All Things XFL: A new promotional video says XFL will relaunch in 2022

When the XFL launches in February, in which of the following will you partake?

• Watching games on television

Votes: 45 56.3%
  • Attending live games

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Buying merchandise

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Asking local sports bars to show games

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 29 36.3%

• Total voters
3. For overtime, both offenses and both defenses will be on the field at the same time but at opposite end zones. The teams will alternate trying to score conversions until one team scores and another does not. Kind of like an expedited version of NCAA overtime that doesn't drive up player stats so much.
oh shit, i want to see this in action

Video below of Oliver Luck discussing potential rule changes. Summary:

1. No extra point kicks. 1 point conversion from the 2 yard line, 2 point conversion from the 5 yard line, or a 3 point conversion from the 10 yard line.

2. 5 foot halo around kick returners and all special teams players will be situated closer to mid field to facilitate more exciting run backs.

3. For overtime, both offenses and both defenses will be on the field at the same time but at opposite end zones. The teams will alternate trying to score conversions until one team scores and another does not. Kind of like an expedited version of NCAA overtime that doesn't drive up player stats so much.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...t6aTfrjGYaRt0Igo-0QMUJkdHaJG8H_IWtGkXXgVK9fY8
lol the irony that the old XFL was famous for its "NO FAIR CATCH RULEZ YOU FiGS!!"

XFL website is up. So far there are 8 cities selected for franchises.

Dallas
Houston
L.A.
N.Y.
Seattle
St. Louis
Tampa
Washington D.C.

https://www.xfl.com/

I don't quite understand why he'd put teams in cities that already have NFL teams. That seems really odd to me. The only reason I can think of is because they already have stadiums that can handle a football team.

I think it would have been smarter to pick some cities like Portland & Oakland (losing the Raiders) and similar "smaller" cities like that without an NFL team. I like St. Loius and Houston. But Dallas??? NY?? NY isn't going to give 2 shits about XFL when they have so much NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL.

I don't quite understand why he'd put teams in cities that already have NFL teams. That seems really odd to me. The only reason I can think of is because they already have stadiums that can handle a football team.

It's because that is where all the money is. Other start ups (including the now defunct AAF) have realized that there is no money to be made putting teams in mid-sized markets like Memphis, Birmingham, Salt Lake City, etc. despite the fact that they do not already have a NFL team.

I think it would have been smarter to pick some cities like Portland & Oakland (losing the Raiders) and similar "smaller" cities like that without an NFL team. I like St. Loius and Houston. But Dallas??? NY?? NY isn't going to give 2 shits about XFL when they have so much NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL.

You need to put a team in NYC if you want a legacy network television deal, which supposedly the XFL will have.

The XFL tried to put a team in Oakland, and the city declined because they said it would interfere with preparations for the A's season.

Last edited:
It's because that is where all the money is. Other start ups (including the now defunct AAF) have realized that there is no money to be made putting teams in mid-sized markets like Memphis, Birmingham, Salt Lake City, etc. despite the fact that they do not already have an NFL team.

You need to put a team in NYC if you want a legacy network television deal, which supposedly the XFL will have.

The XFL tried to put a team in Oakland, and the city declined because they said it would interfere with preparations for the A's season.

Great post! A lot of that makes sense. I guess it's better to double dip and get the 2nds (or 3rds or 4ths) of a big market or a television deal vs being #1 in a crappy market with no money!

And I live near Oakland.....that people that run that city don't deserve to have any sports teams there anymore for how badly they've screwed up the A's situation (and Raiders.....Warriors I can't blame the city or the team for that one).

For 8 teams, I dont think the XFL will have issues finding talent at certain positions. Skill position and secondary players will be full of late 20-early 30 year old players who will still have something to prove but will no longer be viable in the NFL. There also the busts or washouts that will want a second chance. Plus there are loads of players that go undrafted.

Other positions may be a bit more tricky. They'll have to dip into FCS level talent and international american football leagues as resources.

For 8 teams, I dont think the XFL will have issues finding talent at certain positions. Skill position and secondary players will be full of late 20-early 30 year old players who will still have something to prove but will no longer be viable in the NFL. There also the busts or washouts that will want a second chance. Plus there are loads of players that go undrafted.

Other positions may be a bit more tricky. They'll have to dip into FCS level talent and international american football leagues as resources.
Oliver Luck has disclosed some strategies for going after NCAA players and players off of the bottom half of NFL rosters or practice squads, which includes making NCAA players eligible after completing their freshman year and able to earn 100 K signing bonuses. XFL salaries are as much as 600 K for one player on each roster (likely a quarterback) and as much as 300 K for all other players (plus win bonuses). Those salaries are competitive enough to dip into the NFL's talent pool a little.

giphy.webp

It's actually not a bad idea at all. It eliminates all of the undesirable elements of the NFL and NCAA overtime rules. Neither team gets the advantage of winning a coin flip to start (NFL), it doesn't ridiculously drive up player stats (NCAA), and it shouldn't take very long to complete, which is network friendly.

The XFL announced it's television deal and schedule today. They have contracts to put shows on two legacy networks and two cable networks. The networks will be paying for production costs and splitting the advertising revenue, so it looks like the XFL will be getting paid (unike the AAF).

59408854_430967347686718_776313247102926848_n.png

The XFL announced it's television deal and schedule today. They have contracts to put shows on two legacy networks and two cable networks. The networks will be paying for production costs and splitting the advertising revenue, so it looks like the XFL will be getting paid (unike the AAF).

59408854_430967347686718_776313247102926848_n.png

oh fuck yeah, im not gonna miss this shit

Per the press release below, the XFL will announce team names/branding this Wednesday.

68452551_2347757798677081_7912246764814467072_n.jpg

Holy shit. Logos look like a 7 year old drew them imo.

Holy shit. Logos look like a 7 year old drew them imo.
They look like they were pulled from the Madden and NCAA Football "Create-a-Team" logos. ESPECIALLY the Dragon and Renegade logos.

Back