Any sherdogger ever tried out Aikido?

At my college, Aikido was a PE 100 class. They would come in a few times a week immediately following wrestling practice. The class was filled with nerds and unathletic students save a few random guys who were in shape. Coach was the typical Aikido guy with full ponytail. Wrestlers could not stand them because if you wanted to come in late and train, you had 40 nerds taking up the mats and you couldnt just interrupt class.

One day we went out and saw the Aikido coach and started shooting the shit with him. My college team had about 7 guys with MMA fights. Instructor told us we should come check it out some day, open door. Well, one day we took him up on the offer.

We go in, he starts showing us a bunch of bullshit techniques we know wont work in a live situation. The guy is a great instructor though from a coaching perspective. We all kind of just go through the class knowing its mostly bullshit. One of my teammates asked if we could go live against students in the class and the instructor laughed and said something like "you know that will end up badly for these guys." At the end of class when everyone left, he told us we could come train whenever we wanted, and that Aikido was more of a hobby and a fun way to stay in shape and view health from a different view point than the guy who lifts weights or puts on running shoes. He said almost all of the moves wont work in a street fight, but training angles and distance will go a long way in avoiding a beat down and give you an advantage if you want to escape or engage. I really thought that made a lot of sense.

One thing I will say - He did introduce me to the mechanics of exactly how wristlocks work. I implemented a certain kind of wristlock on my 2 on 1 series in wrestling/BJJ that always illicits a reaction that gives me an opportunity to attack.

Holt- I'm guessing it's the goose neck? (Ikkyo) ?

I'll attack that if someone is lazy in a front headlock- occasionally get a tap, but will always get a reaction and room to pop head out.

Holt- I'm guessing it's the goose neck? (Ikkyo) ?

I'll attack that if someone is lazy in a front headlock- occasionally get a tap, but will always get a reaction and room to pop head out.
yes, gooseneck

I think it is useless but then I got subbed with a gooseneck wristlock thing the other day. I was laughing to myself.

Aikidio is fine, if you know what you are getting into.

You are learning an art form- essentially a dance. You are not learning anything with signficiant combat applications. The throws will not work in BJJ or Judo situations. the wrist locks will not work in self defense or street fight applications.

If you think it looks cool, and like being thrown / moving gracefully - there is nothing wrong with it. But to try to say it has any relation to real combat is simply wrong.

I study a form of stick fighting - a lot of what we do is not realistic for actual combat application.
But it is a cool as shit, I enjoy the combination possiblities and flow of it. So I train it because I enjoy it. But I know what and why I'm doing it.

What form do study? I practice Inosanta Blend Kali.

- how were the throws in comparison to Judo?
- did you learn any submissions - chokes, leg locks etc?
- did you have to wear a skirt in order to train?
- was it any fun?

- Its called a Hakama and they look very cool.
Geese Howard uses them!

latest

At my college, Aikido was a PE 100 class. They would come in a few times a week immediately following wrestling practice. The class was filled with nerds and unathletic students save a few random guys who were in shape. Coach was the typical Aikido guy with full ponytail. Wrestlers could not stand them because if you wanted to come in late and train, you had 40 nerds taking up the mats and you couldnt just interrupt class.

One day we went out and saw the Aikido coach and started shooting the shit with him. My college team had about 7 guys with MMA fights. Instructor told us we should come check it out some day, open door. Well, one day we took him up on the offer.

We go in, he starts showing us a bunch of bullshit techniques we know wont work in a live situation. The guy is a great instructor though from a coaching perspective. We all kind of just go through the class knowing its mostly bullshit. One of my teammates asked if we could go live against students in the class and the instructor laughed and said something like "you know that will end up badly for these guys." At the end of class when everyone left, he told us we could come train whenever we wanted, and that Aikido was more of a hobby and a fun way to stay in shape and view health from a different view point than the guy who lifts weights or puts on running shoes. He said almost all of the moves wont work in a street fight, but training angles and distance will go a long way in avoiding a beat down and give you an advantage if you want to escape or engage. I really thought that made a lot of sense.

One thing I will say - He did introduce me to the mechanics of exactly how wristlocks work. I implemented a certain kind of wristlock on my 2 on 1 series in wrestling/BJJ that always illicits a reaction that gives me an opportunity to attack.
I find this last part especially interesting. I'm sure many of us have heard the theory that aikido was supposed to be trained after becoming good at another art - although we never seem to see that now, only dudes training it from scratch.

You seem to have experienced what my understanding of aikido is. It has given you a trick to use with the skills you've already developed.

It has a defense against the cover of "Junkie" by William Burroughs, so it has to be legit. Or not.

19832781716.jpg

My dad is an aikido black belt. His wristlocks worked really well when I was really little and we play wrestled.

I'm pretty sure, as a Judo black belt, that I can use Aikido techniques. The problem with Aikido is like any other TMA in that you don't develop skill to apply the technique. Doing the basic form is 10% of the work, at best. So ironically you need to do Judo to learn Aikido <45>

If you can't spar for real without hurting each other, you either don't develop the skill or you have to be a psychopath.

The iriminage video posted above is just a clothesline. The real part of the technique is how to make someone walk into it, not the finish. If you can make someone walk into it, well you could do any grappling move not just Aikido.

But if you are just training to defend against some generic untrained attacked, sure Aikido can work. I'll still prefer Judo though since you get jacked strong from it as well.

@Doughbelly was a high lvl judoka who did aikido i japan and hapkido in korea before joining lions den with ken . His opinion of aikido is basically what you said, that it will be usefuk for a high lvl judoka because of the judokas physical attributes developing over the years.

Just one more observation abour aikido/hapkido (i trained bjj with high lvlaikidokas and hapkido people) that aikido suffers from the "living in the theory " disease. Most combat sports/martial artists know that it is not about an endless amount of counters or techniques but rather corralling your opponent to the techniques you want to get that kill.

Aikido ir seems is stuck on "lets see how many imaginary counters we can come up with" and alot of techniques reflect that. There are alot of simple throws and locks in aikido, that are judoesque. But it doesn't look fancy, so they star adding bullshit throws and locks that only works in theory. Or only works with some kind of physical phenom.

I got an opportunity to try a class about 2 years ago so I went for it. I had low expectations, and I was still surprised at how bad it was.

Lesson of the day was defending against a guy trying to karate chop our forehead. After some fancy move where he fell down on the ground by himself, I took side mount by reflex, only to be told not to do that by the professor because my opponent could "use my momentum against me and reverse me".

I came out of that aikido class knowing less about grappling than I did before I entered.

Spacetime invades the grappling forum with useless click bait threads.

U guys gotta see his gawd awful 40 second kicking clips over in striking.

Our #1 lovable troll muppet Spacetime, LOL!
iu

My advice would be that Aikido is not worth the time to explore if you are young enough and want effectiveness. My Aikido does help me but not in a way that I have some huge advantage over other brown belts.

I'm a third dan ex-instructor in Aikido and BJJ brown. This is very close to my experience. The body awareness and concepts I developed served me well in BJJ and allowed me to progress quickly, but I wouldn't advise anyone concerned with fighting skill pursue it as primary study.

Isn't Aikido banned from the UFC because it's so deadly?

Aikido is very good if you start it learning first.

Once you try boxing, wrestling, kick-boxing, judo, bjj, mma
no one will go back to aikido, i guess.

Back