Anthem: Official E3 2017 Trailer (upcoming BioWare game to be released Feb-22)

You could see EA start fucking them over with ME:2

Kotaku just published article about all the things that went wrong with Anthem during developement and holy shit it is bad!
https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

Some choice parts:

What the hell?!

Holy fuck!

What an unbelievable shit show!
I just finished reading this. Considering the state of the studio after all these people have left, I'm probably going to look at anything they put out sideways. Depressing.

AJ with the finishing blow

All this time I was lead to believe ME:A was compromised all for the sake of Anthem and it turns out it was just a repeat performance of the same shit show.

So EA fucked them over... go figure..

Definitely but Bioware has been leaking top talent for years. Their whole structure sounds like it has been a mess since the Doctors left. Also sounds like everything that could have gone wrong with Anthem did indeed go wrong.

Bummed about that Dragon Age 4 bit and Mike Laidlaw leaving because it got canned. :( Trespasser is some of Bioware's best DLC content and really set up the next game so well. And Frostbyte continues to destroy that studio. A shame.

As an Edmontonian seeing BioWare fall like this is especially hard. Any time a local business, restaurant or sports franchise goes under or leaves it sucks. BioWare is our video game company, and for a long time it was one of the best out there. I was telling my wife that they could be done after Anthem flopped. She hasn’t really ever played their games, but she thought it was cool having them around, and she knew how much I loved Mass Effect and Baldur’s Gate, so she feels empathetic to my distress over this all.

I've been thinking about how to share the blame between EA and BioWare.
I think it is about 50-50:
EA:
forces to use Frostbite
shuffles BioWare's Frostbite talent to work on FIFA
EA Frostbite support team doesn't give enough of their time to BW
forces to use microtransactions
sets a hard release date

BioWare:
leadership can't make decisions
Austin is ignored even though they had experience from online games
doesnt even allow talking about other loot shooters and how they do things

Modifier:
If the reason for BW leadership not making decision is that they couldn't be sure whether those decisions would work in Frostbite, then it is 60-40 for EA

It’s a damn shame though. The controls are on point. It was promising. Haven’t touched the game in weeks.

Their posted response would mean more if they hadn't tried to take advantage of people by selling multiple tiers of the game with varying release dates. They knew that if everyone was aware of the issues this game had and that it had only really been in production for about a year and a half, it would have sold even worse. EA and Bioware knew they weren't releasing a complete product, and without Schreier's article none of us would have known the extent to which they were aware of the game's issues.

I think it's time for me to just stop buying EA's games altogether. I was pretty much only buying Bioware and Respawn's stuff anyways.

BioWare:
Austin is ignored even though they had experience from online games

This is the craziest part about the whole article. Over a decade experience in that realm of games. No matter when you look at SWTOR during its release to now, people always raved about the stories and the implementation of them in the game. Absolutely nuts they wouldn't just ask them how they make stories work in an always online co-op game.

So, uhh, none of you dudes are playing this game then, I take it?

I'm still playing it here and there but it is just a simple fly-around-and-shoot-stuff game for me at this point. I've come to expect no satisfaction beyond that of stomping enemies on lower levels and getting OHK'd on Grandmaster III missions.

I've been playing this for a while, it is grindy but fun. I think at this point I have acquired every single different type of gun and there's not many, does it get any better? Or do you get any new attacks? It's fun jumping in a mission with 3 others and just smashing fools with that lightning blast thing, I presume it doesn't get any more varied as I go on?

So, uhh, none of you dudes are playing this game then, I take it?

I'm still playing it here and there but it is just a simple fly-around-and-shoot-stuff game for me at this point. I've come to expect no satisfaction beyond that of stomping enemies on lower levels and getting OHK'd on Grandmaster III missions.
The loot drops killed it for me as well as the blatant false extending of the time with those Tomb missions.

Division 2 almost drops TOO MUCH loot but I love the gameplay so much more.

Game was real fun till about 6 hours after endgame. then it was like huh thats enough. When they fix the loot or add in something i can actually get in a session I will come back to play, till then I got better things to do with my time.

Best game of that series

I've always preferred the first one out of the trilogy. The gameplay wasn't nearly as refined but it had the best storyline and I loved the settings and locales in that game.

The 2nd one to me has the best gameplay, but it does little to progress the overall storyline and the new characters are barely used in 3. I still love the concept of building a team to prepare for the final mission, I just wish the events in the game had a bigger impact in the narrative of the games.

Game was real fun till about 6 hours after endgame. then it was like huh thats enough. When they fix the loot or add in something i can actually get in a session I will come back to play, till then I got better things to do with my time.

the fact that they created such a fun gameplay in this game in such a short amount of time is commendable. they simply need to add those features you mentioned AND fix loading issue and they'll have a great game. I am not sure if they can recover and fix everything mentioned though.

Back