AgustD: What do hip hop fans think of this Korean phenom?

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I posted this a few days ago in the War Room as example of how American culture is usurping all lesser cultures in spite of the predisposition of non-Americans to ceaselessly cast aspersions on American culture. I only saw it because I was browsing the YouTube Music trending column several days earlier. I checked back today, when a reaction vid to the video popped up, and after being out just a week, it has 56.6m views.

I'm not a rap fan, but this kid seems to have the sort of talent that will make him an international superstar, and probably one with more staying power Psi enjoyed from his comedic gimmick that went viral. I can't understand the words, so it's all music to me, even what's spoken. He just seems to have the talent of "flow" as I think rap fans call it. Of course, I have no ear for this.

Here's his most viewed video (96m views) from 2016:

I like this one with 39m views better-- also from 2016:

*Edit* Did a search again without separating the "d" from "agust", I didn't realize that's the proper anglicization, if it is, but here was the first mention of him on the forum-- in the K-Pop thread:
The new teaser is nuts to me. The concept and visuals are just really different from what I'm used to from TWICE and after 2019 KR releases I was thinking we would be getting a video more like Feel Special with more glitz and glam or w/e...but this looks really fitting for the Summer. Def' excited.

Also AgustD if anyone is interested-not sure the song name it's in Korean. The video is pretty cool to be honest.

To me it doesn't sound any worse than Western kids rap, not my thing but yeah, kid can flow.
Beats will get people moving, maybe start a few fights, again, not my thing

is it definitely a dude?

i like the music video and use of traditional korean instruments more than the music itself (although as others said it's not bad). and for what it's worth, this guy is one of the rappers for mainstream kpop boy group BTS.

Back