Arm Wrestling Legend Devon Larrat grappling with Firas Zahabi

THANK YOU!!!
I was on FB today and somehow ended up arguing with this soy boy from Holland that said there are women around that can tap Firas. Not gonna happen, lol.

THANK YOU!!!
I was on FB today and somehow ended up arguing with this soy boy from Holland that said there are women around that can tap Firas. Not gonna happen, lol.
Can tap is hard to define.
Tap him in a competition or catch him with something in a roll.
Had a high level female grappler almost choke me out with a loop choke (escsped seconds away from fading away) while she distracted me telling me she is marinating some chicken for dinner.

It would be interesting to see how Firas would be able to tap this guy if he didn't have DDS' leg locking system or didn't know/use leg locks. LLs seem like a good way to tap bigger and stronger dudes.

THANK YOU!!!
I'm one of the guys who believe that world class female athletes are usually vastly underestimated by most people but this is just ridicolous.

It would be interesting to see how Firas would be able to tap this guy if he didn't have DDS' leg locking system or didn't know/use leg locks. LLs seem like a good way to tap bigger and stronger dudes.
I guess with a RNC or possibly a Guillotine, but he probably would have to make him gas out first.
Armlocks and arm-in chokes are out of the equation.

I still think with clavicle grabs Devon gets a hold and finishes him.

I still think with clavicle grabs Devon gets a hold and finishes him.
I see you reteirate this point about clavicle grabs often and, while it can theroretically be true, how many people are going to think about going for a clavicle grab in a fight unless they trained specifically to do it?
You usually make it sound like it's something even untrained people will purposefully go for in a fight but I reckon the average person is completely unaware they are even a thing.

I see you reteirate this point about clavicle grabs often and, while it can theroretically be true, how many people are going to think about going for a clavicle grab in a fight unless they trained specifically to do it?
You usually make it sound like it's something even untrained people will purposefully go for in a fight but I reckon the average person is completely unaware they are even a thing.
Maybe, but I always thought it was an instinctive stone age type move that many guys would go for to grab the someone by the throat, and highly effective. I never really considered it a 'technique' one trains although it can be improved.

In this case especially, a guy like Devon with that kind of grip strength getting a clavice grab it is game over I dont care how many stripes the other guy has on his blackbelt.

So while a nice exhibition of small skilled guy getting eventually a heel hook on a big arm wrestler in a roll, reality dictates that if they grapple 'all in' Devon grabs his throat and chokes him out quickly if he gets close is all I am saying.

I
I guess with a RNC or possibly a Guillotine, but he probably would have to make him gas out first.
Armlocks and arm-in chokes are out of the equation.

I think he went for a RNC early, but Devon was able to peel him off, and his sheer size made it hard for Firas to move his body fully into position.

I agree; I think the only way he could have subbed him without leg locks would be to gas him out first.

Maybe, but I always thought it was an instinctive stone age type move that many guys would go for to grab the someone by the throat, and highly effective. I never really considered it a 'technique' one trains although it can be improved.

In this case especially, a guy like Devon with that kind of grip strength getting a clavice grab it is game over I dont care how many stripes the other guy has on his blackbelt.

So while a nice exhibition of small skilled guy getting eventually a heel hook on a big arm wrestler in a roll, reality dictates that if they grapple 'all in' Devon grabs his throat and chokes him out quickly if he gets close is all I am saying.
I think you were talking about grabbing the clavicle, not the throat.
Grabbing someone by the throat and choking him is surely something that untrained people instictively do especially when they are angry and they feel they have a big power and strenght advantage, it happened to me too in an altercation.
However I reckon that it may be harder than you give him credit for to just squeeze the throat of an high level grappler like Firas if he is aware that it could happen.
It's like when we were talking abot eye gouges, they are additional variables than can change the outcome but they are not a guarantee of success.

THANK YOU!!!

Not sure if it has anything to do with this Firas vid but I found his position on not rolling with women a little surprising. Have always respected Firas and even attended one of his clinics years ago but refusing to roll with women because he's "afraid to have impure thoughts" just seems ridiculous for someone who's been training as long as he has.

I get turning down rolls with huge spazzy dudes but not rolling with women because some of them are too hot? I wonder if Firas would turn down a roll with Sexyama.

Not sure if it has anything to do with this Firas vid but I found his position on not rolling with women a little surprising. Have always respected Firas and even attended one of his clinics years ago but refusing to roll with women because he's "afraid to have impure thoughts" just seems ridiculous for someone who's been training as long as he has.

I get turning down rolls with huge spazzy dudes but not rolling with women because some of them are too hot? I wonder if Firas would turn down a roll with Sexyama.

