Economy Amazon's latest full size grocery store does away with cashiers

At first glance, why? Isn't it easier to shop online and have your groceries delivered?

Now they just have to make everyone but a management staff part time to save on benefits and they will have no problem paying 15 an hour.

Just keep them out of the ghetto and you really wont have to worry. The amount of people in a middle class neighborhood willing to risk getting in trouble over 3 free apples is far and few between.
Hunger people travel.

Increasing the minimum wage is great for robots.
I literally got a notice today, as i'm the workforce coordinator for my military base, that Amazon has a brand new hiring initiative to get technicians to fix robots and they are seeking Vets for that haha

Incorrect.

Grab a history book.

I don't need to I lived in the ghetto. Almost no one even had a car to travel past our local grocery store. Our apartments (and the other 5 near by) constantly had issues with people bringing the shopping carts all the way from the grocery store to the apartment complex. Now you want to convince me that in fact these people with no transportation are much more likely to not go to that local grocery store but instead somewhere else? Just provide me with a link to your stats that refute this point cause I'd be very surprised to read this.

This might be more of a thing in places like NY, Boston where people walk more but here in Texas no one is doing that shit.

At first glance, why? Isn't it easier to shop online and have your groceries delivered?
Don't know about you, but I'm not buying fresh meat or produce online. I'm also not trusting some minimum wage employee to pick the best cuts of meat for me and my taste.

Don't know about you, but I'm not buying fresh meat or produce online. I'm also not trusting some minimum wage employee to pick the best cuts of meat for me and my taste.

I'm not relying on generic grocery stores to even have the best meat for me. I trust my local butcher for that.
But for a majority of groceries, I by far prefer the convenience of ordering online.

I wonder what will happen when the Compton pilot store opens.

I'm not relying on generic grocery stores to even have the best meat for me. I trust my local butcher for that.
But for a majority of groceries, I by far prefer the convenience of ordering online.
When I lived in Bangkok I ordered 90 % of my groceries online. I picked the meat myself but that was about it, even the fruits and veggies were of good quality.

This might be more of a thing in places like NY, Boston where people walk more but here in Texas no one is doing that shit.
Maybe they should in Texas do more walking they could make a case vs M4A.

41d4c00ee84ac790b9e61e1f71459efc.jpg

this is really exciting tech. i remember the first time i saw it.

i wonder how its going to work with produce though where the customer has to weigh the products. i can see how it works with products that have a barcode. maybe they just do prepackaged produce or they have a solution around that? otherwise, whats to stop someone weighing up 2 apples and putting sticker on a bag of 2 apples and then throwing another 5 apples in the bag before he walks out?
They can have one worker in the produce area to weigh and tag bags of produce.

This century is shaping up for some drastic social upheaval. Gonna be nothing but counsellors treating each other for depression by 2100. Im starting to think many other originally organic but advanced civilizations become artificial, as a natural course of progress/evolution.

We need to put the robots down now befor they start a union.

I've only used self checkout a few times at various Wal-Mart locations; they never seem to work right, so I will always go to a human cashier if available. It's been a while since I've used one though, so they might be somewhat better now. The last time I was at my nearest Wal-Mart it looked like the majority of the cashiers had been replaced by self checkout tills, so it probably won't be too long until all the human cashiers are replaced.

Back