AR-15 bros

kahiljabroni

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy but don't know where to begin. Probably don't want to spend more than a grand. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm in New York state unfortunately do there's restrictions. Also, is the ammo readily available for them?

I had a Smith and Wesson M&P15. Paid $620 for it and it was a great target shooter.

.223 ammo is always readily available it seems. Just don't shoot steel cased rounds through it.

Are 6920s, the base model, still under $1000? Cause that's basically the same stuff the military gets just without the third pin.

I had a Smith and Wesson M&P15. Paid $620 for it and it was a great target shooter.

.223 ammo is always readily available it seems. Just don't shoot steel cased rounds through it.

I've struggled to find 5.56 or .223 the last month or so.

I'm looking to buy but don't know where to begin. Probably don't want to spend more than a grand. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm in New York state unfortunately do there's restrictions. Also, is the ammo readily available for them?

Ammo is available but it is very expensive, being in New York I have no idea what is or isn't legal.

Is that $1000 just for the rifle or does that include optics, mags, other accessories, ammo, etc?

Are 6920s, the base model, still under $1000? Cause that's basically the same stuff the military gets just without the third pin.

I've struggled to find 5.56 or .223 the last month or so.

Wolf ammo was great for my AK. I shot the shittiest ammo money could buy through it and had zero jams. I made the mistake of putting steel cased ammo in my AR and I jammed about 15 rounds in. Never again.

Wolf ammo was great for my AK. I shot the shittiest ammo money could buy through it and had zero jams. I made the mistake of putting steel cased ammo in my AR and I jammed about 15 rounds in. Never again.
I've never had an issue so maybe I'm just lucky.

TBF I always used a specific version of wolf though, the stuff that DOESN'T have the polycarbonate coating. And avoided Silver Bear like the fucking plague. Communist trash.

If I had the money I would be the AR version of Brandon Herrera (I know I know DemoRanch exists but he doesn't try to fuck up his guns, I would).

Take a look at the Ruger mini 14, especially in restricted states. Same ammo, semi automatic and doesn’t attract the attention of the evil black rifles. Wyndham weapons makes a nice AR and they’re in the north east, give them a look.

Steel case ammo is fine.
Being a NATO round, 5.56 and .223 will always be available. Though right now it's near impossible to find, and what is out there is about double in price from last year. But manufacturers will be catching up on production in the coming months, hopefully.
There are plenty of <$1000 ARs out there, and they'll all serve their purpose. They're "battle" rifles, not hunting rifles, so things like the trigger and such aren't the greatest. But you can buy aftermarket everything for them.

Ammo is available but it is very expensive, being in New York I have no idea what is or isn't legal.

Is that $1000 just for the rifle or does that include optics, mags, other accessories, ammo, etc?

The 1000 was overall but i could go higher if it was worth it. Im buying it strictly for home defense and recreational shooting....probably twice a year. So I don't need the greatest or newest tech but I do want quality.

How much per round would u say?

The 1000 was overall but i could go higher if it was worth it. Im buying it strictly for home defense and recreational shooting....probably twice a year. So I don't need the greatest or newest tech but I do want quality.

It used to be like 25 cents a round if not less if you went bargin bin diving. Not sure on average price now.

If you're willing to go over $1000
https://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/bcm-reg-m4-mod-0-carbine/

Sadly not in stock right now though. See what your local shop has (not Cabela's or BassPro or Sportsman but the shop that has like 2 locations max and both are in your county) to see what's on the used shelf.

I can't even recommend a model because I think you have to get some featureless abomination.

I'd recommend going to a gun store and talking to the guys about what semi auto rifle options are available. Depending on the AR features you are or aren't allowed to have, something like a fightlite scr or mini 14 may be better.

You'd be lucky to buy online for .65 ish. Readily available online is more in the .80+.

But I recommend going to a store and talking about your options.

I can suggest optics, accessories, home defense ammo, etc.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato

Oh Jesus fuck TS is in NY. Ignore everything I said and try to find a Mini14.

But I recommend going to a store and talking about your options.

I can suggest optics, accessories, home defense ammo, etc.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato

Roger that, thanks. I actually have a great local store couple miles away. I bought a 12 gauge from them earlier in the year. They are definitely very known on ny restriction. I remember seeing a big variety of different looking and priced ARs. Ill see what they have for options and report back

There's a good chance they'll have nothing in stock, and won't be able to give you a time frame when they may get one in. A buddy and I bought the last two my local shop had in stock, this was last June I think. Since then it's been rare they get another in, other than in .22 LR.
I was barely even to buy my son a 20 gauge semi-auto for his birthday back in Oct. We went through all of their suppliers and they had nothing in stock. Just happened to talk to one supplier that had one sitting around not in inventory.

If you want AR modularity without restriction. Try a Fightlite SCR. You can use AR uppers and mags with a traditional legal stock.

Some other avenues you can pursue......

Springfield M1A - .308 rifle round. A heavy hitter indeed and the rifle the M16 replaced in the military. Expensive.

Ruger Mini 14 - The baby version of the M1A

Ruger PC Carbine - 9mm rifle that has .357 velocity and takes Glock mags. Wish I never sold mine. Prices just keep going up on these, but affordable.

An Ar15 with a Thorsden Stock if you can find one....
fb1e2859693ba15ee437d97658b70566.jpg

Any Fixed Magazine AR15 is NYS compliant. You just need to buy a specialized speed loader from Mean Arms or Bear Defense. It's what some guys here in CT were doing before we won the right to build "Other" rifles.

Stay Away from Franklin Armory. That's a shit ton of money for a rimfire rifle. I wouldn't want to be shot with a 17 win mag, but still.......

sup, stonksbrah!

i truly don't mean this to sound elitist/snobby/closed-minded, but seriously... if you have any desire to have ar15s/etc, gtfo of ny. the gun laws are atrocious.

and then get a pws. https://www.primaryweapons.com/ because ar15s are all at inflated prices, anyway.

but you could get a ~typical ar15 (ie: palmetto, anderson, whatever) for ~$800 (and probably in the 650 range if you look for deals*), but you'd then need to have it neutered before you could pick it up if it's not already.

i'd recommend keeping an eye on/signing up for emails from aimsurplus, palmetto, and primary arms (especially for optics/accessories)

* https://aimsurplus.com/radical-firearms-223-5-56x45-socom-b5-m-lok-rifle/ - this was in their 1/8 email and was $659.

for low/mid tier ar15s, honestly, as long as their mil-spec, they're pretty much all the same now, configurations aside.

and fuck. i always forget that this subforum exists.

Back