Elections As the house of reps turns

my grandpa got a permission slip signed to join the navy at 17 to enter WWII. you pussies would kill yourselves before being drafted
My Pop Pop did the same thing, except he lied about being 17 and went into WW II at 16. Served on 2 LST's and was at D-Day. His older brother as a kid was kicked by a horse on the farm and walked with a limp all his life and could not serve, so my Pop Pop wanted to serve his country and wanted to serve in his brothers place. 3 days ago was the 1 year anniversary of him passing away. Still miss that dude.
He was tougher than a 2 dollar steak, but I impart his life lessons, on my kids, that he imparted on me.

peace-sign.jpg

I love how in this twisted view of toughness, it's more laudable that folks got drafted, instead of volunteering. Even Vietnam had a much higher volunteer rate...aka folks chose to serve their country and didn't wait until it was unavoidable.

Yeah, my Grandfather joined the Navy at 16, did two tours in Vetnam, boxed in the Navy, and before that was a greaser in the streets of NY who slept in train stations to avoid his parents.

Post-script: My Grandfather joined the Navy as a teenager because poverty, and upon becoming a Corpsman, was attached to a Marine Recon unit, saw too many people die too fast in an absurd War, then came home and became an abusive drunk. P.S. - was also a racist.

Let me use this info to shame modern kids lol

Last edited:
I would but I’d try to take as many recruiters with me as possible
Last year, my principal brought two guys in uniform into my classroom. They were hoping to volunteer and help students work on their academics. They said they could come a couple times a week.

I replied that they can certainly come in to help. But, they had to follow two rules: they had to show up in civilian clothes and they had to be here to help with academics, not spend the time recruiting.

They didn't return.

Back