Social 9.7% of US housing units are vacant.

333377.jpg

he goes hard. don’t knock it ‘til you try it!

no one is saying to steal the house, dummy, i was fucking with you <Lmaoo>

a home buyback program would absolutely incentivize sellers, just like it does with every other buyback program. plus, if housing doesn’t cost anything, why would people continue to hoard property and spend cash to maintain them when no one needs to pay?

You're a clown. There's been a sellers market for 10 years. Homes are selling over asking price. Operating under the guise these homes arnt selling due to a lack of demand is just retarded. If people wanted to sell these homes, they'd be sold already. THEY ARNT FOR SALE.

But just skip any details and pretend "the government" confiscated the roughly 10% of homes you're referencing. Congratulations, you just bankrupted every school system and public utilities.

Because guess you pays those taxes? Answer: Those evil property owners...be it a bank, individual homeowner, investor, etc.

that’s the average rent of a 0br studio apartment. some homeless people have kids, girlfriends. you literally think everyone who’s homeless is a dirty person wearing the same clothes everyday for the last year living in a tent on the side of the road. that’s the issue.
Homeless people lack stable housing.

You're the type of idiot who would go homeless and stay afloat couch surfing not seeking out stable housing because you can't afford an apartment that your girlfriend would like.

If you have a girlfriend tell that stupid bitch to get a job and pitch in. You have a roommate and your situation is immediately easier to cope with than on your own. Not sure why you are using that situation as a negative.

Housing values are going up (in certain regions more than others) because there has been a year long lapse in construction of new houses and a similar lapse in production/cultivation(wood) of construction materials.

Lumber industry is particularly damaged by this because it relies heavily on seasonal migrant works that cannot obtain work visas currently.
This is what I’m tracking. There’s a big shortage in home inventory across the nations. Property values are shooting up. Makes me question the numbers in the OP

Why is that most people on here instantly classify a homeless person as some degenerate, low life, Crack addicted, horse sodomizer?

You guys know it's possible to fall on hard times and wind up homeless, right? People do actually try being functional members of society, and the homeless thing could come from normal occurrences like being laid off.

Maybe there aren't specifics but generally speaking, if not for some drug dependency where ones life spirals out of control, what are the majority of circumstances that would make a person homeless?

My question isn't framed to make it seem as if there aren't other realistic variables at play here but I'm curious to hear what those variables might be.
Mental illness. For many, treatment just isn't available or access is too limited to be effective long term. And other kinds of illness, in the case of people who do physical labour. And the working poor. There are people who find themselves unable to afford to live within a reasonable travel distance to their jobs yet are unable to find work elsewhere. And those who just plain ol' lose their job for one of a dozen reasons beyond their control and their money runs out before they find another one. Happens all the time.

Is this vacancy rate even a problem? Imagine if you had close to 0% vacancy: you'd have almost no chance of moving to a new city and if you did it would be very unlikely that you'd get one in the right place and at the right price. In fact, the price at 1% occupancy would be astronomical since the demand would be so high and the supply so low.

This looks a bit like the market doing what it's meant to be doing.

Why is that most people on here instantly classify a homeless person as some degenerate, low life, Crack addicted, horse sodomizer?

You guys know it's possible to fall on hard times and wind up homeless, right? People do actually try being functional members of society, and the homeless thing could come from normal occurrences like being laid off.
it’s representative of people who have never been through shit. they have a safety net in friends and family so they’ve never needed to worry about a public safety net. of course, that’s a good thing. i’m not talking shit. help is important. to them, couch surfing and staying in mom’s basement is just a thing that you do when you need it. that’s why it’s shunned. in reality, that’s just homelessness, however temporary it is.

Why is COVID still overrunning ICU’s when we have almost 70% adult vaccination and immunity? Well because everyone in NYC is vaccinated but nobody in Oklahoma is.

Only 60% of NY is vaccinated. Numbers are low in places like LA, Houston, and Miami for the same reason.
Retarded rednecks are getting vaccinated at almost twice the rate of blacks and Hispanics. Even the dumbest back woods motherfuckers in places like Nebraska or South Dakota are getting vaccinated at a higher rate than educated blacks in our major cities.

News won't touch that too much though. I wonder why?

Yeah Michigan is part of the Rust Belt, it’s a descriptor of the parts of the Midwest which have been hollowed out due to the loss of American manufacturing.
Not just Midwest. Some of the rustiest parts of the belt are in Pennsylvania, Mass, Maryland and New York.

Only 60% of NY is vaccinated. Numbers are low in places like LA, Houston, and Miami for the same reason.
Retarded rednecks are getting vaccinated at almost twice the rate of blacks and Hispanics. Even the dumbest back woods motherfuckers in places like Nebraska or South Dakota are getting vaccinated at a higher rate than educated blacks in our major cities.

News won't touch that too much though. I wonder why?
they fell for that the first time, it ain’t gonna happen again.

Truthfully, If your taking about the homeless , permanent housing leads to positive outcomes across the board. Better health , reintegration into society , less substance abuse, prolonged employment and a re integration into the community
I do wonder of the logistics of how this would work. I imagine every house would have a different value. How do you determine who gets what? Is it one house to one person? Many of the homeless are struggling with extreme mental illness, would that make permanent housing more difficult even if they are getting it for free?

I'm glad it's being talked about at all. I'm not sure how it would end up working, but something should be done to actually help these people. Not treat them as burdens who are less than human.

