International Are the people of Afghanistan relieved that the US is gone and being replaced by the Taliban?

I assume most men are in favor and woman under 30 are not.
Women under 30 who live in cities and have access to social media is probably a better qualifier.

not saying that countryside women (who are the majority of Afghan women) like all aspects of Afghan/Taliban culture like the beekeeper suits but they’re probably more interested in stability so that they can get married and have kids

Women under 30 who live in cities and have access to social media is probably a better qualifier.

not saying that countryside women (who are the majority of Afghan women) like all aspects of Afghan/Taliban culture like the beekeeper suits but they’re probably more interested in stability so that they can get married and have kids

You may be right my friend.
It's just hard to imagine someone like my daughter who is on social media, bowing down. a lot of young woman who have access to social media in that area will not accept it.

The people residing in the major cities that were watched over by U.S. government, are probably scared shitless. The people living in rural lands where Taliban basically always reigned, probably couldn't care less. It makes no difference to them.
No, there's a huge difference because it was in those rural lands were the most intense fighting occurred. So those rural Afghans were being ground into powder by the conflict between the US' Afghan clients and the Taliban. Weddings bombed only for the funeral for those who died at said wedding to be bombed as well.

The Taliban are trash even by Islamist standards, which is saying something given how low those standards are, but in general its better to live under stable tyranny than under constant civil strife.
It's still important to promote women's rights in countries that don't have them. That said, it should be separate from imperialism.
Promoting women's rights is good but you have to be reasonable about it and I am not sure that all the US' initiatives towards that end made sense.

Promoting family planning and access to contraceptive is a basic thing that makes a massive difference in the lives of the average woman. Empowering some elite women to represent provinces they've never been to is silly though.

I bet they will miss randomly losing family and friends on drone strikes.

No, there's a huge difference because it was in those rural lands were the most intense fighting occurred. So those rural Afghans were being ground into powder by the conflict between the US' Afghan clients and the Taliban. Weddings bombed only for the funeral for those who died at said wedding to be bombed as well.

The Taliban are trash even by Islamist standards, which is saying something given how low those standards are, but in general its better to live under stable tyranny than under constant civil strife.

I'm saying it makes no difference from the point of view that things are going to get worse under Taliban. The Taliban have always wielded power in those regions, now the people living there just don't have to deal with the fighting between the US and the Taliban, so in that sense things will actually get better there, as you said.

But as far as the big cities go, Kabul certainly, there are a lot of people who probably got used to things as they were under the watch of U.S. government. I have a feeling that Taliban rule won't be that stable for long because they will over-play their hand, and find out that a lot of Afghans these days might not be that willing to live under theocracy. Either they find a way to address the concerns of city folk, or they'll go down as just another regime of zealots that was eventually removed at a further point in time.

most are for sure, some hate it and will die.
the idea that the majority of population hates the taliban and wish the foreign occupation to continue is a western pipe dream. it's the "we liberate them and they will rise up for us" of afghanistan. for a country that has killed brown people in the middle east and muslim world in general for almost 30 years, america is unfathomably clueless about this world. doesn't know, doesn't want to know, and at the end it is content to just manufacture a self-serving narrative and forget about the whole thing. a shameful experience tbh.

Yes, the majority prefers the Taliban and I don't think it's even close. You can't retake an entire country so fast without the help and support of its people. That's impossible...

You could maybe argue that the majority of women aren't happy about that, but even this is unclear. In my opinion we would be surprised by the amount of afghan mothers who want to see their daughters married to a good Muslim as fast as possible. They don't want them to dress and live like "western whores".
The only options for women are definitely Western whore or married to a good Muslim as fast as possible. No in between at all.

Back