Advice for a simple boxing strength and conditioning workout

Tommy2D

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I just would like a bit of advice from guys with a lot more experience than me.

I’m a boxing hobbyist and get to the gym on average three times a week, to fill in the gaps and help me when I do train I would like to start doing something extra. Ideally something which would take about an hour in total i.e. 30 mins strength + 30 mins conditioning, can be done from home/work 2-3 times a week. Reasons for I work in healthcare which includes long days and regular 24 hour on-calls leaving me with limited time/recovery to balance my relationships and hobbies.

I have something of a plan.

Strength Work Would be:

Band Bulgarian Split Squats
Band Push Ups
Band High Pulls
Band Pull Aparts

3 sets of 10 (20 on pull aparts). Bands allow me to workout when I have to stay at the hospital overnight once or occasionally twice a week.

Then the conditioning portion would just be Ross Enamaits burpee conditioning

Maybe chuck in some neck bridging if I have extra time.

In the back of my mind and given my piss poor recovery I may drop the strength work and just do burpee conditioning and shadow boxing – should take an hour or less, I don’t need anything and can be done anywhere.

Any advice appreciated

You looking for band/body workouts for the hospital nights or weighted options for your 3 gym days?

Band/bodyweight stuff for hospital nights and at home on days when there isn't any boxing classes. The three gym days I'm at the boxing club so sparring, heavy bag, mitt work, etc - we don't use weights during the classes minus some medicine/slam balls and handweights.

If you have the room to bring a jump rope, that and some banded shadow boxing with band push ups/ squats can break a sweat and get heart rate up without running around the property.

Sorry I should have been clearer, cardio/conditioning I have covered with burpee conditioning (30s burpess/30s shadowboxing repeat for 2-3 minute rounds) - my HR is typically in the 90-95% zone towards the end of the rounds. It's more the strength work, whether bands are worth it and whether it's even needed for boxing - I'm a bit dumbfounded.

Although to be honest, now I've given it some thought I'm stuck with bands for at least pulling exercises unless I find something as portable. I'm probably just overthinking it and should just work with what I've have; adjust based on results.

That said though, I will pick up a jump rope, very good suggestion and I can't believe I overlooked it.

Thank you Fahcough.

You can find a good knock off TRX style strap and handles with an over the door stopper. It's versatile enough to get some leaning inverted rows / level change push ups. Those hospital doors being handicap size, I'm not sure an upper frame pull-up attachment will fit across. Maybe a closet would hold it.
You extend your circuit from 2 rotations to 6 stations and you'll get more work in before mind boredom starts.

Back