Anyone currently doing a [Push|Pull|Legs] split?

No, that’s correct. Your ribosomes only work three 12hr shifts every week.
Hey, I prefaced it with the possibility of broscience. That's what's usually brought up when people compare bro splits to full body 3 day a week or other higher frequency programs.

That's what's usually brought up when people compare bro splits to full body 3 day a week or other higher frequency programs.

I have never seen this in 12 years of being on lifting forums.

There are different types of proteins with various integral functions inside your body. Antibodies, insulin, enzymes, etc, etc.

Protein isn’t just “lol get jakt after you crush biceps bro.”

I have never seen this in 12 years of being on lifting forums.

There are different types of proteins with various integral functions inside your body. Antibodies, insulin, enzymes, etc, etc.

Protein isn’t just “lol get jakt after you crush biceps bro.”
Its rampant In youtube fitness which is full of disinformation.

Do you have no interest in taking 5-10 minutes to research/verify things for yourself?
No, I grow just looking at weights so I never cared about nutrition and the like. Plus I trust you, Jim. You're a knowledgeable dude.

I did a routine like that when I was in my early 20s and was pushing around event weight with it, but I was also in my early 20s. Not sure if I’d do the same thing nowadays between being 36 and am in genera more physically busy.

Might be bro science but isnt protein synthesis only happening up to 36 hours after a workout? More frequency=more gains. Also any good program has you doing lifts more than once a week. Except 5 3 1.

Sure, but if you're doing squats and deadlifts in the same week, you're essentially hitting most of the same muscle groups twice already. I do my squats on Friday and by Tuesday my legs and hamstrings are just recovering enough to deadlift without issue. Then I have until Friday again to thit them again.

Increasing frequency might work for some, but I've found that extra day doesn't really do much more for my lifts. I'm not going to fix something that isn't broken in my own program. If I'm adding reps and pounds each week still then I'm doing alright. If I increase frequency I'm either doing more pressing days, which I don't really need for shoulder health or I'm overtaxing my lower back and hips. Plus I use that extra time for cardio and other GPP stuff.

Sure, but if you're doing squats and deadlifts in the same week, you're essentially hitting most of the same muscle groups twice already. I do my squats on Friday and by Tuesday my legs and hamstrings are just recovering enough to deadlift without issue. Then I have until Friday again to thit them again.

Increasing frequency might work for some, but I've found that extra day doesn't really do much more for my lifts. I'm not going to fix something that isn't broken in my own program. If I'm adding reps and pounds each week still then I'm doing alright. If I increase frequency I'm either doing more pressing days, which I don't really need for shoulder health or I'm overtaxing my lower back and hips. Plus I use that extra time for cardio and other GPP stuff.
That is really low frequency. Starting strength even has more squat/deadlift frequency. You need 3 full days of rest between squatting and deadlifting? I usually have 2 sbd days, 1 sb, and 1 bench only day in a week of training. And I know plenty of people who do more than me.

Last edited:
I usually have 2 sbd days, 1 sb, and 1 bench only day in a week of training. And I know plenty of people who do more than me.
Same here, except only benching 3x per week. The program I"m doing right now has 2 SBD days and 1 SB day, however I often can't even finish a SBD sessions so in those cases I have to split up those workouts. Not ideal, but it is what it is. Really enjoying this program. Has a lot of top singles @ RPE 8 or 9 and then a lot of volume work in the 4-6 rep range usually. I agree that a lot of programs and coaches have people squatting 3x per week, deadlifting 2x per week and benching 3-4x per week.

That is really low frequency. Starting strength even has more squat/deadlift frequency. You need 3 full days of rest between squatting and deadlifting? I usually have 2 sbd days, 1 sb, and 1 bench only day in a week of training. And I know plenty of people who do more than me.

Starting strength is also a beginners program where people are weak enough to recover in a couple days and add weight to the bar each session. I need three full days between squatting and deadlifting. Really it's to give my lower back time to recover. Otherwise I start getting really sore and I never feel fresh. I want to feel fresh when I come into a workout session. I'm not a dedicated powerlifter for one. I do other activities and I don't want to be burned out all the time, so I'm not maximizing my lifting just for the sake of lifting. I fit in cardio and sports into that equation. I've done 4x a week workouts and I've done 3x a week workouts, and 3x a week seems to work best for me at the intensity I'm working out in. I'm still getting weekly gains in reps or lbs without failing or stalling for now, so I'm not going to change what's working. If I get to a point where I'm no longer progressing on my lifts, I'll consider changing my program. I'm not going to fix what's not broken though.

