Andre Galvao vs Gordon Ryan

BTW what's the name of the OG fighter in your avatar? I always forget it.
bibiano fernandes.

been rocking this AV since the DREAM FW GP in 2009, we had a bit of a betting tournament about it here. bibiano was the dark horse of that tournament, ended up winning it.

you're right about him being an OG. this cat won the mundials like 5 times then went on to fight faber and yamamoto in his second and third pro MMA fight. he lost both, but he did well enough that everyone got the message he is not to be fucked with. 15 years later and he's 24-5, having held titles in a couple of orgs. one of the best - and almost completely unknown - fighters in the history of both BJJ and MMA. he's a bad motherfucker.

Sorry, i'm gonna say what like no one is willing to admit, but Prime Marcelo is extremely limited and pretty fucking overrated. Love the guy, he's OBVIOUSLY an all time great, but he said and preached wild shit about his jiujitsu and how he taught it in general and got finished with techniques he said he "Didn't believe in".

Gordon would kick the shit out of Marcelo, especially the 2017 iteration of Gordon that was much leaner, faster and had better cardio.
meh. he ruled his division with an iron fist for like a decade. from 2003 until 2011, in nogi, he was destroying everyone even remotely close to his weight with ridiculous efficiency.

his record is outstanding, he beat a ridiculous list of legends, a bunch of them by submission. for instance, he's like 3-0 against galvao and just owned him every time they met.

how do you overrate a 4 time ADCC champion and a 5 time IBJJF world champion?

Marcelo would get hopelessy stomped from this Gordon.. the difference in size is too important, Gordan definitely towers him even if he decides to juice to the extreme, I don't think there is a way he could ever close that gap.

The best possible version of Roger with a reasonable time to prepare and catch up would be the only fantasy one interesting enough at this point, indeed.

I think prime Arona beats him by decision.

I think prime Arona beats him by decision.
prime arona was godlike without the gi.

he won three ADCC gold medals, one of them in the absolute, and a super fight against kerr, without ever having a single point scored against him. i don't really follow grappling that closely anymore, but has anyone else pulled that off yet?

i think he could beat gordon. wouldn't bet any money on it, ryan has a habit of submitting world class competitors with ease, but arona was definitely a unique beast under the ADCC ruleset.

This is precisely what I'm talking about; you talk about Marcelo, whose game has only worked for him and Diniz at the highest level, and people lose their fucking minds.
Marcelo is amazing, but I think putting him on the Roger, Rafa, Ryan pedestal is false. That's the point. He's great, just not the greatest as a ton of fans say.

What are you talking about? The x guard, SLX, seatbelt system is a huge part of the standard no gi game played by everybody these days. If anything, Marcelo is underrated.

he won three ADCC gold medals, one of them in the absolute, and a super fight against kerr, without ever having a single point scored against him. i don't really follow grappling that closely anymore, but has anyone else pulled that off yet?

i think he could beat gordon. wouldn't bet any money on it, ryan has a habit of submitting world class competitors with ease, but arona was definitely a unique beast under the ADCC ruleset.
The way Gordon is able to use leg entanglements to take the back, sweep, or create scrambles is really advanced compared to what Arona was dealing with. Of course, he was a technical player and would be able to adapt to advancements in the game, so you never know.

bibiano fernandes.

been rocking this AV since the DREAM FW GP in 2009, we had a bit of a betting tournament about it here. bibiano was the dark horse of that tournament, ended up winning it.

you're right about him being an OG. this cat won the mundials like 5 times then went on to fight faber and yamamoto in his second and third pro MMA fight. he lost both, but he did well enough that everyone got the message he is not to be fucked with. 15 years later and he's 24-5, having held titles in a couple of orgs. one of the best - and almost completely unknown - fighters in the history of both BJJ and MMA. he's a bad motherfucker.

I remember him finishing Joe Warren early in that Dream tournament, and that was right after Warren took the shine off Kid's crazy win streak (which included Fernandes) with a SD. I hope the dude's been getting paid over in ONE FC because he's certainly earned it.

What are you talking about? The x guard, SLX, seatbelt system is a huge part of the standard no gi game played by everybody these days. If anything, Marcelo is underrated.

Taking the back and going for a RNC is so 2005, move on man.

Word. if we consider SLX to be like Ashi Garami, MG was doing that before anybody. Gordon Ryan's supine guard instructional has tons of X-Guard. And trapping the arm under a leg from back control is something MG has been doing since 2003.

The way MG executes his game is unique to him and can't be replicated, imo, but his influence on modern no-gi has been massive.

Demian Maia is credited with inventing SLX, Marcelo was far from the first to use X or the seatbelt.
One of the greats, but mentioning him with Roger, Rafa, Gordon, etc is foolish. He's FAR from underrated.

I think he is overlooked because he is relatively boring. I think Arona also had a good chance of beating Roger on points. I forgot his name, but Roger struggled with a similar grappler during his 2005 run (from memory). This made me think Arona could pull it off (perhaps even with ease).

Unlike most of todays competitors, Arona didnt look out of water on his feet and was a truly complete grappler (outisde of the potential criticism he should have finished more).

The way Gordon is able to use leg entanglements to take the back, sweep, or create scrambles is really advanced compared to what Arona was dealing with. Of course, he was a technical player and would be able to adapt to advancements in the game, so you never know.

Arona was a master of shutting people down and controlling them (in addition to gaming the points system to always come out on top).

If it was a no time limit match then I think Gordon as the safer bet, but Arona was built for ADCC.

I think he is overlooked because he is relatively boring. I think Arona also had a good chance of beating Roger on points. I forgot his name, but Roger struggled with a similar grappler during his 2005 run (from memory). This made me think Arona could pull it off (perhaps even with ease).

Unlike most of todays competitors, Arona didnt look out of water on his feet and was a truly complete grappler (outisde of the potential criticism he should have finished more).
How was Arona going to beat Roger on point? Rogers back defense was too good for Arona to take it, and ADCC only scores takedowns under narrow circumstances.

How was Arona going to beat Roger on point? Rogers back defense was too good for Arona to take it, and ADCC only scores takedowns under narrow circumstances.
He’d just sit in his guard and lay and pray and get controversial decision. He had several matches like that . Roger in no gi doesn’t sub Aroma ( in gi he would prob ).

if i recall correctly, xande beat roger the last time they fought by basically scoring some points and then shutting down all action. arona did that to everyone, it wouldn't shock me at all if he won a 40 minute snoozefest against roger.

ricardo was more boring than watching paint dry, but the he was highly effective.

My god, Arona was absolutely brutal to watch.

People will go on about how he never had a point scored against him, but my research tells me he never scored more than 3 points in a match - mostly 2 points and several wins by penalties or advantages.

Back