Are us TUF noobs now the seasoned longtime MMA fans?

My first ppv was Tito vs Ken Shamrock 1 in middle school or something ... Damn feels old

Relatively speaking, yes.

But most of you are still lost on a lot of things that happened prior, especially outside of the UFC.

If yer a good teacher at introducing people to MMA, and they are noobs after more than a year, then failed you have. We started with VHS bootlegs in the late 90's, but no one gave a shit (outside of our small group) until TUF. The rare people knew of Chuck/Ortiz and that was about all.

It was until I was sitting in chat playing fucking WoW (yup, also how i met my mrs) in 2006, and it lit up with "holy shit are you watching this" -- regarding the Forrest/Bonnar fight. Was reading here (lurking) and others for years, but I finally was like... VINDICATION MOTHER FUCKERS. So I tapped, and signed up.

I also feel like far more have been banned or rage quit that were from or before that era lol. If anyone can look at a thread of like 20 legit pages of comments, I'd venture to guess their join date is 2007 or later because of Brock, Connor, etc.
Really, that's the thing. Most of the interesting Sherdog posters have been banned over the years. The ones who have old join dates are generally boring, or knew enough to use throwaway accounts for gimmick posts and trolls. I am an old combat sports fan, and was watching pre-TUF, but I am not one of the old Pride diehards either. I would say the TUF noobs are definitely vets now.

If you watched a season of TUF where contestants shilled Xyience supplements, you an OG.

The ones who have old join dates are generally boring,

Whoa, whoa, whoa buddy! I'm as hip hop happenin' as it gets and I have been since 2001! Here's a recent clip of me turning on them burners! Still got it!

GargantuanShortGrayfox-max-1mb.gif

TUF 5?

lol, not only are you a TUF Noob, you’re a TUF noob noob

Yeah Forrest has been retired for like a decade.

If you ever watched pre-Kimbo Seth Petruzelli fight his dog, you an OG.

I first got into MMA when I watched TUF 5 on Spike TV.

I thought it was awesome and I got all my friends to watch it and started ordering PPVs at my house.

I basically missed Pride. I came in at the end of it, and went back and watched a whole bunch of Pride fights and highlight reels on YouTube.

That was almost 12 years ago.

I order every pay per view and I trained off and on for a few years but never really got very far. I was taking training more seriously right before Covid but then Covid happened and my gym is shut down, probably forever.

I remember the hype behind Rashad and Rampage when they sold a million PPVs.

And I’m on Sherdog every day.

Are most people here from TUF?

I sure as hell didn’t watch UFC 1. I was a baby then.
To quote a man without elevated testosterone levels: "HOW IS THAT EVEN A FUCKING QUESTION??"

We definitely are seasoned. Maybe not marinated like the super OGs. There might even be a few out there yet on the 'dog that are dry rub. We might even have a fully smoked sumbitch or two on here.

I remember seeing the UFC for the first time about 10 years ago. It's 2022 now, time is flying man

Imagine being one of the people who didn't want more mma fans.

I happened to catch an Evan Tanner fight on one of the many Spike re-runs. Something about the guy, undid all of the preconceived ideas I had about fighters. Then it was Spencer Fisher and Sam Stout, which led to more UFC which then led to Pride back catalogue and international fight league (Lion’s den vs Wolf dick) WEC, Jay Glazer, Bas and Kenny Rice hosting half hour segments on MMA.

I began watching Shooto in 1991, pancrase and Rings.
Then pride came and finally the UFC.
I do recall seeing Rio Heroes vale tudo years ago but that was after Shooto.

Back