And yes, many people use different frequencies and intensities with different results. For various factors, people will have different results from different programs. My body seems to respond best to once a week frequency at very high intensities with back off sets for moderate reps. That's given me the best results.

Starting strength is also a beginners program where people are weak enough to recover in a couple days and add weight to the bar each session. I need three full days between squatting and deadlifting. Really it's to give my lower back time to recover. Otherwise I start getting really sore and I never feel fresh. I want to feel fresh when I come into a workout session. I'm not a dedicated powerlifter for one. I do other activities and I don't want to be burned out all the time, so I'm not maximizing my lifting just for the sake of lifting. I fit in cardio and sports into that equation. I've done 4x a week workouts and I've done 3x a week workouts, and 3x a week seems to work best for me at the intensity I'm working out in. I'm still getting weekly gains in reps or lbs without failing or stalling for now, so I'm not going to change what's working. If I get to a point where I'm no longer progressing on my lifts, I'll consider changing my program. I'm not going to fix what's not broken though.

And yes, many people use different frequencies and intensities with different results. For various factors, people will have different results from different programs. My body seems to respond best to once a week frequency at very high intensities with back off sets for moderate reps. That's given me the best results.
You have a very low work capacity.

You have a very low work capacity.

I guess, but I'm also spending about an hour on each lift working up in a pyramid and back down. My last squat session went like this...

135 x8
185 x5
225 x5
275 x5
315 x5
365 x5
405 x5
450 x2
450 x2
455 AMRAP
405 AMRAP
315 AMRAP

I wouldn't say I have a low work capacity. I just enjoy nice recovery times. If I needed to fit more in the week, I'm sure I could build up to that, but I don't see what value I would have in doing that. That's one less day training another energy system and more time I spend recovering from big weights.

IMO, building work capacity is probably one of the most important things for someone heading into intermediate/advance. I would not expect beginners to recover near as quickly.

IMO, building work capacity is probably one of the most important things for someone heading into intermediate/advance. I would not expect beginners to recover near as quickly.

The defining characteristic of a beginner is someone who can recover and adapt in a linear progression on each workout session. A beginner will be able to workout 3x a week and hit 3 new PRs.

Now that said, my accessory work is aimed at my weak points on the lifts. So I'm doing pulling work 3x a week in various forms. High rows one day. Weighted pullups another day. Low rows another day. I'm pressing twice a week because I'm hitting standing press on deadlift day. So it's more of a 3x a week full body with one big lift each session than something split up targeting a muscle group once a week. There's no muscle group in my program that's not getting hit multiple times a week in some variation. I just do the big lifts once each week.

Last edited:
I guess, but I'm also spending about an hour on each lift working up in a pyramid and back down. My last squat session went like this...

135 x8
185 x5
225 x5
275 x5
315 x5
365 x5
405 x5
450 x2
450 x2
455 AMRAP
405 AMRAP
315 AMRAP

I wouldn't say I have a low work capacity. I just enjoy nice recovery times. If I needed to fit more in the week, I'm sure I could build up to that, but I don't see what value I would have in doing that. That's one less day training another energy system and more time I spend recovering from big weights.
What's with all the amraps?

135 x8
185 x5
225 x5
275 x5
315 x5
365 x5
405 x5
450 x2
450 x2
455 AMRAP
405 AMRAP
315 AMRAP

Wow. No wonder you can only do the big lifts once per week if this is your programming lol.

What's with all the amraps?

Well the first AMRAP is really a max effort double/triple depending on how I'm feeling. If I hit more than 3 reps then next week I increase the weight. The other two back off sets are for volume work.

Wow. No wonder you can only do the big lifts once per week if this is your programming lol.

I would say that everything up until the doubles is just warm up sets. So it's really only 3 ramping working sets and 2 back off sets at AMRAP for some volume work.

I would say that everything up until the doubles is just warm up sets. So it's really only 3 ramping working sets and 2 back off sets at AMRAP for some volume work.

Warmup sets still count as volume and contribute to fatigue.

Why is your heaviest set of the day an AMRAP? How do you progress?

You need more recovery time between squats and deadlifts and feel like you can’t train the main lifts more than 1x/week because your programming is terrible.

Back