aqua bags

I got the orange buoy in @Woldog's picture (ie the Polyform A5).
It's 27 inches in diameter by 36 inches tall.
I can't remember how many gallons of water that works out to, but it was supposed to be over 400lbs filled.
Hanging it was tough.
I bought some 6" by 8" lumber to straddle across 2 ceiling beams and hang the bag mount.
I secured this makeshift joist with extra strength zip ties and some L brackets.
The mount itself was an 1800lb capacity swing hanger.
To extend down from the mount I got 1200lb-rated M8 steel carabiners.
I also tried a hammock chair spring rated to 660lbs, but that actually stretched out pretty quick.
Finally, I got a 1inch, 8.5 ton rated Titan Bow Type Anchor Shackle (nothing else would fit the hole in the buoy).

I had some painful lessons learned in this one:
1. make sure you get a gas siphon pump in case you need to empty water
2. do NOT fill more than half way, the buoy will stretch a lot if you do (especially the mounting hole). i imagine it will eventually break.
3. it's better to hang it higher than you would initially guess
4. related to #3, punching on the top half of the buoy will likely lead to wrist injuries

After all the work & expense in hanging it, I gave up on it after I realized that punching it was just not an enjoyable experience.
The roundness of the buoy meant that i was constantly worried about hitting at a bad angle and snapping my wrist.
It was so wide, that I had to flair my hooks if I didn't park myself outside the bag.
In the end, I went with a 5' 150lb bag from Pro Boxing Equipment and have not regretted that choice for a minute.
Have you got a pic of the aqua bag set up just for laughs

One you chaps might be able to answer...maybe.
Super lockdown in UK so can't get to the gym hence why I've attempted to knock up this aquabag.

What are aqua bags like for breaking in new gloves? I've got a few pairs what I got last year that still need to be broken in.

@Kendodsworth - at first glance that all looks good. I know i had some issues sorting out working load limit (wll) or safe working load (swl) vs maximal or breaking load. I imagine if you're working with less than 100kg, you should be fine. Some water bags work better when they're not 100% filled too.

Have you got a pic of the aqua bag set up just for laughs
xglhac6.jpg

W5J5jah.jpg

ojNKutO.jpg

One you chaps might be able to answer...maybe.
Super lockdown in UK so can't get to the gym hence why I've attempted to knock up this aquabag.

What are aqua bags like for breaking in new gloves? I've got a few pairs what I got last year that still need to be broken in.
So from my experience, there's not much fist impact with aqua bags. I feel it more in my shoulders. Your experience might be different, but I didn't find the impact quite enough to do a good job of breaking in gloves.

@Kendodsworth - at first glance that all looks good. I know i had some issues sorting out working load limit (wll) or safe working load (swl) vs maximal or breaking load. I imagine if you're working with less than 100kg, you should be fine. Some water bags work better when they're not 100% filled too.

Oh yes well within the safe working load, looking at about 50kg maximum I recon with an A3.

Looks great did you get someone to make the bracket as I like how your attach the chain

Yeah it was already pre-made got it off Ebay but I'm sure they'd be metal working shop of fabrication shop nearby which would knock it up fairly cheap.

I just wanted to avoid loads of quicklinks because I'd have to put the bracket even higher

I just bought a "Bruiser Aqua Bag" off ebay.
Wanted a Bob for years but they are so expensive one of these came up used and figured its a good halfway between that and a heavy bag. Used standard aqua bags before and rate them, feels more realistic and less stressful for the joints imo.

Once I've got it and worked out how to hang it properly (its 160lbs full) I'll post some pics.

So from my experience, there's not much fist impact with aqua bags. I feel it more in my shoulders. Your experience might be different, but I didn't find the impact quite enough to do a good job of breaking in gloves.
Was it much easier on your hands and wrists as well? That's actually the main reason I want to get one, my left wrist is messed up

I got the orange buoy in @Woldog's picture (ie the Polyform A5).
It's 27 inches in diameter by 36 inches tall.
I can't remember how many gallons of water that works out to, but it was supposed to be over 400lbs filled.
Hanging it was tough.
I bought some 6" by 8" lumber to straddle across 2 ceiling beams and hang the bag mount.
I secured this makeshift joist with extra strength zip ties and some L brackets.
The mount itself was an 1800lb capacity swing hanger.
To extend down from the mount I got 1200lb-rated M8 steel carabiners.
I also tried a hammock chair spring rated to 660lbs, but that actually stretched out pretty quick.
Finally, I got a 1inch, 8.5 ton rated Titan Bow Type Anchor Shackle (nothing else would fit the hole in the buoy).

I had some painful lessons learned in this one:
1. make sure you get a gas siphon pump in case you need to empty water
2. do NOT fill more than half way, the buoy will stretch a lot if you do (especially the mounting hole). i imagine it will eventually break.
3. it's better to hang it higher than you would initially guess
4. related to #3, punching on the top half of the buoy will likely lead to wrist injuries

After all the work & expense in hanging it, I gave up on it after I realized that punching it was just not an enjoyable experience.
The roundness of the buoy meant that i was constantly worried about hitting at a bad angle and snapping my wrist.
It was so wide, that I had to flair my hooks if I didn't park myself outside the bag.
In the end, I went with a 5' 150lb bag from Pro Boxing Equipment and have not regretted that choice for a minute.

The one I used was nowhere near as big as that hahaha.

But Mine also didn't stretch at all. The rubber was super thick and had barely any give in it.
But mine was roughly 2x the size of a human head.

Mounting mine consisted of buying a chain and a ubolt, putting it through the hole, buying some rope and tying it to the chain and tying it to a cross beam in my shed.

Was it much easier on your hands and wrists as well? That's actually the main reason I want to get one, my left wrist is messed up
Sorry for late reply.

It was much harder on my wrists & shoulders. It was nice on my knuckles. I hated it because it was curved, so unless i punched the bottom half of the bag i was going to roll my wrist. I've never had serious shoulder problems, but i would definitely feel it a lot more in my shoulders after a workout. On the other hand, it was so nice on the knuckles that I felt like my gloves were barely even breaking in.

Back