News Alexander Volkanovski vs. Max Holloway 2 expected to headline UFC 251

Who wins the rematch?

• Alexander Volkanovski

• Max Holloway

Results are only viewable after voting.
Putting it as plainly as "Yair finished him in a competitive fight" lacks zero context. You admit that the finishing elbow was a fluke, which it was, but the time he landed it was just as flukey, if not flukier. For one, Yair and KZ had simultaneously stopped fighting seconds from the end in a moment of sportsmanship, and only resumed their engagement when the ref told them to continue fighting. Left to their own devices, the fight would've ended in a decision. Because they weren't, KZ got knocked out with one measly second left. KZ was in fact officially up on the scorecards, so idk how the specific strikes Yair landed up to that point, i.e. the five spinning elbows, are relevant. My point is that this loss detracts much less, if anything, from his resume compared to what a normal one would, given the fact that a fight he was about to win ending like this is beyond, both in method and time, an aberration.

Detroying Moicano and Edgar, who were ranked higher they are now, carries significantly more weight than anything anybody else in the division has done recently. KZ was also scheduled to fight Ortega too before Brian pulled out. No idea how the guy isn't in the #2 contender slot rn. With his only significant win being a decision over Aldo, I'd argue that Volkanovski had done less to earn his shot than what KZ has done now.
Well Aldo beat Maciano before KZ did and Volk beat Aldo so Volk definitely deserved it more....
Yair won on short notice in a 5 round fight, that's what happened and with a full camp would be very possible to happen again.

I know KZ has a big following on here but to dismiss Yair for being down on the score cards in a fight he won is weird.
I'd be happy as a Yair fan for KZ vs Yair 2 to see who gets next shot at the belt. Both guys can have a proper training camp

20191214110437_GettyImages1194022645.JPG

UFC 251 will take place on June 6 in Perth, Australia, and Alexander Volkanovski vs. Max Holloway 2 is expected to headline.

The UFC did not announce any fights for the event, but it is expected that the main event of the evening will see Volkanovski take on Holloway in the rematch after the two previously locked horns at UFC 245 in December.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...ovski-vs-max-holloway-2-expected-to-headline/
Idk why anyone would want this match, while it was competitive it was also not close as Volkanovski won every single round pretty convincingly.

Max gonna get that strap back

Lets goooooooo!

So is Volkanovski going to be the new GOAT according to Joe when he beats Max twice?

Seems like Volkanovski is being a good active champ.
It's been weird watching the Volk so far.
First fight I saw he absolutely obliterated Jeremy Kennedy. It was impressive.
I missed the Elkins win.
Then I watched him utterly smash Chad Mendes into retirement.
Then his two fights with Aldo and Holloway were more calculated and technical. He didn't smash them like he did Kennedy and Mendes. He just used some sort of perfect gameplan and neither man seemed to know what to do around it.

I hope he wins this rematch and Holloway wisely moves onto the lightweight division. Since he couldn't even make lightweight on a few days notice from being way too heavy, he must be cutting loads to make featherweight.
This match is probably being made while Zabit finally accepts a 5 round fight, Zombie gets his eye repaired and Yair just needs one more strong win.
Perhaps Yair/Ortega Vs Zabit in a 5 rounder works as a contender fight.

Well Aldo beat Maciano before KZ did and Volk beat Aldo so Volk definitely deserved it more....
Yair won on short notice in a 5 round fight, that's what happened and with a full camp would be very possible to happen again.

I know KZ has a big following on here but to dismiss Yair for being down on the score cards in a fight he won is weird.
I'd be happy as a Yair fan for KZ vs Yair 2 to see who gets next shot at the belt. Both guys can have a proper training camp
I'm not even a big KZ fan by any stretch of the imagination. Wasn't knocking Yair as much as I was giving due credit to KZ for that fight. I know Aldo was a big win for Volk, but if you're implying that he beat Moicano in a sense because Aldo did, then I'm not really onboard. There are too many counterexamples of fighters losing to fighters who had lost to fighters they had beaten for that to be the case. Not saying that Volk wouldn't beat Moicano, but he hasn't in fact beaten Moicano.

I'm factoring method of victory here. Yes, Volk beat Aldo, but it's not like he did anything spectacular in their fight. KZ on the other hand, starched both Edgar and Moicano. To me, that is worth just as much, if not more, than decisioning Aldo is. Not saying that KZ was more deserving of a title shot than Volk was at the time of his, as he hadn't fought Edgar yet. What I am saying is that he's possibly more deserving of one right now than Volk had been when he got his. Not that any of this matters though, as Volk beat Holloway anyways.