I do wonder of the logistics of how this would work. I imagine every house would have a different value. How do you determine who gets what? Is it one house to one person? Many of the homeless are struggling with extreme mental illness, would that make permanent housing more difficult even if they are getting it for free?

I'm glad it's being talked about at all. I'm not sure how it would end up working, but something should be done to actually help these people. Not treat them as burdens who are less than human.
realistically, as mentioned before, it would require serious funding for mental health support and preferably some cultural changes, maybe PSA’s and ad campaigns, about mental health awareness to truly work. those with severe mental illnesses would likely need to live in group homes with staff just like non-homeless adults with mental illness do.

based on the median sale price of a home in america @ $383,000 and 13.97 million vacant homes (rounding up to 10% of the estimated 139.7 million homes in america) it would cost 5.3 trillion. a steep price, but not completely impossible.

that’s their right as property owners but if the alternative is watching your property age and lose value for absolutely nothing, maybe it’s a good idea.

it’s almost like the world would be better if people could do the things they loved doing instead of being forced to work themselves into the ground.
The fact is that if the government just provides housing for everyone who wants it then most people will choose that. It's not because people are immoral or lazy it's just common sense to live in a free house instead of one that costs money if they are of similar quality. Once everyone is homeless and the government takes control of all real estate you are talking about full on communism. You're pretty far off from most Americans with that thinking and wont get too many people to support your ideas.

Anyways I'm a leftist too and I'm all for helping people up. But they have to have some skin in the game for it to work.
I think the goal of good society would be to raise up as many as possible into the middle class. So I'm all for eduacation and training, good wages, making it easier for people to join or start unions, and even temporary housing assistance or some money going to 1st time buyers. I dont think teaching a man to fish is charity but just a good society. But people need some motivation to work or they just wont. And while everyone's doing "what they love" society would fall apart.

they fell for that the first time, it ain’t gonna happen again.
Truth

You think rednecks don't trust big brother, black men REALLY don't trust big brother.
Can you blame them? Outside of Native Americans, the government has historically fucked over black men more than anyone, so when the government is aggressively pushing some new vaccine, I totally get why blacks are disproportionately like "nah, fuck dat."

That sounds like a fanatically woke plan.

What happens to everything woke?

:D

realistically, as mentioned before, it would require serious funding for mental health support and preferably some cultural changes, maybe PSA’s and ad campaigns, about mental health awareness to truly work. those with severe mental illnesses would likely need to live in group homes with staff just like non-homeless adults with mental illness do.

based on the median sale price of a home in america @ $383,000 and 13.97 million vacant homes (rounding up to 10% of the estimated 139.7 million homes in america) it would cost 5.3 trillion. a steep price, but not completely impossible.

This is what I’m tracking. There’s a big shortage in home inventory across the nations. Property values are shooting up. Makes me question the numbers in the OP

The numbers are likely accurate, but it's also probably not as bad of an issue as is framed. Maybe not an issue at all.

The vacant houses are either in areas people don't want to live or they're high value properties that most people can't afford. In both situations you probably have a wealthy owner, or bank, that has no current incentive to lower their asking price. They're not losing significantly holding the properties, if anything they're incentivized to hold the properties for covid relief and/or tax reductions.

Basically, there may be a lot of vacant properties on the market, but they're not in desirable locations or they're not affordable. Properties that are both affordable and desirable are being bought up quick and even above asking price.

Jersey has a lot of Republicans actually. From '76 up to '92 went with Republicans for Pres and since then 41-47% of the voters go for the Republican in presidential elections.

Vacancy % in most populous states:
  1. Florida - 13.5
  2. North Carolina - 11.6
  3. Michigan - 11.6
  4. Texas - 9.5
  5. Pennsylvania - 9.3
  6. New York - 9.1
  7. New Jersey - 8.9
  8. Georgia - 8.8
  9. Ohio - 8.3
  10. Virginia - 8.2
  11. Illinois - 7.9
  12. Washington - 7.1
  13. California - 6.4

Republican
Democrat

Source

Vacancy % in most populous states:
  1. Florida - 13.5
  2. North Carolina - 11.6
  3. Michigan - 11.6
  4. Texas - 9.5
  5. Pennsylvania - 9.3
  6. New York - 9.1
  7. New Jersey - 8.9
  8. Georgia - 8.8
  9. Ohio - 8.3
  10. Virginia - 8.2
  11. Illinois - 7.9
  12. Washington - 7.1
  13. California - 6.4

Republican
Democrat

Source
Lol. You basing this off which person they voted for in the 2020 election? A number of those are purple states. Then there’s states like NY and Illinois that are mostly republican but gets overshadowed in national elections because of NYC and Chicago

The numbers are likely accurate, but it's also probably not as bad of an issue as is framed. Maybe not an issue at all.

The vacant houses are either in areas people don't want to live or they're high value properties that most people can't afford. In both situations you probably have a wealthy owner, or bank, that has no current incentive to lower their asking price. They're not losing significantly holding the properties, if anything they're incentivized to hold the properties for covid relief and/or tax reductions.

Basically, there may be a lot of vacant properties on the market, but they're not in desirable locations or they're not affordable. Properties that are both affordable and desirable are being bought up quick and even above asking price.

The homeownership vacancy rate is pretty much the same as it's been since the 1960s. It's the rental vacancy rate that's going up. And both of those are down relative to the 2008 recession.

Back