All wrestling moves/takedowns are performed at "an angle" - agree/disagree?

Yes, even a simple set-up like a snap-down will make your opponent work their way back up (swiftly) and put them at an unpreferable angle (most likely looking at the floor with a bent back/weight on both of your feet)

So, yeah

Mostly but you could shoot a freight train double NFL style snd tackle somebody straight on and straight up . No angle . Just blast thru them if you’re explosive /strong enough .
You might be surprised. Have definitely been blast doubled by smaller guys (not surprisingly, college wrestler). A lot of it is timing with footwork

You might be surprised. Have definitely been blast doubled by smaller guys (not surprisingly, college wrestler). A lot of it is timing with footwork
Interesting .....yeah seems like it wood be possible but I’ve never done or seen it with smaller guy on bigger guy but yeah it seems like it could be a technical move and not just brute force .

Interesting .....yeah seems like it wood be possible but I’ve never done or seen it with smaller guy on bigger guy but yeah it seems like it could be a technical move and not just brute force .
A blast double isn't that far away from a rugby union style tackle. If you get low on the hips and gain control of the legs size and strength is not that important.

Faf de Klerk is 5'7 175 lbs

Essentially yes.
This is from a wrestling textbook, from the Bulgarian National Sports Academy (where our coaches study):

Yeah hence why you are always trying to keep your hips facing your opponents in defence.

ezgif-3-4040e7837260.gif

Last edited:
Honest question:

Are you Spacetime? If so kudos man. You outdid yourself this time around.

Honest question:

Are you Spacetime? If so kudos man. You outdid yourself this time around.
Nah just a frustrated assistant who didn’t wrestle past high school

Dough boy.. or fried food or whatever your name is. Get your own program and prove your supposed superiority.

Use that “10 years of wrasslin experience”. If you’re half the expert you claim.. you should be able to start beating everyone pretty quick.

Especially because you’re apparently going against competition that doesn’t teach “angles”

Jessica Rose Clarke must have read this thread.

I only read the first page. TS is a retard who ignores all the posts he has no rebuttal for, this one for instance:
Oh it’s hilarious. He also could be proving his point by actually coaching too. But guys like him never do

I think you've approached this from the wrong angle (pardon the pun).

There are takedowns that work with the attacker and defender squared up - look at something like tomoe-nage. Not every attack in Judo is done with angles.

I also don't agree that we only apply power in straight lines - in fact a lot of the power we are able to generate is rotational, and a lot of throws require this rotation.

In Judo we have the concept of Kuzushi, which means off balancing - as long as you are able to off-balance an opponent, you can open them up for an attack - but this doesn't necessarily mean an 'angle' if even often it can be. I great example is a simple change in direction of forward throw to rear throw (or vice versa)

Tomoe is done squared up, true...but there is an angle on a different plane of reference...lol

Geometry and physics stuff...

All BJJ is biomechanics and all biomechanics can be reduced to physics.

Back