Aside from prime andy, does any mw beat izzy?

Henderson was definitely not peaking and at his prime when he fought Anderson. 29 fights, 11 years into his fight career, and at nearly age 38 is not his prime. He also went 10-8 to end his career after losing to Anderson. Up to his fight with Anderson, he had 7 losses total.
It's you're prime if you're on TRT

I'd take 2013 Vitor over him. But, in all fairness to Izzy, that version of Vitor is a nightmarish matchup for any middleweight that ever existed. Hell, I might go a step further and say any LHW too. Guy almost snuck an armbar on Jones, and he wasn't even in his final form yet.

I favor over him prime Weidman, Romero, Anderson with prime TRTitor, Sonnen, Machida and current Costa being 50/50 fights.

All time stuff here. Is there anyone at 185 that you would favor over izzy?
Prime Jacare, Weirdman, Luke, Cheeta, SHell.
43 yo Romero won.
Any version of Moose can win.
Maia can win if he gets a hold of him.

How many really good MW wrestlers have there been?
If Chael had done what he did to Anderson the first time when fighting Adesanya he'd beat him as Adesanya isn't getting the sub win.
I was going to say Chael too. He was really tough to beat in his prime if you didn't have good submissions.

Edit: of course USADA might make a big difference.

Last edited:
Romero with something like 5% more effort.

To be honest, I was a bit surprised when they announced Izzy as the winner anyway. Romero arguably still won that fight.

Weidman, Jacare at their prime are good bets.
I wouldn't even count out Anderson at his prime.

Rockhold, TRT-Belfort, Maia, Henderson, there are a bunch of interesting matchups.

How good is Izzys takedown defense? Honest question, I’ve only seen a few of his fights and don’t recall him being tested.

I could see guys like Hendo and Weidman (five fights ago Weidman) giving him a fight. Gastelum busted him up good on that loss.

Izzy is so technical I could also see him making those guys look silly on the feet.

No one has really gotten near getting him down I don’t think, maybe Kelvin did for a quick moment? Either way his TDD has held up very well.

As for the original question maybe Machida would be a good fight, not sure if he’d win but worth watching.

Rockhold ( bc - before chin) and I'll still put money on G.Mousasi vs Izz( styles alone) as his prime years are still , incredibly, here.

There are others ( that could possibly). Let's see Izz defend belt a few more times before we have these credulous topics.

Have people not learned - yet ? ( I happen to think Israel IS the goods but I still need to actually see more)

Prime Chael puts izzy on his ass for 5 long rounds, and Izzy aint getting a triangle.

That said Chael was on so much steroids he got caught three times back when Usada wasnt around and the ufcs official policy was "boys will be boys"

Andy Wang? No I doubt it, Izzy isn’t a good matchup for him.

No one has really tried to outwrestle Adesanya. The two good wrestlers he's fought only shot in a few times. There's still too little footage of his wrestling and grappling. I think Romero edged him, or a draw. Sonnen at his best would've been a difficult style. Weidman as well, but Weidman would need to wrestle.

Not sure about others. I think Hendo would whiff and gas. Dan could wrestle though, if he wanted. But he'd need a clinch for that, difficult to consistently get there with the footwork.

Franklin and Bisping get outstruck, but Bisping had decent takedowns and good GnP, if he would try to mix it up. More likely Mike gets leveled. Of course Anderson at his best can match his area of strength.

I’m surprised nobody said Tim Kennedy yet. Guy was an outstanding grappler and had good striking too. Tim from strikeforce or when he first came over would be a really good fight

Rockhold with his hands up destroys izzy

that still leaves him with three other limbs to attack with lol

method=get&s=luke-rockhold-10-26-2015-8-44-59-133.jpg

Back