Advice for my first AR?

I swear by my DD, but for the money you can’t beat a S&W M&P. Haven’t had a single malfunction in over 1,000 rounds and it will eat up anything you put in it as long as you avoid garbage steel case ammunition.

AR's are what they are. For a beginner, factory rifles are all good enough. It really comes down to how much you wanna spend and if you come across something sexy enough to make you spend more.
This is true...I have colt, DD, bcm, psa, aero uppers/lowers is numerous configurations and all are reliable. Some are factory built but most are put together how I wanted them. The only issues I've had with any of them is finding the right spring/buffer combination for my sbr's. And just like you said....if you want more features then be prepared to open your wallet. A $600 ar can quickly become a $2600 ar in short time.

I do believe it is. I remember reading a thread on a forum that was trying to find any evidence of it. I don't think any was found. There have plenty of self defense shootings with AR's and modified guns.
The only time the type of gun becomes a point of contention in self defense cases is if the firearm has been modified illegally like a chopped shotgun or an illegal SBR.

The only time the type of gun becomes a point of contention in self defense cases is if the firearm has been modified illegally like a chopped shotgun or an illegal SBR.

You work at the courthouse correct?

Have you seen anything you would qualify as interesting, grey areas, etc in firearm cases?

You work at the courthouse correct?

Have you seen anything you would qualify as interesting, grey areas, etc in firearm cases?
I work in a prosecutor's office now but when I was doing adult felony work it was all pretty straight forward. Felons that were found in possession of handguns. The only true grey area I saw at my last job was an old man in his 70s that got dinged for a felon possessing a handgun. Here's the thing, his felony was from when he was 19 and he thought he had gotten it expunged but he apparently didn't pay like part of a fine and it never got fully expunged.

That case remained open and he pled to a deferred prosecution where part of it was the prosecutor's office helping him expunge his old record. Once that was done the current case got dropped and he was again able to own firearms.

Where I work now with juvenile crimes the grey area comes from type of firearm. Kids will get in more trouble for possessing a handgun over a shotgun or rifle.

Rock rivers are decent ARs. Can I ask, why you want an AR as your first gun?

Don’t buy one in 22. The rock river should have a 5.56/.223 barrel that will allow you to shoot either.

I’d recommend buying it online, unless your getting some kind of deal at your shop. What mode RRA and what’s the out the door price on it?
I just picked up the RRA lightweight mountain rifle about a month ago. Was basically the only rifle available in my price range. Have already swapped out a bunch of shit. Thinking of getting a new barrel next, it has the pencil barrel

Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first gun (definitely no, uh, relation to current events or anything). I've fired other people's guns a decent amount, including growing up, but am definitely a total newbie. I've been looking at AR-15s at a local gun shop, they carry a few Rock River Rage ones (a carbine, another model), and a Ruger I think AR-556. Are these guns OK? Any general advice? I just want something for self-defense and general shooting fun. (I was thinking I'd get a handgun after I get more experience with a rifle). Also I now live in a rural state with few gun rules.

I have a friend with a bunch of guns I can ask advice from, but he lives a few states away, and I don't want to bug him repeatedly with multiple newb questions. He explained the 556/223 concept a bit, though I still don't 100% get it.

Like, I think they're mostly .22 calibers. Is that an OK caliber? Would it really stop someone? They also had one .308, but my friend said that's probably a bit too much. (I've fired his AR and also his AK-47 before).

Would love any general advice! If you think those guns suck, I could travel further to another gun store

Check around to see if there's some shooting classes around your area before you decide to buy a gun.

I just picked up the RRA lightweight mountain rifle about a month ago. Was basically the only rifle available in my price range. Have already swapped out a bunch of shit. Thinking of getting a new barrel next, it has the pencil barrel
Interesting rifle. Can I ask what you paid?
Honestly, if it were me, I personally wouldn’t modify that rifle at all. I’d just buy an optic, a sling, and some magazines. I’d shoot it for a year and see what you think then. The gun will hold its value no prob, and if you want something different in a year, you’ll be able to sell it on armslist and recover close to what you paid (assuming you didn’t get hosed at your LGS). Then take that money, and build an AR to your exact desired specifications.