Was really hoping for that zombie fight. Regardless I see Alex winning this

His gameplan seemed entirely based on keeping out of boxing range for any prolonged time.... If Max forced him to fight within that range I don't think Volk could compete in that range

But

Max showed no fight IQ to adjust (which is weird for Max). I think his ego has been getting the best of him and he's over confident in his hands alone when the real reason his stand up was so good was because he was dynamic. Max beat up Stephans in every range and avoided boxing while he murdered Swanson with elbows and the full tool box.
Without knowing if Max has made the proper adjustments Volk seems like the safe bet

Anytime it was in boxing range, it was typically max that got tagged and backed away. Volkanovski was landing the harder shots all night, and not just with his kicks.
I Also don't think volkanovski really committed to wrestling at all. It looked like he more so just wanted to break Max's flow by holding him against the fence. He's said a few times so ce that if he wanted to wrestle, he could ha e much more but didn't feel the need to, and I tend to believe him.

Last edited:
Anytime it was in boxing range, it was typically max that got tagged and backed away. Volkanovski was landing the harder shots all night, and not just with his kicks.
I Also don't think volkanovski really committed to wrestling at all. It looked like he more so just wanted to break Max's flow by holding him against the fence. He's said a few times so ce that if he wanted to wrestle, he could ha e much more but didn't feel the need to, and I tend to believe him.
He looked good and landed some big shots while quickly bolting into range but I think if Max made the adjustments and proper footwork to keep Volk in his range it would've been his fight to lose.
If Volk could've wrestled more I think he would've showed it in the 4th and 5th rounds when the tides turned a bit.

But footwork isn't some simple adjustment and Volk showed he was the more complete striker last time out. It's a close fight but I think Volk has the tools to keep Max at range if he really only tries to box again.

Max has a weird aura that is a bit undeserved IMO. His best win was over Aldo the first time and people forget Aldo was laying a beating into him for those first 2 rounds. Maybe quick compact guys with cardio will be his kryptonite

Putting it as plainly as "Yair finished him in a competitive fight" lacks zero context. You admit that the finishing elbow was a fluke, which it was, but the time he landed it was just as flukey, if not flukier. For one, Yair and KZ had simultaneously stopped fighting seconds from the end in a moment of sportsmanship, and only resumed their engagement when the ref told them to continue fighting. Left to their own devices, the fight would've ended in a decision. Because they weren't, KZ got knocked out with one measly second left. KZ was in fact officially up on the scorecards, so idk how the specific strikes Yair landed up to that point, i.e. the five spinning elbows, are relevant. My point is that this loss detracts much less, if anything, from his resume compared to what a normal one would, given the fact that a fight he was about to win ending like this is beyond, both in method and time, an aberration.

Detroying Moicano and Edgar, who were ranked higher they are now, carries significantly more weight than anything anybody else in the division has done recently. KZ was also scheduled to fight Ortega too before Brian pulled out. No idea how the guy isn't in the #2 contender slot rn. With his only significant win being a decision over Aldo, I'd argue that Volkanovski had done less to earn his shot than what KZ has done now.
What you talking bout Willis? Volk finished Mendes then beat the FW GOAT in Brazil plus beat Elkins previously. Beating Mendes and Aldo trumps beating Edgar, Moicano and Bermudez.

Hope Max wins it

I'm not interested in it, and it seems like it would be rushing volkanovski's hand recovery, but I'm sure he wants to fight at home
This could be very bad. He could break it mid camp fairly easily. Removing your ability to box in a rematch against one of the best boxers in MMA who's gonna be checking leg kicks a lot is gonna be awful for him. Hope it doesn't happen.

Ah yes, the time of where you need to beat the champ twice in order to obtain the belt. I would've liked to at least see one fresh matchup between these two before a rematch.

<{you!}>

I would rather see some fresh matchups

BUT Max was a long time champion so I guess he does deserve a rematch

<41>
I don't agree at all with this mentality. He lost, plain as day. There was no controversy. Go earn a rematch.

Unless you lose a controversial decision or something along those lines, you don't deserve an immediate rematch IMO.

Lots of anger with Max getting the immediate re-match.... I don't have a big problem with it. He won 14 consecutive FW fights in the UFC, including finishing the FW GOAT twice, and held the title for 3 years. It was a legendary run, and it's not like he got blown out of the water and finished by Volk. I'm intrigued by the re-match- it seems the Poirier fight turned him into a bit more of a tentative fighter, but if he can get back to being the savage that he was when he fought Pettis/Aldo x2/Ortega, I think he can take it to Volk.

Back