As much as I've come to admire and appreciate Stewart Copeland as a Master Musician

Drunken Meat Fist

Veni Veni Veni
Senior Administrator
Reaction score
My hatred for the Police, as a band (not to be confused with the more well-known and less-reviled law enforcement agency), just awful, god awful, horrible, self-conscious, new wave shit. Stewart Copeland is and always has been an unquestionable maestro, ...and I like him. But in wanting to look back on some of his technique and transitions, that inevitable, unavoidably, means listening to the music of the Police repeatedly, for long periods, to get shit down. ...and, I've decided. No. Stewart Copeland, you are the man, God Bless. I see you soar, but...the records, I only have so many years in my life, listening to the Police for your swine pearls, ...err.. no offense.

He did the soundtrack for Rumble Fish as well as quite a few other films/television shows.

The Police have a lot of good music in their catalog. If you haven't learned to appreciate them yet, I would hope you would give them another try. Copeland's drum work was important to the band's success, but their work was more than just snappy percussion. Rush even said they tried to emulate them when they were new bands on the scene, and they considered them their top rival. Copeland's father was also a CIA agent, if I remember correctly. This colored Stewart's worldview, and why he is kind of a cunt, as well. Masterful percussionist, however.

Never got into The Police but So Lonely is a 10/10. One of my favorite songs ever.

I gotta go with DMF on this one. I can't stand The Police's music or Sting's solo stuff for that matter. I can tolerate Roxanne because it reminds me of Eddie Murphy in 48 Hours, but I quickly remember that Reggie Hammond's farcical a cappella version was better than theirs.

51403015615_841d718f25_h.jpg

Copeland's father was also a CIA agent, if I remember correctly. This colored Stewart's worldview, and why he is kind of a cunt, as well. Masterful percussionist, however.

all i know is he did live in Beirut before the fall

the police early albums are fun. i didn't get into them until i saw a concert video of them

Not got The Police either. Just a new wave / ska / pop mash-up.

I always dug them. They’re one of the few rock bands that married rhythm with the occasional bit of social consciousness, along with U2. Invisible Sun is my jam.

But I can see where TS would find them grating. Sting could be overly verbose in his word choice and obtuse in his lyrics. Very self involved. But when he was on he was on. Not a drumming maven by any stretch but I’d agree with his assessment of Copeland. His work, especially on their more rhythmic early stuff was sublime.

Back