A Young Female Drummer Who Is Like A Reincarnation Of John Bonham (according to Jimmy Page)

Better Every Day

Zhang finishing Andrade avatar
Platinum Member
Reaction score
In 2016, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin caught a performance of Band-Maid in Tokyo and asked for a photo-op with their drummer, Akane Hirose. Reportedly he told her that she was like a reincarnation of John Bonham.
oyz2nkizzqv21.jpg

A growing number of American "boomers" who love hard rock are becoming overjoyed that there is a new generation of hard rockers coming out of Japan, of which Band-Maid is a shining example. But... but... they're girls... and some of them wear maid outfits... c'mon, how good can they be?

8MZLxFwzL_VtUn_8uw0kBGM324G1K73olsTvF373OLE.jpg

Damn good!

I had a video posted here of a live performance of a song called "Turn Me On", but that got removed from YouTube. So I'll replace it now with another live performance song called "Puzzle". "Turn Me On" was a great "old school" sort of hard rock song. "Puzzle" doesn't sound "old school" at all, in my opinion. In fact, I've sometimes thought that its composition--the way the vocals and the lead guitar fit together--may be the "puzzle" that the title refers to! So rather than "old school", this song is more like it is exploring some new ground for hard rock. At any rate, the puzzle fits together very well, I think, even if somewhat mysteriously. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Akane's double-pedal work sounds like a machine-gun in this hard-driving song from the band's recently released album.

As an American, native English speaker, I don't think the Japanese language lends itself very well to hard rock vocals.

But I dug both of the songs you posted, otherwise. The drumming was very good.

And furthermore, I do love me some women of talent.

As an American, native English speaker, I don't think the Japanese language lends itself very well to hard rock vocals.

But I dug both of the songs you posted, otherwise. The drumming was very good.

And furthermore, I do love me some women of talent.

You'd probably prefer one of their instrumentals, then. In concert, they like to give the lead singer, Saiki (who doesn't play an instrument), a little rest from singing now and then, and so they throw in instrumentals. I expect they also relish the opportunity to go "balls to the wall" (so to speak) with their instruments without having to worry about overpowering the vocals. This hard-driving instrumental is called "Onset":

She isn't drunk enough and doesn't smash the kit nearly hard enough to be Bonham. She's pretty good though.

Listening to what's posted here she is nothing like Bonham

If you can get past the weird gimmicks that some of these Japanese rocks bands have (male and female) there is a lot of good talent there in the rock scene. I don't blame people for promoting good rock talent these days since no one else does in this day and age. It's still out there, you just have to find it.

I thought were talking about that 9 year old Nandi Bushell. She's awesome look her up.

If you can get past the weird gimmicks that some of these Japanese rocks bands have (male and female) there is a lot of good talent there in the rock scene. I don't blame people for promoting good rock talent these days since no one else does in this day and age. It's still out there, you just have to find it.
This is some good shit right here

Lead guitarist for Band-Maid, Kanami Tono, just today had an article published about her iat "Guitar World".

BAND-MAID's Kanami Tōno: "A good guitar solo will trigger emotions. I always keep that in mind"
By Bruce :eek::eek::eek:erstrom 12 hours ago

"This maid outfit-rocking Japanese quintet just got one step closer to World Domination."
https://www.guitarworld.com/feature...nH-LrBojPWTj7ccoy344lIDwRyTjO-mrCEPbBtURESve8

From the article:
"...her solos are always well constructed with memorable beginnings and endings, and a fine feel for phrasing. 'I basically do not compose by jamming with the band but do it at home by recording the solos. In my mind, a good guitar solo will trigger emotions, and you will not forget it once you hear it. I always keep that in mind when I create the solos.'"

In some live performances, there gets added in guitar vs bass "duels" that were not present in the studio version of songs.
The article I posted above has this to say about that:

"One treat for fans during concerts is the mid-song instrumental duels Kanami will have with frequently barefoot bassist Misa. 'Basically, our vocalist, Saiki, has ideas about how to perform on stage for live shows. Rather, she gives out orders [laughs]. That applies to the battles we have on stage. Saiki gives out instructions, ‘You two do something here!’”

That playful spirit is part of what makes BAND-MAID so much fun to watch, yet Kanami gets serious when asked to sum up their appeal. “We wear cute maid outfits as a band, but our music is as good as any male group, so please check us out for yourself!”

Here's a performance with a guitar vs. bass "battle."

Last edited:
They're nothing alike, and paying someone compliments that are superfluous is kinda lame. She's a good drummer and the music was decent.

Just say you liked the show and move on, Jimmy.

Here's another favorite of mine from their recently released album, CONQUEROR. It gives an excellent demonstration of a musical ploy they sometimes favor: they follow a scorching hot guitar solo by Kanami with a contrasting soft lyrical moment, and then quickly start ramping the intensity up again:

BAND-MAID / Blooming
•Dec 9, 2019

BANDMAID

“'Welcome home,master & princess' BAND-MAID is an impossibly hard rocking maid band."

Akane's drumming is worth paying attention to in this one as well.

She isn't drunk enough and doesn't smash the kit nearly hard enough to be Bonham. She's pretty good though.

Listening to what's posted here she is nothing like Bonham

Yeah, I think Page just wanted to creep on some young ass dressed in a maid outfit here tbh

Back