Interesting rifle. Can I ask what you paid?
Honestly, if it were me, I personally wouldn’t modify that rifle at all. I’d just buy an optic, a sling, and some magazines. I’d shoot it for a year and see what you think then. The gun will hold its value no prob, and if you want something different in a year, you’ll be able to sell it on armslist and recover close to what you paid (assuming you didn’t get hosed at your LGS). Then take that money, and build an AR to your exact desired specifications.
Too fucking much. $1049. It's a nice shooting gun, I cant dispute that. But the modularity sucks. So I got a new handguard for it. And I wasnt a fan of the RRA 2 stage trigger so I picked up a rise armament drop in and installed that.

Too fucking much. $1049. It's a nice shooting gun, I cant dispute that. But the modularity sucks. So I got a new handguard for it. And I wasnt a fan of the RRA 2 stage trigger so I picked up a rise armament drop in and installed that.
That’s not a horrid price if that was the OTD price. It’s a bit of a specialty rifle though, so I’m not sure why you’d want to buy one for that kind of money, unless it’s exactly what you want. I believe the handguard was designed specifically for that rifle, and the trigger should be pretty decent out of the box. Proprietary gas block doesn’t exactly make it the most friendly for modding either, which is why I’d probably leave it alone, and sell it if it’s not exactly what you want.

That’s not a horrid price if that was the OTD price. It’s a bit of a specialty rifle though, so I’m not sure why you’d want to buy one for that kind of money, unless it’s exactly what you want. I believe the handguard was designed specifically for that rifle, and the trigger should be pretty decent out of the box. Proprietary gas block doesn’t exactly make it the most friendly for modding either, which is why I’d probably leave it alone, and sell it if it’s not exactly what you want.
From my understanding its just low profile gas block. The only reason I ended up getting it was it was the only ar left in the price I wanted to spend. I really wanted a Springfield saint victor but it sold AS I was putting it into my cart. I picked up the rave 140 drop in trigger and the difference is night and day. Such a light, crisp pull. Also installed an extended mag release and ambi safety selector. I need to get an armorers wrench to do my handguard. The handguard that comes with it indeed is made specifically for the rifle. See, the listing for the rifle at the time of purchase was totally different than the actual specs of the lightweight mountain rifle. It was listed as a 7.2 pound, heavy barrel rifle. I admittedly should have done more research BEFORE buying it, but with the name that was listed for the rifle, I couldn't find ANY information. I ended up having to cross reference the ID number

From my understanding its just low profile gas block. The only reason I ended up getting it was it was the only ar left in the price I wanted to spend. I really wanted a Springfield saint victor but it sold AS I was putting it into my cart. I picked up the rave 140 drop in trigger and the difference is night and day. Such a light, crisp pull. Also installed an extended mag release and ambi safety selector. I need to get an armorers wrench to do my handguard. The handguard that comes with it indeed is made specifically for the rifle. See, the listing for the rifle at the time of purchase was totally different than the actual specs of the lightweight mountain rifle. It was listed as a 7.2 pound, heavy barrel rifle. I admittedly should have done more research BEFORE buying it, but with the name that was listed for the rifle, I couldn't find ANY information. I ended up having to cross reference the ID number
What I read quickly online is that it’s a proprietary RRA low profile gas block. So if you bought a different barrel, you’re going to likely need to replace the gas block as well.

What I read quickly online is that it’s a proprietary RRA low profile gas block. So if you bought a different barrel, you’re going to likely need to replace the gas block as well.
Oh, yeah for sure. I didnt realize that's what you were talking about. I'm looking at faxon or BCM. Gas blocks aren't very expensive so I'm not entirely too concerned about that. I realize it's my fault for not cross referencing everything before purchasing, but I do feel a bit of a sting with the outright wrong information they had listed for the rifle.

Oh, yeah for sure. I didnt realize that's what you were talking about. I'm looking at faxon or BCM. Gas blocks aren't very expensive so I'm not entirely too concerned about that. I realize it's my fault for not cross referencing everything before purchasing, but I do feel a bit of a sting with the outright wrong information they had listed for the rifle.
Have you tried bringing it back? Seems like a fair reason to.
If they let you, I’d just buy online, either the exact AR you want, or build it.

Have you tried bringing it back? Seems like a fair reason to.
If they let you, I’d just buy online, either the exact AR you want, or build it.
No, restocking fees are outrageous. I've fired hundreds of rounds now, and I've modified it quite heavily already. I'm not down on the rifle, I like it. I'll just like it more when it's how I want it lol

No, restocking fees are outrageous. I've fired hundreds of rounds now, and I've modified it quite heavily already. I'm not down on the rifle, I like it. I'll just like it more when it's how I want it lol
You pick up an optic for it yet?

Back