International Australia to Buy Nuclear Attack Submarine from US; France Furious Over Betrayal

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
TLDR Version: France and Australia signed a $90 billion deal in 2016 to supply Australia with submarines. US and UK announced yesterday they will supply Astute or Virginia Class SSN instead to counter China, sinking France's cash cow. French are extremely pissed since they already started constructing the subs and are now left holding the bag.
France has expressed fury over Australia’s surprise decision to scrap a huge submarine deal in favour of nuclear-powered subs from the US, describing it as a “stab in the back” from Canberra and a strain on its friendly relationship with Washington.

“It’s really a stab in the back. We had established a relationship of trust with Australia, this trust has been betrayed,” the French foreign minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, told France Info radio on Thursday.

The announcement of a US, UK and Australia defence pact brought an abrupt and unexpected end to France’s A$90bn (£48bn) submarine contract with Australia, which was signed in 2016.

Le Drian said: “I’m very angry today, and bitter ... this is not something allies do to each other.”

He added: “This unilateral, sudden and unforeseeable decision very much recalls what Mr Trump would do,” referring to the previous US president who exasperated Europe with unpredictable decision-making.
‘Stab in the back’: French fury as Australia scraps submarine deal | France | The Guardian

Obviously, China is going "REEEEeeee!!"
China has criticised a historic security pact between the US, UK and Australia, describing it as "extremely irresponsible" and "narrow-minded".

The deal will see the US and UK give Australia the technology to build nuclear-powered submarines for the first time.

It is being widely viewed as an effort to counter China's influence in the contested South China Sea.
Aukus: China denounces US-UK-Australia pact as irresponsible - BBC News

Why would anyone buy military equipment from a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys like the French? Motherfuckers have been getting absolutely curbstomped in war for the last 500 years.

Why would anyone buy military equipment from a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys like the French? Motherfuckers have been getting absolutely curbstomped in war for the last 500 years.

Not exactly true...

But it's nice to know that we can't stick to international business agreements on top of all our current shit.

Just showing our willingness to follow the US and UK into the next war mongering, refugee creating drama for years to come.

In fact I think we did something similar years ago in regards to a French attack helicopter agreement. My memory is vague on that one though

Well it hasn't been 500 fucking years.

Says the country that has barely existed for 200 years. Easy to have few military defeats when you literally have no history and all your wars involved an enemy an ocean away - zero real risk. France has a rich military record, to suggest they don't is profound ignorance that's not even worth addressing.

If I were EU countries looking at this, I'd be done making deals with the commonwealth. 27 countries in the EU, small countries with negligible economies like Australia or the UK aren't absolutely needed as trade partners by anyone - especially not at the cost of betrayal.

The contract the Aussies signed with France was a huge clusterfcuk. There's been criticism of it for a long time now, not just because of the soaring cost but the long wait time and the inferiority of choosing diesel electric over nuclear.

TL : DR - Australia was " dudded " .

Saw this Sky News report last year. It is pretty critical of the Australian-French deal

Back