Another Kid (girl) who can kick my ass - knees

GordoBarraBJJ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Anyhow,

I'm posting because I've never seen (I guess I should watch more MT) knees like this girl. Anyone here familiar with this type of kneeing. She also seems like a vicious gal - choking that one girl out and not letting go of the choke when the ref tried to stop it.

But mostly those knees are impressive and unorthodox(at least to me).

We called them push knees, but they probably have different names in different places. Basically, when you knee, you use your hips while you raise your knee to strike. For the push knees, you raise your knee before, then use your hip to thrust forward. It's mostly used in the clinch, since by holding your opponent, you can push your hips further back to wind the strike, and making the thrust more long and more powerful. That also gives space inside the clinch for the knees.
And it also help to avoid the defense from a check, since they go above it in a straight line, and not upwards. That's why you will also see them often having the leg horizontally to avoid the opponents leg completely.
So basically in the clinch, straight knees are hard to pull, so most will go for the side ones. This method is to give you the opportunity to throw straight ones in the clinch, and bypass the check defense.

We called them push knees, but they probably have different names in different places. Basically, when you knee, you use your hips while you raise your knee to strike. For the push knees, you raise your knee before, then use your hip to thrust forward. It's mostly used in the clinch, since by holding your opponent, you can push your hips further back to wind the strike, and making the thrust more long and more powerful. That also gives space inside the clinch for the knees.
And it also help to avoid the defense from a check, since they go above it in a straight line, and not upwards. That's why you will also see them often having the leg horizontally to avoid the opponents leg completely.
So basically in the clinch, straight knees are hard to pull, so most will go for the side ones. This method is to give you the opportunity to throw straight ones in the clinch, and bypass the check defense.
thanks for the info.

I've seen in before in some of Lamnamoom's fights a while back, he uses a couple of the push style knees to hurt his opponent in this sequence.

And here he demonstrates several knee techniques including the push style knee (#4).

Can't say I've really used it since I'm mostly a close in clincher and the technique works better from a looser & longer style clinch.

like arize said i think theres a few different names for it, the name I am familiar with is knee kick. The video does a good job of explaining the technique. I have used it once in a fight. I think the technique is going to be much more effective for someone built like her, thin and lanky with long legs and good flexibility.

@ARIZE

the techique seems really vulnerable to sweeps with all that fwd pressure.

I was shadow boxing a bit today as well as trying to so some foot work drills and tried tried to play with this type of knee and I feel like I'm going to pull something (lowerback, hip, ad/abductors).

Maybe i'm just too old and need to stretch more.

I think some people also call them thrust knees?

the techique seems really vulnerable to sweeps with all that fwd pressure.

I though so too at first, but i found out that, if your opponent is very aggressive with it, it can be very overwhelming to search for that sweep. It's also a long strike (in the clinching distance), meaning the rear leg is kinda far back to reach, so you kinda got to step into it... but that means you step into the knee with no defense. And specially if your opponent is taller, with longer limbs it's kinda difficult to find the leg back there. And even if it's a strike, it can often push you back if they let go of the clinch, making even harder to reach for the base leg.

Side stepping in the clinch can work if you want to go for the sweep, but it's also easier for them to readjust the angle, since they usually have a loose/long clinch.

The leg shield can work, but you really got to glue yourself to the opponent, because the way they move their hips back, it opens the path, and they can go over it. And if you are very tight in the clinch with a leg shield, you are the one in danger for the sweep.
Honestly, if I were against a very aggressive guy that uses that knee, my first reaction would be in the clinch to go for the bear-hug to stop the action, and use a lot of teeps when he tries to close the space. Distance feints, small step back, then teep when he enters for example.
But it's kinda rare to find outside of Thailand a guy very heavy on that type of knees.

Can't say I've really used it since I'm mostly a close in clincher and the technique works better from a looser & longer style clinch.

If you are usually the taller guy, it's still a nice technique to have in the bag. But like you, i usually am a closer tight clincher, looking for elbows and sweeps.

@GordoBarraBJJ

It's a technique that is easy to understand, but very difficult to be skillful with it. Getting good power just from the hip thrust is not so simple.

Last edited:
@GordoBarraBJJ

It's a technique that is easy to understand, but very difficult to be skillful with it. Getting good power just from the hip thrust is not so simple.
Yeah, I'm learning that. Feels very awkward and feels like I cannot get any real power in it.

@ARIZE

worked it on the bag a bit yesterday after seeing this lol....I am gonna have to try it in sparring, I have not used it much outside of playing. I have used it once in a fight, I went to throw a knee that was too long, and turned it into a "knee kick" pretty much a unintentional spur of the moment type of thing.

