Aljo royally messed things up for Merab

blaseblase

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So Aljo loses to O'Malley. Instead of moving to 145 like he said he would, he starts calling for another title fight. Which caused Merab to publicly state that while he wants a title shot, he wants Aljo to get a shot first out of loyalty. The UFC obviously isn't going to do that because they don't like Aljo so they move ahead with O'Malley vs Chito Vera. Now all of a sudden Aljo is calling out featherweights left and right. While his teammate is left in the dust and has to fight another top contender despite obviously deserving the title shot. Some friend. The proper move would have been to step aside and let his boy fight for the title.

Maybe Sterling gets the better of Merab in training and they think he’s more deserving because of that

So Aljo loses to O'Malley. Instead of moving to 145 like he said he would, he starts calling for another title fight. Which caused Merab to publicly state that while he wants a title shot, he wants Aljo to get a shot first out of loyalty. The UFC obviously isn't going to do that because they don't like Aljo so they move ahead with O'Malley vs Chito Vera. Now all of a sudden Aljo is calling out featherweights left and right. While his teammate is left in the dust and has to fight another top contender despite obviously deserving the title shot. Some friend. The proper move would have been to step aside and let his boy fight for the title.
Didn't they both publicly state that either one for the title would be cool? And then UFC went with Vera?

So no, any other move wouldn't have guaranteed Merab a title shot.

It's an awkward situation for sure. But I'm not sure I'm buying what you're trying to sell here.

Meanwhile, Merab is in a #1 contender shot after he didn't get a title shot. Aljo is all over the place and who knows what his next year holds. So they did the best they could do for Merab, after UFC gave Vera the rematch.

The UFC will do everything they can to avoid giving Merab the TS. He didn't do himself any favors deferring to Aljo. His style is sleep inducing and he refused to fight a teammate for the title, that's a double no-no for someone as spiteful as Dana.

Didn't they both publicly state that either one for the title would be cool? And then UFC went with Vera?

So no, any other move wouldn't have guaranteed Merab a title shot.

It's an awkward situation for sure. But I'm not sure I'm buying what you're trying to sell here.

This is the business of selling fights. If he wanted a title shot he needed to claim it. You can't half ass it and put your teammate ahead of yourself when he has already been KO'd by the champion. And Aljo needed to step aside. That's what a real friend would have done.

I don't really feel sorry for Merab and I don't think that Sterling would do the same if the roles were reversed

"Why did you even get in to this sport if that's your mentality and the way that you think... We're friends, we're this we're that. This is not about friendship... If you don't want to find out who the best in the world is, this is not the place for you...it doesn't work here."

Dana White warned them both

The UFC will do everything they can to avoid giving Merab the TS. He didn't do himself any favors deferring to Aljo. His style is sleep inducing and he refused to fight a teammate for the title, that's a double no-no for someone as spiteful as Dana.
As spiteful and petty as the UFC tends to be, I'm afraid this is the truth, Merab fucked up.

Last edited:
Merab did himself no favors. He himself had to tell Aljo to get out of his way and he wants to fight for the belt. If they're really that close of friends, Aljo would understand.

He's also a stylistic nightmare for Sean.

I don’t think Aljo screwed Merab over. There was no way Merab was getting the next title fight while Chito Vs O’mallley II was on the table. At best I would think he was third in line with Cejudo being a the preferred number 2.

Merab made his bed, now he has to lie in it.

If Merab can’t beat Cejudo, he never deserved a title shot to begin with.

Merab and that fucking team of his screwed Merab, snakes.

Back