Any 35 + year olds compete in Adult Divisions?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm 37 year old blue belt and have competed in Masters 1 (30-35) and masters 2 (35-40) . Sometimes they combine into one in smaller comps (30-40).

However I can't travel anymore on weekends so stuck to doing local comps , meaning the annual IBJJF Open and a half dozen other smaller comps (grappling x, JJWL, etc )

Problem is 99% of the time it's just me and another guy in our bracket . Should i just compete in Adult brackets ? I do well against other blues in my academy who are in their 20s, just not sure about comps .

Tldr; I want to compete but not enough participants in old man divisons , can I do adult or will I legit get killed ?

I did it recently but not by choice. There were no old purples and I was put in with the adults at a Grappling Industries. I think it depends on the competition. If it is a smaller comp you should be OK. If it is IBJJF or UAE you may have people who train full time in your division. I think location will be a factor also. You can always try it and see how you like or don't like the experience.

I did it recently but not by choice. There were no old purples and I was put in with the adults at a Grappling Industries. I think it depends on the competition. If it is a smaller comp you should be OK. If it is IBJJF or UAE you may have people who train full time in your division. I think location will be a factor also. You can always try it and see how you like or don't like the experience.

Thanks buddy . You're still alive so that's good

I'm mid 40's and I've done adult divisions before when there's not enough old farts like me in my division. There are days I won gold, and there are days I get smashed by some 23 years old purple belt that's a beast. It's a good learning experience. I train for self-defense so I don't care about age. If I get into a street fight, I don't care about who my attackers are on the street.

By the way, Wellington "Megaton" Dias (Mackenzie Dern's dad) did adult divisions all the time. There's a match in the finals in 2015 where he got totally destroyed by Joao Miyao. Pretty sure he's not tripping off of that. It's all a learning experience. But major props for a 51 years old dude that's an old fart made it to the finals in the black belt adult division. That's VERY impressive!

Last edited:
You could always sign up for Master 2 and if nobody else joins your division, then you edit your registration right before the deadline and drop down to either Master 1 or Adult.

Some older guys perfer adult because it give you more time to cook. Masters start to give less and less time.

Im 35 in a few days. I find myself with less energy yet consistently stronger than young guys. Not always but...has anyone noticed that?

Sometimes. Because at brown and black depending on where you live sometimes there's only 1 other (or sometimes even no other) people at your age and weight. So you either have to cut a lot of weight, compete at a heavier weight, or do your weight at adult.

i would tbh until im 40s i personally would get nothing out of winning masters divisions but i take it more serious than just the hobbyist at black id wana fight the very best

another black belt team mate of mine is hoping to go to masters worlds at 130 and only have like 1 match so he can claim hes a bb world champ i dont see how he could honestly feel like a legit world champ knowing that

I'm mid 40's and I've done adult divisions before when there's not enough old farts like me in my division. There are days I won gold, and there are days I get smashed by some 23 years old purple belt that's a beast. It's a good learning experience. I train for self-defense so I don't care about age. If I get into a street fight, I don't care about who my attackers are on the street.

By the way, Wellington "Megaton" Dias (Mackenzie Dern's dad) did adult divisions all the time. There's a match in the finals in 2015 where he got totally destroyed by Joao Miyao. Pretty sure he's not tripping off of that. It's all a learning experience. But major props for a 51 years old dude that's an old fart made it to the finals in the black belt adult division. That's VERY impressive!

It fills me with rage to see Miyao do those moves - it shouldn't be possible to move like that, that was ridiculous. Very impressive though

Im 35 in a few days. I find myself with less energy yet consistently stronger than young guys. Not always but...has anyone noticed that?

Yes.

I'm mid 40's and have trained free weights, running and combat sports since 15. My physical peak (best overall strength, explosion, flexibility, gas tank, recovery) was around 27. But my peak as far as pure strength was late 30's and I think it's possible to maintain or even exceed that level with smart training into older age.

But old man strength is the only thing I have going for me now. My explosion and recovery are terrible compared to my 20's. Starting around 35 I also felt less energy and started getting sick more often and it was because my body couldn't handle 5 or 6 days/week of balls out workouts anymore. I cut back to 3 or 4 workouts/week at lower intensity (which I still do now) and my energy level went back up. Just have to get enough sleep and make sure your body is adequately recovered from week to week.

Yes, I do it all the time, and as others say, not by choice. I'm 48 and a brown belt and in NAGA and other tournaments it is rare to have someone. Usually they'll throw me with 30 y/o olds but honestly, I never feel the difference between 30 or 25 y.o... they all are faster, have better cardio, etc... the only thing I have is my "wisdom" :) sometimes I win, sometimes get smashed, that's just the way it is .

I will say this, on those rare times I get to fight guys my age, it is EASY!!! that is a bonus.

Some older guys perfer adult because it give you more time to cook. Masters start to give less and less time.

Sorry not a native English speaker. What does "gives you more time to cook" means here ? Obviously it's not about food.

Sorry not a native English speaker. What does "gives you more time to cook" means here ? Obviously it's not about food.

He just means more time to work your moves and make progress in the match. Analogy is like cooking dinner over a few hours in a slow cooker, or throwing it in a frying pan and having it ready in 10 min.

It's also an analogy in the military. "Cooking off" a grenade (not recommended now) is pulling the pin and holding it for a few seconds before throwing it, after the spoon falls off - so your enemy has less time to react to it.

He just means more time to work your moves and make progress in the match. Analogy is like cooking dinner over a few hours in a slow cooker, or throwing it in a frying pan and having it ready in 10 min.

It's also an analogy in the military. "Cooking off" a grenade (not recommended now) is pulling the pin and holding it for a few seconds before throwing it, after the spoon falls off - so your enemy has less time to react to it.

Ok thanks. The duration time is shorter in masters ?

In fairness to Megaton, any version of him would be smashed by Miyao

Thanks bro

It's kind of a catch 22 (american slang for a "no win" situation) because the shorter match length is supposed to acknowledge that your gastank and cardio goes down as you age (I know this from firsthand experience), but you're also less explosive so might need or want more time to make progress in a match.

Back