Last edited:
@shincheckin

Don't know if you need any more tips, but it might help someone else too.
I'm not the best at it, and i don't really use it during fights, so others may have better pointers.
(I might or might not have used a sided variation against some dickheads in TKD, disguised as failed snapkicks)

The way I know it, there are 2 main types:

The simple one is to raise the knee, then hipthrust it forward. It's a just piercing knee but with the 2 movements
(up and forward) decomposed instead of both blended together.

Personally, the knee tends to drop when I hipthrust, so I got to raise it higher than where I aim. I am also not really good with the front one, so I use a small jumping step to add more power. But honestly, i dont think i ever used the front one a fight. With the rear one, i am more descent, but still, not my to go move.

You can use the raising of the knee as a feint, that will show you the opponent's reaction and continue accordingly.
You can also go for a teep/front kick when you raise the knee and realize the distance has changed.

I dont pull my adversary towards my strike as I would usually for the other types of knees, but I help myself to lunch forwards. Not sure if the difference is clear. After the contact, you can continue to "dig in" and pull the opponent's head down, to break their posture.
A lot of times, you will have to release the clinch to add more power, bringing your arms back.

For the second variation, the leg has an angle.
The big difference is that at the moment of impact, you also snap your leg forward, often adding a push to the strike. Depending of the timing, it can have as a result to either push, or strike with the upper shin part.
The snapping adds reach to the strike.

Also, at least for me, the balance changes when I add the push, so its something you will need to work with a partner. Some times you will find yourself able to put your leg back where it came from, but some times you will push the opponent and find your self needing to step down in a switching position.

Last edited:

See-ap knee is what I heard it being called before! It's a good one for breaking posture

@AndyMaBobs

Ok great. Any idea of the meaning? Lately I found out that they also call it Dtae kao in Thailand, so as sincheckin said, knee kick.

And yeah, they are great for breaking posture, you can literally make them fold in half...

@AndyMaBobs

Ok great. Any idea of the meaning? Lately I found out that they also call it Dtae kao in Thailand, so as sincheckin said, knee kick.

And yeah, they are great for breaking posture, you can literally make them fold in half...

No idea! I think it might have been Yodkhunpon who called it that, I've got no clue as to the meaning though I speak a little bit of Thai but not enough to hold a conversation or translate!

Supergirl blasts her knee a bit more than I do, but the variant of it I've seen is where your knee is high and then rakes down, like you say, fold them in half, then you can throw up more of a swinging knee

This forum is getting a lot better and helpful now that a certain guy is not spamming the shit outta threads.

@shincheckin

Don't know if you need any more tips, but it might help someone else too.
I'm not the best at it, and i don't really use it during fights, so others may have better pointers.
(I might or might not have used a sided variation against some dickheads in TKD, disguised as failed snapkicks)

The way I know it, there are 2 main types:

The simple one is to raise the knee, then hipthrust it forward. It's a just piercing knee but with the 2 movements
(up and forward) decomposed instead of both blended together.

Personally, the knee tends to drop when I hipthrust, so I got to raise it higher than where I aim. I am also not really good with the front one, so I use a small jumping step to add more power. But honestly, i dont think i ever used the front one a fight. With the rear one, i am more descent, but still, not my to go move.

You can use the raising of the knee as a feint, that will show you the opponent's reaction and continue accordingly.
You can also go for a teep/front kick when you raise the knee and realize the distance has changed.

I dont pull my adversary towards my strike as I would usually for the other types of knees, but I help myself to lunch forwards. Not sure if the difference is clear. After the contact, you can continue to "dig in" and pull the opponent's head down, to break their posture.
A lot of times, you will have to release the clinch to add more power, bringing your arms back.

For the second variation, the leg has an angle.
The big difference is that at the moment of impact, you also snap your leg forward, often adding a push to the strike. Depending of the timing, it can have as a result to either push, or strike with the upper shin part.
The snapping adds reach to the strike.

Also, at least for me, the balance changes when I add the push, so its something you will need to work with a partner. Some times you will find yourself able to put your leg back where it came from, but some times you will push the opponent and find your self needing to step down in a switching position.

well said and good break down, regarding the lead leg use, yeah i doubt it would be effective, from what i see, like you mentioned, its typically thrown with the rear leg, and you end up switching back and forth from southpaw to orthodox, so its always thrown with the rear leg. That girl probably gets away with using her lead leg as well but shes seemed to have mastered it and developed her whole fighting style around it.

Back