Albums similar to Nick Cave’s Murder Ballads

PurpleStorm

purp
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The record Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & the Bad Seed is one I really enjoy and often go back to when I’m in the mood for dark ballads with a twist of shock and humor.

Would appreciate recommendations of other artists & albums for similar type music.

I tend to enjoy more of the historical ballad and folk type genres over death metal type stuff, if that helps.

Thanks!

Man, Nick Cave and PJ Harvey. Doesn't get much better than that.

nick-and-pj.jpg

But Jerry Garcia and David Grisman come close :p
Check out Shady Grove or my personal favorite Dreadful Wind and Rain. (Always wanted to animate this song)

And the man, the myth, the legend Taj Mahal has sung a murder ballad or two in his time

nick-and-pj.jpg

Check out Shady Grove or my personal favorite Dreadful Wind and Rain. (Always wanted to animate this song)

And the man, the myth, the legend Taj Mahal has sung a murder ballad or two in his time

Hey Jack, have you ever listened to any of the stuff that Lydia Lunch did with Cypress Grove?

Hey Jack, have you ever listened to any of the stuff that Lydia Lunch did with Cypress Grove?

Wow. Never heard that before. I'm a fan of Cypress Grove's collaboration with Jeffery Lee Pierce from the Gun Club though, and now that I think about it, I guess my username could be considered a murder ballad.

Wow. Never heard that before. I'm a fan of Cypress Grove's collaboration with Jeffery Lee Pierce from the Gun Club though, and now that I think about it, I guess my username could be considered a murder ballad.
Haha I suppose so :)
That whole album, “Fistful of Desert Blues,” is pretty awesome. Lydia brings her usual Lydia-ness, but it’s Cypress Grove that’s the MVP of that record. Good shit though.

The record Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & the Bad Seed is one I really enjoy and often go back to when I’m in the mood for dark ballads with a twist of shock and humor.

Would appreciate recommendations of other artists & albums for similar type music.

I tend to enjoy more of the historical ballad and folk type genres over death metal type stuff, if that helps.

Thanks!
I have a couple “standard” recommendations and then one that’s a little different. Jack already mentioned PJ Harvey, are you a fan of her work? Usually if I’m in a Nick Cave mood, I’ll also enjoy things like PJ’s “White Chalk” album, or Leonard Cohen’s “The Future” album.

For my other recommendation, check out Giles Corey. Giles Corey is a musical project of Dan Barret’s, and is named for a victim of the Salem Witch Trials. The real Giles Corey was wrongly accused of being a witch, refused to admit to being one, and when tortured by placing heavy weights on his chest he refused to recant and instead just kept demanding that the torturers add more weight. He was kind of a G.

The album is meant to induce a dark, trance-like state, and is a really interesting and disturbingly dark record.

"Delia's Gone" by Johnny Cash is a great one (a song, not an album)
Yeah that’s a great song. I first learned it from a cover by Bob Dylan from the album World Gone Wrong. Later heard The Man In Black’s version and it’s an excellent one. Glad you reminded me, as JC did many murder ballads throughout his career. He did some really hardcore ones late in life for the American recordings produced by Rick Rubin. Thanks for the reminder!

nick-and-pj.jpg

Thanks bud. I’ll check out those Jerry / David recordings. So much amazing stuff Jerry did outside the Grateful Dead. And of course some of the Dead’s well - known songs are either covers or re-workings of songs from Harry Smith’s Anthology of American Folk Music, which even has an album entitled Murder Ballads. That entire anthology is a gold mine of the roots of rock n roll.

Yes, love Taj Mahal. His version of Stagger Lee (from Giant Step / The Old Folks At Home) may be the first murder ballad I fell in love with, at age 15.

edited to add:
Interesting that you mention wanting to animate that song. I’ve explored animating some songs too.

Last edited:
I have a couple “standard” recommendations and then one that’s a little different. Jack already mentioned PJ Harvey, are you a fan of her work? Usually if I’m in a Nick Cave mood, I’ll also enjoy things like PJ’s “White Chalk” album, or Leonard Cohen’s “The Future” album.

For my other recommendation, check out Giles Corey. Giles Corey is a musical project of Dan Barret’s, and is named for a victim of the Salem Witch Trials. The real Giles Corey was wrongly accused of being a witch, refused to admit to being one, and when tortured by placing heavy weights on his chest he refused to recant and instead just kept demanding that the torturers add more weight. He was kind of a G.

The album is meant to induce a dark, trance-like state, and is a really interesting and disturbingly dark record.

Thanks BFoe! Great finding another sherbro with similar musical tastes.

Familiar with PJ Harvey. Have around 5 of her albums. The one I listen to most is To Bring You My Love. ‘Dooown by the waaaaaataaaah’ No doubt she’s got that spirit! Haven’t heard White Chalk so will definitely check it out.

Yeah, Leonard’s in heavy rotation por moi, with The Future high up there.

Giles Cory is something I’ve heard bits of but will check out further. Sounds pretty freaky. I’ll listen with the lights on.

Have a good weekend bud.

Last edited:
Back