Ahmad Shah Massoud's son poised to fight Taliban in Panjshir, just like his father once did

Kforcer

Dragon Slayer
@Gold
Reaction score
Crazy how history repeats itself. Ahmad Massoud, son of the legendary commander Ahmad Shah Massoud, who played a crucial role in repelling the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and later led the United Front, also known as the Northern Alliance, against the Taliban before being assassinated by Al Quaeda two days before 9/11, is now heading up a force from Panjshir Valley to fend off incursions from the Taliban. Surrounded by enormous mountains, Panjshir has never been conquered by the Taliban, just as it was never conquered by the Russians.

The late, elder Massoud was a pro-democracy advocate who wanted a federalist system of government in Afghanistan, where none of the ethnically distinct regions would be dominated by the others. He also pushed for the rights of women and was one of Al Quaeda's greatest foes and a man who regularly warned the US of the international danger they posed. Ahmad Massoud, the son, apparently also was advocating for a federalist system of government, but he seems less pro-American than his father, perhaps because of the apathy the US has shown towards Afghanistan. He trained at a military academy in Britain, but before this Taliban takeover, he seemed to be interested in serving his country as a politician or as an advocate for human rights. He even encouraged people to lay down arms and leave fighting to the government's security forces. Now, he's heading up a militia to defend Panjshir Valley from the encroaching Taliban.

Who's their version of George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Rambo, Ethan Hunt, Maverick?

Ahmad Shah Massoud

Boy, I can remember that name. Remember when he was assassinated. Afghans around here wept. He was a God to them almost.

I remember some of those northern (non Pashtun) warlords.. just the toughest mofos you'd ever seen.

Shocking these northern warlords (this time around) all fled into Uzbekistan.

Back in the day they would have fought to the very end, to the very last man against the Taliban.

Strange times.

Ahmad Shah Massoud

Boy, I can remember that name. Remember when he was assassinated. Afghans around here wept. He was a God to them almost.

I remember some of those northern (non Pashtun) warlords.. just the toughest mofos you'd ever seen.

Back in the day they would have fought to the very end, to the very last man against the Taliban.

Strange times.

Those same warlords (apart from Shah Massoud himself) were also the biggest pieces of shit going. Killing, raping, looting and kidnapping innocent Afghans. The likes of Dostum and Hekmatyar are the very reason the Taliban came into existence in the first place, to defend civilians from them.

Was this the Afghani guy Rambo helped fight the Soviets in Rambo III or was this the Afghani guy James Bond helped fight the Soviets in the Living Daylights?

Was this the Afghani guy Rambo helped fight the Soviets in Rambo III or was this the Afghani guy James Bond helped fight the Soviets in the Living Daylights?
That was his dad, Ahmad Shah Massoud. Ahmad Massoud is the son. But yeah, literally, the character in Rambo III was named after Ahmad Shah Massoud. He was used in a few fictional pieces, like Lay Down with Lions and...some other ones that I can't recall.

Ahmad Shah Massoud

Strange times.
Yeah, I was surprised to hear that. I wonder what's going to happen with Massoud's son. It is just crazy to me that he basically grew up in the West and now finds himself in this situation, essentially the same situation his father was in.

But I guess he's also trying to start an anti-Taliban resistance: https://theglobalherald.com/news/af...mpt-to-start-up-a-resistance-against-taliban/

It sounds to me like he's open to talks under certain conditions, i.e., democracy, women's rights, autonomy for Afghanistan's various ethnic groups, which I'd doubt the Taliban would be willing to meet. But who knows. I sure don't.

Those same warlords (apart from Shah Massoud himself) were also the biggest pieces of shit going. Killing, raping, looting and kidnapping innocent Afghans. The likes of Dostum and Hekmatyar are the very reason the Taliban came into existence in the first place, to defend civilians from them.

Yes, no choir boys in Afghanistan for sure.

I think Dostrum is the Warlord that fought with the Anericans in Tora Bora where they thought they had Bin Laden trapped. I believe some deal was made somewhere to allow Bin Laden to slip into Pakistan.

My observation still stands, strange they fled instead of fight as before.

Maybe they're reconstituting in Uzbekistan and will return. I'm not sure of the Taliban numbers, surely they can't occupy the entire country long term. Especially the north.

Back to square one.

Yes, no choir boys in Afghanistan for sure.

I think Dostrum is the Warlord that fought with the Anericans in Tora Bora where they thought they had Bin Laden trapped. I believe some deal was made somewhere to allow Bin Laden to slip into Pakistan.

My observation still stands, strange they fled instead of fight as before.

Maybe they're reconstituting in Uzbekistan and will return. I'm not sure of the Taliban numbers, surely they can't occupy the entire country long term. Especially the north.

Back to square one.
Yeah, I was surprised about Dostum as well. I figured he would be one of the great bulwarks against the Taliban.

Yeah, I was surprised about Dostum as well. I figured he would be one of the great bulwarks against the Taliban.

I didn't even know he was still alive <45>

Shit, he looked in his 60s 20 yrs ago. Could have been in his 40s then, but that afghani life ages you.

He was Uzbeki wasnt he? Uzbek roots at least. Maybe went back home to safety, survey the terrain in northern afghan, are the Taliban staying there, how many are there, start gathering an army to fight them with?

Just a guess. Taliban seems to have the momenimum at the moment. (RIP John Withersoon)

Let the dust settle.

General-Dostum-main-01.jpg

I didn't even know he was still alive <45>

Shit, he looked in his 60s 20 yrs ago. Could have been in his 40s then, but that afghani life ages you.

He was Uzbeki wasnt he? Uzbek roots at least. Maybe went back home to safety, survey the terrain in northern afghan, are the Taliban staying there, how many are there, start gathering an army to fight them with?

Just a guess. Taliban seems to have the momenimum at the moment. (RIP John Withersoon)

Let the dust settle.

General-Dostum-main-01.jpg
Yep, Dostum's Uzbeki; basically the leader of Afghanistan's Uzbeki population. I was sort of surprised that Turkey didn't support him. You might be right about him. He was always a very pragmatic person; I want to say he initially supported the Soviet invasion and I believe he switched sides during Massoud's battle with Hekmatyar as well, if I recall correctly.

That was his dad, Ahmad Shah Massoud. Ahmad Massoud is the son. But yeah, literally, the character in Rambo III was named after Ahmad Shah Massoud. He was used in a few fictional pieces, like Lay Down with Lions and...some other ones that I can't recall.

I guess the guy from the Living Daylights must have been playing Osama Bin Laden as he went on to be the bad guy in True Lies.

Back