Any sherdogger ever tried out Aikido?

Isn't Aikido banned from the UFC because it's so deadly?

Yes, UFC 0 was won by an Aikido guys, unfortunately he not killed all of his opponents but also the audience and everybody who watched the PPV and as such nobody remembers that event.

as long as it's not too LARPy and mystical i figure it's better than nothing, but Aikido is basically the weeb magnet of martial arts. the one time i ever visited an Aikido school it was basically an asperger's anonymous meeting where everybody was in ponytails and dresses and high as fuck off their bullshido fumes.

i'm ranked in Hapkido. it's the safest repertoire of techniques i have for someone I'm subduing and restraining. it's also just flashy enough that if you end up using it in public (used to bartend) bystanders won't get huffy the same way as if you double-legged them and took their back. Hapkido at full speed looks like movie shit and cop shit, so people tend to figure you know what the fuck you're doing and don't attempt to intervene.

i would fall back on grappling and muay thai with anyone significantly larger or stronger.

it's good shit though. Judo taught me to fall hard, but Hapkido taught me to fall weird.

and like Holt said, there are some wristlocks that work super well in context, especially if you're rolling with someone who likes to shit-talk the efficacy of TMA's they've never trained in.

as long as it's not too LARPy and mystical i figure it's better than nothing, but Aikido is basically the weeb magnet of martial arts. the one time i ever visited an Aikido school it was basically an asperger's anonymous meeting where everybody was in ponytails and dresses and high as fuck off their bullshido fumes.

i'm ranked in Hapkido. it's the safest repertoire of techniques i have for someone I'm subduing and restraining. it's also just flashy enough that if you end up using it in public (used to bartend) bystanders won't get huffy the same way as if you double-legged them and took their back. Hapkido at full speed looks like movie shit and cop shit, so people tend to figure you know what the fuck you're doing and don't attempt to intervene.

i would fall back on grappling and muay thai with anyone significantly larger or stronger.

it's good shit though. Judo taught me to fall hard, but Hapkido taught me to fall weird.

and like Holt said, there are some wristlocks that work super well in context, especially if you're rolling with someone who likes to shit-talk the efficacy of TMA's they've never trained in.

"better than nothing" is an argument i find debatable at times. there's nothing more pathetic than seeing a TMA school where the students and instructors aren't even in shape despite attending regularly.

"better than nothing" is an argument i find debatable at times. there's nothing more pathetic than seeing a TMA school where the students and instructors aren't even in shape despite attending regularly.
I think some people just like to feel like they are doing something different. They buy into the philosophy and yeah sure they are deluded, but they are harmless for the most part. That said, there is a TKD black belt at my office who is a bigger guy but overweight and always makes reference to beating people up or makes jokes about them having to fight him for the last donut or whatever. When I started here he was like "Oh I hear we have something in common..." In my head I was like bro - we have literally nothing in common. I asked him if he watches any sort of combat arts and he said no - I don't watch that crap. I knew right then he was one of those 2 year black belts that started becuase their kids started trianing and now he teaches 12 year olds and thinks he is a bad ass. Ohwell.

hey can i ask you something? I heard people who did both aikido and hapikdo that hapkid is a more agressive art, that it goes and attacks for the wristlock and hold rather than your opponent coming to you. Is this true?

it's a lot meaner. hapkido is based on circular motion, moving around your opponent, and redirecting their force/balance off of their own impetus.

you could definitely adapt a lot of techniques as attacks, but they're introduced and practiced as counters.

hey can i ask you something? I heard people who did both aikido and hapikdo that hapkid is a more agressive art, that it goes and attacks for the wristlock and hold rather than your opponent coming to you. Is this true?

i agree. at the same time, if the weebs can learn how to fall good and defend themselves while LARPing that's good enough for me. if they wanna delude themselves into thinking theyre deadly weapons, whatever. can't fix stupid.

anytime i meet an HKD zealot I encourage them to come to judo and try their hapkido on me full force.

since HKD is a hodgepodge you'll see different schools emphasize different techniques. lots of HKD schools are within TKD organizations, so they're a lot more kicky. my school is a lot more judoey.

when the koreans come over from the university, they're all super legit. everybody has a roundoff into a tuck, and most are also Dans in Judo and TKD too. they'll ham up the demo shit to where it's kinda corny, but IRL if they get your hand you might as well be fighting an alligator.

the ability to counter and throw someone off a joint lock takes thousands of hours to develop, and even then is context sensitive.

but like, here's a Chinese policewoman hitting a wave disarm with an otoshi finish

TemptingRecentAngora-size_restricted.gif

shit works. was that perfectly executed? no. perfect enough? yup.

Last edited:
I did some training of Aikido at the university and it's quiet interesting regarding the wrist locks and the irimi concept. Unfortunately the notion of practice is diluted by the "peaceful" mindset and I don't see the utility unless the practicionner has a brawling mindset and experience and manage to fit Aikido.
I'd rather like to try the ancestor of Aikido which is the Daito Aikijutsu where Aikido and Hapkido are originated (the Hapkido from Jin Han Hae blended the original Aikijutsu style learned from the korean Choi (who was a student of Takeda Sokaku) with the kicking and punches techniques of Taekkyon). I saw the Hakko jujutsu which seems to be a direct descendant of the Daito Aikijutsu.

