giving rise to the fast food industry that tirelessly lobbies congress to maintain their control over the public.
ObesityChartLayers-copyMob.jpg

n6noynyhl3eh1ylkrr6y.jpg

Back