Are airsoft guns with the weight and feel of a real gun useful to...

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So a marine vet who was a Sargeant in the Marines before he got medically discharged told me that airsoft guns are good for learning how to use real firearms.

So i know people on here are more into real guns than airsoft, i actually am training for something specific. And my parents are Sunni Muslim or whatever you want to call it, so they don't allow guns in the house. I'm planning on moving out after my 1st or 2nd semester of college and i start college on June 10th to a different state. So i want to hear your oppinions on this.

Personally if an airsoft gun has the weight and the feel of a real gun than i think so.

For gun handling, mag changes, drawing etc, probably as long as you transition to a like real model.

RECOIL is not the same unless you shooting a 38 super or 9mm full on race gun.

My opinion.

For gun handling, mag changes, drawing etc, probably as long as you transition to a like real model.

RECOIL is not the same unless you shooting a 38 super or 9mm full on race gun.

My opinion.
Add trigger feel to that; seldom do airsoft triggers feel like their gunpowder counterparts, if that's important to you.

I'm all for supplementary training aids like laser cartridges and .22LR conversions, as long as it doesn't actually replace live fire with full power ammunition.

They are indeed useful for overall handling.

Overall safety (muzzle discipline, finger off trigger, etc..)

Drawing from a holster

Press outs

First shot

Working on angles and tactics clearing your house

Etc...

Make sure you treat it like a REAL gun though. This is important so that you don’t form unsafe habits with it later, with real ones.

Recoil will not be the same even if compare with 22.LR handgun. Not at all.
Aiming of course can be trained etc stuff.
For self defense, if you have licence, before buying visit shoting range and check up difference for example 38.Sp with 357 , recoil will be quite:D different.

Target shotting for competitive sports training with air(hand)guns usually is trained and done with compressed air ( PCP ) pistols with pellets ( 0.177) not BB...

Last edited:
Yes and no. It might be slightly better than dry firing. So yes there are benefits as pointed out by 00 buck and chesten.

As jlagman pointed out the trigger won't be the same but you can still practice dry firing and trigger discipline.

As far as firing it the only thing will be the draw press out and first shot, again previously said by 00 buck. The recoil, impulse and everything else is so much different it will not help at all imo.

Honestly it's best if i don't tell you, because i don't like to jinx myself. It's nothing bad though.

hello-fbi.jpg

Back