Last edited:
actually aikijujutsu was first but aikido is alot closer to the real aikijujutsu in fact all the moves from aiki jj are the same and some styles of aikido vary as far as training and techniques but the main differences as i study both is the added tkd to aiki jj id have to agree that hopkido is a much more complete art unless your doing yosiekan shotokan or tenshin and some aikikia styles and aikido also trains in various weaponry so might some hopkido but its all about the teacher if there is judo or no gi bjj id do that for grappling if you want a striking art do MT or KB or western style boxing hopkido if taught right is a very complete art imho though here is a good quote Wael Abdelgawad, Lifelong martial artist with black belts in Hapkido, Japanese Jujitsu & Karate. Almost any martial art will be effective for self-defense if you study it diligently. ... Overall, Hapkido is a good choice, and that comes from someone with black belts in multiple arts

i agree. at the same time, if the weebs can learn how to fall good and defend themselves while LARPing that's good enough for me. if they wanna delude themselves into thinking theyre deadly weapons, whatever. can't fix stupid.

anytime i meet an HKD zealot I encourage them to come to judo and try their hapkido on me full force.

since HKD is a hodgepodge you'll see different schools emphasize different techniques. lots of HKD schools are within TKD organizations, so they're a lot more kicky. my school is a lot more judoey.

when the koreans come over from the university, they're all super legit. everybody has a roundoff into a tuck, and most are also Dans in Judo and TKD too. they'll ham up the demo shit to where it's kinda corny, but IRL if they get your hand you might as well be fighting an alligator.

the ability to counter and throw someone off a joint lock takes thousands of hours to develop, and even then is context sensitive.

but like, here's a Chinese policewoman hitting a wave disarm with an otoshi finish

TemptingRecentAngora-size_restricted.gif

shit works. was that perfectly executed? no. perfect enough? yup.
I leaning towards the Chinese cop is trained in chin na .

Who is his bb under? I heard and read Ueshiba frequented Hawaii as well as Koichi Tohei.

I'm pretty sure, as a Judo black belt, that I can use Aikido techniques. The problem with Aikido is like any other TMA in that you don't develop skill to apply the technique. Doing the basic form is 10% of the work, at best. So ironically you need to do Judo to learn Aikido <45>

If you can't spar for real without hurting each other, you either don't develop the skill or you have to be a psychopath.

The iriminage video posted above is just a clothesline. The real part of the technique is how to make someone walk into it, not the finish. If you can make someone walk into it, well you could do any grappling move not just Aikido.

But if you are just training to defend against some generic untrained attacked, sure Aikido can work. I'll still prefer Judo though since you get jacked strong from it as well.

I agree with you.

Rogan exposed Aikido

No one thinks its legit anymore

I did Akibudo a long while back, pre UFC. I think it’s closely related. It was awful.

Aikido and BJJ is relatively lucrative for upper middle class office workers and businessmans that don't like punches and kicks, thinks that Judo don't work etc.
How long it takes to get bb in Aikido? I mean, if your aim is later earn as trainer clients will ask belt to show, that's reason why I ask.
Is grading for Kyu ranks expensive?

Did any of you American Judo knuckleheads ever train with real Japanese lineage?
Judo and Aikido have close family ties from any authentic source.

WELP

That's right this is first and for most a MMA forum.
To learn "effective" Aikido you have to go through Judo first!
This last weekend
66232118_10158461756292506_3874471696865951744_n.jpg

Does many dojos in US teach Judo as it was at least 60 years ago or only tecniques allowed by modern IJF rules for Judo tournaments?

I'm a bit interested about seminars pricing to compare US with europe.

Lot of hating in this thread and I agree Aikido isn't very useful without a foundation in grappling, but some of the principles are very applicable. In college I took a 4-month LE module that was taught by an Aikido instructor who was also an LAPD instructor and a purple under Rigan Machado. I sat in on a few of his "pure" Aikido classes and they were the kind of crap described ITT. But the LE class was a mix of Aikido, Muay Thai, Judo and BJJ. As has been described elsewhere, he taught Aikido wrist locks as an intermediate range between striking, and before or transitioning into Judo throws before finishing on the ground with BJJ.

Off the top of my head (this was early 90's) some practical Aikido concepts he taught were how to get under opponent's center of gravity for a throw, engaging hips for greater leverage in strikes and throws, hand trap into a "reaper" (modified o soto gari for LE), and a series of wristlock come-alongs, the most practical of which I recall being the (mentioned earlier ITT) gooseneck hold behind other guy's back. The wristlocks I can see being spot on for LEOs who because of optics, can't just double leg a suspect and GnP him into submission.

Before you say this guy was living in fantasy land, there were many LAPD officers that sat in on his classes, and attested to using his stuff on the street.

The instructor wasn't the stereotypical Aikido nerd either. He was a former weightlifter who admitted to the class his past steroid use, talked up the benefits of strength training and how it could make Aikido (or any technique) more effective, and encouraged students to go down the street to train at Rigan's school to round out their ground game.

Last edited:
i deleted my last post because I've thought about it and decided to change my stance, and want to share why:

Aikido/Hapkido aren't taught as combat sports. There's combat Hapkido but it's basically Taekwonjudo.

i was wrong to point out the dearth of practitioners in MMA - arresting people isn't the point of MMA.

i have and will continue to defend the techniques themselves. size, strength, and practice can make a whole lot of *impractical* things super practical. i've personally used Hapkido techniques several times to subdue unruly individuals and can think of at least six active LEOs in the state with HKD black belts.

all of the budo schools work. shit's been around for ages.

fun fact: shackles are heavy and cumbersome, and proper jails require all sorts of labor to build. it was a lot easier to just tie somebody up reeaaaalllly well without cutting off their circulation. Hojojutsu is a thing, and has many schools.

3 years ago I have a neighbor that owns an aikido dojo. Let's just say he closed it down few months later after we had a friendly grappling match. He's now a BJJ blue belt and trains 5 times a week.

Back