A Very Easy Deep Half Guard Option (Back Door Sweep)

Deep half is one of my strongest sweeping positions, and I confess I have never liked this sweep. I feel like you at best end up in a scramble position. In fact, my primary deep half pass is to give my opponent this sweep.

With this said, I am a big fan of going into the waiter position, and going out the back door from there. Ryan Hall did it to Hermes Franca but I can't find the video...

Also, obligatory, Big Nog being such a badass that he literally starts a fight with an olympic gold medalist in judo by pulling guard and attempting this sweep, then going back to the standard homer simpson.

It really is incredible how much I worshipped big nog when I started BJJ, and how much shit like this still influences my game.

Also, obligatory, Big Nog being such a badass that he literally starts a fight with an olympic gold medalist in judo by pulling guard and attempting this sweep, then going back to the standard homer simpson.

It really is incredible how much I worshipped big nog when I started BJJ, and how much shit like this still influences my game.

Yea this is normally what I do. Try to go out the back, they do their best to stop me, and then I just roll on top.

I feel like you at best end up in a scramble position.

But if you have good neutral game (and you should have good neutral game), then this 'scramble position' is in fact a very good position vis-a-vis your opponent; especially if you are starting from a down position in the first place.

But if you have good neutral game (and you should have good neutral game), then this 'scramble position' is in fact a very good position vis-a-vis your opponent; especially if you are starting from a down position in the first place.
I can't remember the last time I was in a situation where I could hit this and I wasn't better off hitting homer simpson.

If I can't hit homer simpson, I feel like waiter position is a stronger option than this, because you can actually take the back if you go out the back door while in waiter.

I can't remember the last time I was in a situation where I could hit this and I wasn't better off hitting homer simpson.

If I can't hit homer simpson, I feel like waiter position is a stronger option than this, because you can actually take the back if you go out the back door while in waiter.

I dunno though; whenever i see guys using deep half at a championship level, it is almost always guys looking to come up with the legs, crab rides, and or body locks.

This is the only sweep I ever consistently hit from deep half

Deep half is one of my strongest sweeping positions, and I confess I have never liked this sweep. I feel like you at best end up in a scramble position.
We recently drilled a version of this where you make a hook with your leg (elevating it like a butterfly hook but from the bottom deep half), to blast the person off as you come to your knees, and give you more space to scramble up to the top because their leg is in the air as you're already coming up onto their back. I haven't tried it in live rolling yet (I usually land other sweeps first...love deep half), but I liked how it felt and I think it would take some pretty insane scrambling/athleticism to counter it if set up properly.

We recently drilled a version of this where you make a hook with your leg (elevating it like a butterfly hook but from the bottom deep half), to blast the person off as you come to your knees, and give you more space to scramble up to the top because their leg is in the air as you're already coming up onto their back. I haven't tried it in live rolling yet (I usually land other sweeps first...love deep half), but I liked how it felt and I think it would take some pretty insane scrambling/athleticism to counter it if set up properly.
Funny enough, I have never played this position using butterfly hooks. I've always struggled to get them in, and have had too much success with the way I've always done it. No need to fix what isn't broken.

Funny enough, I have never played this position using butterfly hooks. I've always struggled to get them in, and have had too much success with the way I've always done it. No need to fix what isn't broken.
Same here. I like the "sticky" and secure feeling of keeping everything locked up but I could see trying this if nothing else is working. IDK I may play with as a transitional position and see how it works.

Timestamped clip between Colby and Masvidal. This is how I feel this sweep usually plays out.

I had thought that was the dominant view of how to do it tbh. Guys who sweep from deep or reverse half a lot like Glover almost always use a crab hook to set up their attacks, shifting the opponent's center of gravity off base, extending their leg, and making it easy to roll up by attacking the back angle.

What made it easy for Colby stuff Masvidal there is that Masvidal did not come up with Colby's leg shelved and elevated in particular, so Colby could just get his base back and drive him back down, and was not attacking the back angle in general, so that even if Colby did get his feet back under himself, Masivdal would still be in a position to come up with the body lock for further attack.

Last edited:
Back