Another couple of sparring clips.

Gfreak

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey y'all, me again! lol

1st round, guy was obviously much newer. (yes, he did apologize after punching me lol)

2nd round was against a guy with much more experience than me and has been an amateur fighter for a while.

Last edited:
Well.. You have an idea as to what you are doing. That's nice. I guess I should have recorded one of the 1,742 sparring sessions in my life lol

Well.. You have an idea as to what you are doing. That's nice. I guess I should have recorded one of the 1,742 sparring sessions in my life lol
That's a lie. Probably 3-4-5x a month for 7-8 years, including all the boxing we did as kids.

Are you sparring in top boxers.

Anyways. You need to keep your hands up and work your blocking. A tight guard with good eyes for blocking is going to take you a long way in staying comfortable in mid range.
Subtle blocks and subtle movement

Anyways that’s what I’ve been working. Not always leaning or moving back against punches because if your back hits a wall or they just commit and step in, both you and the other amateur get hit clean

Last edited:

Anyways. You need to keep your hands up and work your blocking. A tight guard with good eyes for blocking is going to take you a long way in staying comfortable in mid range.

Anyways that’s what I’ve been working. Not always leaning or moving back against punches because if your back hits a wall or they just commit and step in, both you and the other amateur get hit clean

Yep! 16oz yopboxers for sparring, they're like hitting my par, I've got fairtex for bag gloves.

Definitely have to work on my defense

Your coach is a legend. "I want you breathing like you have just given birth," cracked me up.

Don't lower yourself to the level of your sparring partner, if even if you were taking it easy. You looked a lot better in the second clip. Also you start off parry jabs fairly well but you are getting lazy towards the end and relying on movement a bit much. There was an excellent parry, roll under the right and counter uppercut at the end of the second clip. It looked smooth and was by far the best sequence of boxing in the two clips.

Last edited:
Yea, definitely a bad habit. That first guy was very new. Maybe a couple months in at most.

2nd guy i was absolutely trying more lol. My cardio was also feeling like shit towards the end of that 2nd round, that's where that laziness you see is from haha.

And yea dude my coach has some great sayings lol.

Hey y'all, me again! lol

1st round, guy was obviously much newer. (yes, he did apologize after punching me lol)

2nd round was against a guy with much more experience than me and has been an amateur fighter for a while.

good work.

nothing stands out as majorly wrong at all. Only thing that did stick out to me, was your chins up quite a bit, I would suggest starting some drills on keeping it down.

A few other suggestions would be punches in bunches dude, an easy way to accomplish this, is to think of touching him rather than punching him, just touch him in different locations like 3 times, and make the last 4th punch the hard one.

When you got inside, you threw only 1 punch to the body quite a bit. again punches in bunches.....we got inside....hooray! now that were there lets do something, so rip 3 or 4 punches to the body rather than one. I will say that at least once you got inside the pocket, at least you punched, a lot of guys work hard to get into that pocket, and once there, do nothing and jump out.

Theres always things to work and improve which just goes with practicing the sport, I only watched your second video since you said it was with a more experienced guy. good work.

i know hes just boxing but guys tha like to lean back a lot are easy to kick in the head. specifically if they like ot go back and to the side, or even just side to side. For example, you notice a guy always slips to the outside of your jab (ortho to ortho) so jab slightly to his left, to make him slip to his right, and just switch kick him in his head, its like forcing him to move his head where you want to kick.

Looking pretty decent. Also, what a nice atmosphere, seems like you guys are getting a long well, and that makes training so much more enjoyable. Nothing worse than having to mean mug everyone and always be on edge.

Anyway, second guy did look at little more experienced. He had tighter steps (which is probably your biggest weakness right now, you plod you more, but that's not necessarily all bad) and some okay head movement here and there. His punches weren't that great though (decent pop but mostly looping long range and chin up) and you looked slightly better on the inside. Your coach was right in telling you to go to the body, because when you rolled under and did it you had a lot of success. You are very good at that, you just need to come upstairs after going to the body, that would help you land more. Also, with a guy like that you should try pressuring him and cutting off the ring. You were going tit for tat with him in the middle of the ring a little too much, he had the advantage there, but in close I could see you wearing him down even now. Especially trapping him against the fence/ropes or leaning in on him.

i know hes just boxing but guys tha like to lean back a lot are easy to kick in the head. specifically if they like ot go back and to the side, or even just side to side. For example, you notice a guy always slips to the outside of your jab (ortho to ortho) so jab slightly to his left, to make him slip to his right, and just switch kick him in his head, its like forcing him to move his head where you want to kick.
I've been caught with that setup many times, can confirm.

Y'all are awesome, thanks for the tips/insights from all of y'all. Will definitely be working on punching more, not really sure why I got in close, threw 1 punch and stopped. But I did haha.

As for the Gym, yea i love my coach and the team. i've been through a lot of different gyms over the last 10 years from different martial arts. there's a reason I stuck with these guys even though it's a drive to get to, It's nice to have a team where no one has an ego when it comes to training.
If any of y'all are down in Houston Come give us a visit at Mack's Gym/markle gold team.

Also, I talked with the 2nd guy after the round. And that's exactly what he told me to do. Said I would be a lot harder for him to deal with if I started doing that haha.

", but in close I could see you wearing him down even now. Especially trapping him against the fence/ropes or leaning in on him."

Looking pretty decent. Also, what a nice atmosphere, seems like you guys are getting a long well, and that makes training so much more enjoyable. Nothing worse than having to mean mug everyone and always be on edge.

Anyway, second guy did look at little more experienced. He had tighter steps (which is probably your biggest weakness right now, you plod you more, but that's not necessarily all bad) and some okay head movement here and there. His punches weren't that great though (decent pop but mostly looping long range and chin up) and you looked slightly better on the inside. Your coach was right in telling you to go to the body, because when you rolled under and did it you had a lot of success. You are very good at that, you just need to come upstairs after going to the body, that would help you land more. Also, with a guy like that you should try pressuring him and cutting off the ring. You were going tit for tat with him in the middle of the ring a little too much, he had the advantage there, but in close I could see you wearing him down even now. Especially trapping him against the fence/ropes or leaning in on him.

I've been caught with that setup many times, can confirm.
Good advice, also it's not fun ducking into switch kicks, I have done the same thing a few times.

Y'all are awesome, thanks for the tips/insights from all of y'all. Will definitely be working on punching more, not really sure why I got in close, threw 1 punch and stopped. But I did haha.

As for the Gym, yea i love my coach and the team. i've been through a lot of different gyms over the last 10 years from different martial arts. there's a reason I stuck with these guys even though it's a drive to get to, It's nice to have a team where no one has an ego when it comes to training.
If any of y'all are down in Houston Come give us a visit at Mack's Gym/markle gold team.
It's a lot easier to cover up after throwing single shots, it takes more head movement and footwork (stepping/pivoting out) to throw combos and stay defensively responsible. I used to have a bad habit of relying on single right hand counters, which becomes very predictable against decent opponents. Just saying it's kinda normal to look for single shots, especially for big punchers, it takes work and solid defensive skills for the hands to start flowing freely. Sinister's heavyweight is great at apply effective pressure with combos, there was also a sparring clip where one of his fighters put on an exceptional showing of technical aggression with body work.

Back