Anthem: Official E3 2017 Trailer (upcoming BioWare game to be released Feb-22)

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The gameplay trailer is freaking sick.

For the PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Many have observed that it appears set to challenge the same space that Destiny 2 is occupying in the gamer market.
Years ago, Casey Hudson, the executive producer on the original Mass Effect trilogy, founded a new team at BioWare Edmonton to begin work on an entirely new franchise. According to a recent report at Kotaku, the project was codenamed Dylan “because Hudson and team wanted to make the Bob Dylan of video games—one that would be referenced for years to come.”

Now we know the game’s official title: Anthem.

The game is rumored to be EA’s response to social-action game franchises like Activision’s Destiny. In an earnings call in May, EA CEO Andrew Wilson said of the game: "We are very pleased with the progress of our new action IP from BioWare. The design is stunning. Gameplay mechanics are excellent. And the action will be exhilarating. The game is built around a live service, and through our creative process, we've decided to add more to the disruptive new social designs for our players.
Decide for yourself how similar these games are:

Not sure if it's true or not but it looks like Anthem got Biowares A team and Andromeda got the B team.

Actually I am pretty frikken interested in this now. Looks amazing.

Its trailer looked sick (one of the few bright moments of E3), but I've been let down by a beefed up trailer before, so I'll wait for more to come out about it, but overall it looks absolutely awesome (I love open world games).

It's like Destiny? Well that's a bummer.

I played a lot of Destiny between August and November 2015. Had the first three DLCs: Dark Below, House of Wolves and the Taken King . But after those 3 months something just clicked inside of me and I suddenly didn't enjoy it anymore at all. Didn't get the Rise of Iron DLC. Have absolutely no interest whatsoever in Destiny 2.

Now after watching this, and seeing it's another game of "go do that optional area over there whenever on another play through" and "grinding for gear" I am not interested. That has no appeal for me. The odd thing is that 15 years ago that was just fine for me when I used to play Diablo 2 a ton, but that feeling of enjoyment is I had is gone. Maybe that's why I didn't like Diablo 3. Maybe it's not that the game wasn't good, maybe it's that I just don't like that style of game anymore.

This is too bad. I loved the Mass Effect trilogy, Jade Empire and Baldur's Gate 2. Oh well.

Game has my interest as any bioware game will. This is done by the same team that put out inquisition so yeah pretty hyped for this. I hate hearing about all these games at E3 then waiting forever to get more, cryo sleep where you at.

Can BioWare just shit out KOTOR 3 already?

Looks awesome but so do many gameplay trailers for games that turned out to be refried shit. I'll be waiting in anticipation but I've gotten my hopes up way too many times thanks to awesome gameplay trailers only to be disappointed. Here's to hoping this one is different.

Also, lmao at the fake dialogue between the players. Who the fuck talks like that while playing a game?

Yeah the narrative was very "Try-hard".

Also it always seems to me that these companies put the "Gamer chick" in charge as squad leader. Division did that too. Might even be the same person? I don't know. Just an observation.

Last edited:
Looks awesome but so do many gameplay trailers for games that turned out to be refried shit. I'll be waiting in anticipation but I've gotten my hopes up way too many times thanks to awesome gameplay trailers only to be disappointed. Here's to hoping this one is different.

Also, lmao at the fake dialogue between the players. Who the fuck talks like that while playing a game?

Some people on Reddit are having that very same discussion here.

I don't know why people get annoyed at scripted teammate banter for highly scripted demos. It's there to show that feature, nothing more.

Besides, it's not like they can say, "Sick fuckin' kill, bro. You wasted that bitch."

I did not think the banter was all that bad, people just looking fro shit to winy about. in a competitive game people don't communicate anyways lol.

I never said I was annoyed by the banter.

Looks great. Does it play like the division though, where other players only appear for instances?

I don't know why people get annoyed at scripted teammate banter for highly scripted demos. It's there to show that feature, nothing more.

Besides, it's not like they can say, "Sick fuckin' kill, bro. You wasted that bitch."

For a scripted VOIP it wasn't to bad. Not nearly as cringey as The Division gameplay premiere demo.

The banter reminded me of the cringy Wildlands promo. That said, the game is over a year off and while it looks cool, I'll wait until 2018 to make a proper judgment.

aaahaha

I'm pretty thrilled. MMOs have lost me, and the only way I see myself ever going back to the genre is with games like this. They need to play as well as other games to even get my consideration. That said, every Bioware game that I've played on PC has been sorta buggy. Whenever it comes out, I'll probably give it a week or so and sift through people's reactions to whatever technical issues come up.

Back