Anyone play Battle Tech, Magic, or Warhammer 40K?

Grassshoppa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone play Battle Tech the board game? Magic the Gathering? Warhammer 40k? Looking for additional games for my son and I to play. I played Battle Tech the board game as a kid and loved it. Anyone play it?

Don't know anything about MTG or Warhammer 40K. Anyone play? Summary of what it is and how to play?

Anyone play Battle Tech the board game? Magic the Gathering? Warhammer 40k? Looking for additional games for my son and I to play. I played Battle Tech the board game as a kid and loved it. Anyone play it?

Don't know anything about MTG or Warhammer 40K. Anyone play? Summary of what it is and how to play?

Yes. But what is it you want to know exactly? We used to play Battletech all the time, painted up the minis and everything. Theres a new edition that came out a few years ago.

MTG is a trading card game. You buy cards in packs like baseball cards. There's creatures, spells, etc. Generally speaking, the power and utility is directly related to how rare the card is. The more rare it is, the more valuable it is. So its a fun game, and a lot of strategy and synergy, but it has a significant cost investment.

40K has a bunch of different stuff. Just straight WH40K is a really deep, tactical turn based game. Diffent armies have different abilities, troops, vehicles, etc. With over 20 different armies, thats a pretty insane amount of variety. Again, not a cheap game to commit to, but theres also tons of WH40 board games that you can get that have similar flavor but are generally not as deep and dont require as much time and financial commitment. If its just you and your son, I cant recommend Space hulk enough. Its basically the perfect two player game. Has plenty of WH40k flavor with an obvious vibe off the Aliens movie.

Last edited:
I played warhammer fantasy back in the day. It was actually a much better game than 40k. Sadly, it doesn’t exist anymore :/

Don’t play any table top games these days

I keep reinstalling magic with the intention to learn it but have never gotten around to it. I used to think the Warhammer figures were cool when I was a kid but never got into the actual game. I remember making my own board or playing on open territory in my room bu the economics behind actually participating always put me off. Also, getting people to play in my area was a pain in the ass. Rural Ireland is something people in Arkansas would make jokes out of.

Magic Arena is the shit but unfortunately my Laptop can't run it so I have to stick to watching videos on it. Great game though. I prefer the digital version as opposed to the paper version now. Paper gets to expensive and bulky.

LegenVD is my fave Magic Arena streamer. He is a very good player but explains all his steps eloquently and plans like 2 steps ahead and explains why. Also his knowledge of all the mechanics and just the cards in general is amazing.

At the time of this post this is his most recent video. If you learned the basics (tapping mana, what is the difference between a Sorcery and Instant, how to cast spells, the 5 main colors archtypes, etc.) then start watching this guy if you want to get really good at Magic The Gathering.

Last edited:
40k. But haven’t been able to play much. Need to find games at my local stores for Kill Team.
3D printer has been an awesome addition. Can print all kinds of custom accessories for my minis, or outright print them.

Back