Yep, that's the conversation that got it started. Someone said he was afraid of tapping to a woman and it went from there.

I think it's smart of him. They can call him a misogynist, but he'll never be on the wrong side of a "me too" accusation. Let the feminists cry.

Yeah, ngl, but seeing Gordon Ryan grappling with his GF on his tapes always sort of weirded me out. Especially since she's wearing tight fitting pants/shorts and her ass is all over the screen. Not saying I don't enjoy the show, just that it's kind of distracting when I'm trying to learn a technique.

He is not sacrificing that much not rolling with women. I assume he has plenty of partners that are more his size and likely better technically.

Yeah, ngl, but seeing Gordon Ryan grappling with his GF on his tapes always sort of weirded me out. Especially since she's wearing tight fitting pants/shorts and her ass is all over the screen. Not saying I don't enjoy the show, just that it's kind of distracting when I'm trying to learn a technique.
It looks weird with her being so much smaller.

I think you were talking about grabbing the clavicle, not the throat.
Grabbing someone by the throat and choking him is surely something that untrained people instictively do especially when they are angry and they feel they have a big power and strenght advantage, it happened to me too in an altercation.
However I reckon that it may be harder than you give him credit for to just squeeze the throat of an high level grappler like Firas if he is aware that it could happen.
It's like when we were talking abot eye gouges, they are additional variables than can change the outcome but they are not a guarantee of success.
Throat or clavicle would both be nightmares by someone with that grip strength.

Yep, that's the conversation that got it started. Someone said he was afraid of tapping to a woman and it went from there.

I think it's smart of him. They can call him a misogynist, but he'll never be on the wrong side of a "me too" accusation. Let the feminists cry.

That's got to be it. He's thinking like a businessman and choosing to avoid liability. But not sure why he doesn't just say that because pretending he can't control himself around hot women just sounds hilarious. I mean I'm glad I never had to wrestle a hot girl in a singlet in high school because I would have been sporting wood and that would have been embarrassing AF. But as a grown ass man who's been training for years, it's just not that big a deal even if the woman is hot. It's very common for women to roll with men in Judo and BJJ both gi and nogi.

There are usually women in my BJJ class and it's not a big deal. The closest to awkward it's gotten for me was with a married female blue belt. She has some pretty massive fake boobs but whatever. So I got paired with her for a roll on nogi day and when I took her back and got a seatbelt grip, her boobs were all in the way and I felt awkward so just let go and let her recompose guard. Other than the mechanical impediments in her case, I roll with her just like I would with smaller weaker guys.

I am 100% sure Gordan has her do that intentionally as click bait.

He is not sacrificing that much not rolling with women. I assume he has plenty of partners that are more his size and likely better technically.

Surely it's not about training benefit for him - he can roll with whoever he wants to on his own time. In general I prefer to roll with guys because they're going to give me a better training experience (which is what I'm there for), but if I get paired with a woman for a roll I'm not going to turn her down - same as I'm happy to roll with a smaller, less skilled dude. I just use it as a chance to work on my B and C games without having to muscle anything.

Last edited:
That's got to be it. He's thinking like a businessman and choosing to avoid liability. But not sure why he doesn't just say that because pretending he can't control himself around hot women just sounds hilarious.

He may be a step ahead-- this has generated some "controversy," which I'm sure he realized it would. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

if I get paired with a woman for a roll I'm not going to turn her down - same as I'm happy to roll with a smaller, less skilled dude. I just use it as a chance to work on my B and C games without having to muscle anything.

I enjoy rolling with women, especially toward the end of class when I'm tired. I'm about Roger's size, so I can just do whatever I want and have fun, make the roll really loose, and escape pretty much whatever I get put in. It's a good time to work unusual techniques and work my way out of bad positions. Plus it makes my dick hard.

Throat or clavicle would both be nightmares by someone with that grip strength.
I'm not disputing that, I just pointed out that I find extremely unlikely that someone would think about going for a clavicle grab unless he train in some traditional martial arts where they teach it or something like that, I have never seen it happen since it's not intuitive and people are usually unaware of their effectiveness.
Your point about throat grabs is perfectly valid tough.

Last edited:
I enjoy rolling with women, especially toward the end of class when I'm tired. I'm about Roger's size, so I can just do whatever I want and have fun, make the roll really loose, and escape pretty much whatever I get put in. It's a good time to work unusual techniques and work my way out of bad positions. Plus it makes my dick hard.

If that happens I roll onto my stomach and pretend to play Eduardo Telles turtle guard until the round ends. Then in the next roll I can get back to worrying about the dude who's putting his sweaty nuts in my face so I can sweep him, get on top, take his back and finish him off from behind.

Last edited:
Back