Advice for nose injury?

Anything that allows him to continue to train and minimizes the risk of breaking his nose. I have long painful personal experiences with a broken nose. I am a former boxer and have had two surgeries to allow me to breathe through my nose. You can’t fight with your mouth open. After I left the ring, my doctor told me to return for cosmetic reasons. My nose was visibly crooked. After my last surgery I could finally taste food again. I still spar and do not like gear with a facebar so I’m taking a chance. My son had a leaky nose and bled all over his gear and gloves during heavy sparring. He’s like me in that he disliked headgear with a facebar. I have 2 with facebars. One Everlast with C3 padding and a Winning FG-5000. I also bought a no-contact Palladium headgear for my son. He has no choice but to wear it because he has a fight in 3 weeks and still spars 2 times a week at this phase of his camp. But it allows him to keep training. Yes, you give up vision for protection. All the pros at our gym use headgear with facebars. It’s smart when there’s money on the line. Actually it’s smart for a 57 year old former fighter whose reaction time is not what it used to be.

What are you still sparring for at 57?!!

I'm the same age as you & I gave up all remotely heavy sparring when I retired from the ring back when I was still in my 30s. Of course, I was a pro who had a lot of tough fights on top of being a sparring partner for several champions & top contenders. So, I was trying to minimize the damage. Plus, I had to have surgery on my cervical spine a few years after hanging up my gloves due to damage to my discs from using my neck as a shock absorber for so many years.

So i was doing some hard sparring these past few weeks, and i got hit in the nose a lot. I wasnt too worried, i got a bloody nose and felt congested, nothing too crazy. but i have not able to breath through my nose, its been two days since i last got hit in the nose and i was hoping it would have healed. Any advice on getting it to heal sooner, or maybe be able to train around this?
1) Go to the ER to make sure it's not broken.

2) Even if it's not broken, give it a rest so it has a proper amount of time to heal. Don't rush back into sparring.

3) As for those full face shield headgears proceed at your own risk. I think they can do more harm than good. They limit your peripheral vision too much for my liking & you wind up getting hit a lot more than you would otherwise. And they do very little to protect your brain from punishment. Don't believe me? Take an egg & shake it real hard. Then crack it open. It comes out scrambled. That's your brain with headgear on.

What are you still sparring for at 57?!!

I'm the same age as you & I gave up all remotely heavy sparring when I retired from the ring back when I was still in my 30s. Of course, I was a pro who had a lot of tough fights on top of being a sparring partner for several champions & top contenders. So, I was trying to minimize the damage. Plus, I had to have surgery on my cervical spine a few years after hanging up my gloves due to damage to my discs from using my neck as a shock absorber for so many years.
I love the action. I will confess that I suspect most of my sparring partners take some off their punches when sparring with me. I am in exceptional physical shape for my age. I have been photographed and videoed while boxing because no one believes I am 57. My gym used my likeness to promote boxing as fitness for the aged. I am at the age where it takes my joints longer to recover than it does my muscles. LOL I am slower, less mobile, have less power and the punches hurt more. But if I have my way, I will box until they close the casket.

I love the action. I will confess that I suspect most of my sparring partners take some off their punches when sparring with me. I am in exceptional physical shape for my age. I have been photographed and videoed while boxing because no one believes I am 57. My gym used my likeness to promote boxing as fitness for the aged. I am at the age where it takes my joints longer to recover than it does my muscles. LOL I am slower, less mobile, have less power and the punches hurt more. But if I have my way, I will box until they close the casket.

Gotcha. Well, to each their own. A friend of mine, Tony LaBarbara from Buffalo who's also a former pro was still doing exhibition bouts until he was sixty. So, as long as you're not engaged in gym wars with fighters teeing off on you then I suppose it's cool.

Have fun & of course, protect yourself at all times. Peace.

Gotcha. Well, to each their own. A friend of mine, Tony LaBarbara from Buffalo who's also a former pro was still doing exhibition bouts until he was sixty. So, as long as you're not engaged in gym wars with fighters teeing off on you then I suppose it's cool.

Have fun & of course, protect yourself at all times. Peace.
I take calculated risks. I mean I know these fighters are doing me a favor letting me spar. They could take my head off if they wanted to.

zVHT06j.jpg

Stick your finger in both of your nostril holes.
If you cant go far back in one of them your septum is deviated.

Same shit happened to me with an elbow recently.
Don’t go to the doc nothing they can do lol

Wouldn't a ENT/otolaryngologist doc be able to do something ? (i think that's how they're called in english)

What is that martial art called ? is it a format of full contact karate competition ?

That is labeled "Army hand-to-hand combat" tournament (although in civilian not army setting)

But there are several small-ish karate styles with competitions rules that looks about the same.

Wouldn't a ENT/otolaryngologist doc be able to do something ? (i think that's how they're called in english)
No it has to be set immediately after the injury. If not they have to do surgery to re-break your nose to straighten it.

Im not sure how much time you have between the injury and it setting though

What is that martial art called ? is it a format of full contact karate competition ?

It's called Army Combatives, mostly done but LAw Enforcements, Army, etc. but civies are also allowed to participate in competitions.

It's called Army Combatives, mostly done but LAw Enforcements, Army, etc. but civies are also allowed to participate in competitions.
Only time civvys are allowed to hit cops legally

But nose injuries are always the most fun part of fighting. I've busted my shit like 4 times.

my nose is messed up , I need surgery for like 10 years now

Back