International Australia to use facial recognition and geo-location to enforce Covid quarantines

Lol. Imagine being triple-vaxxed and wearing your two face masks at home while social distancing from your wife and her boyfriend, and then still getting arrested for not responding to a text message fast enough. Please everyone, go get more jabs and I'm sure this will be over in two weeks!
<45>

Half of Australia locks down after a covid fart so wouldn't shock me.

Well, they did ban guns so this is not surprising. Funny, Australia started off as a penal colony filled with bad boys, now it's still a penal colony but filled with snowflakes instead.

Lordy, I thought the OP was satire.

Australia is probably the most authoritarian-inclined Western nation. Seriously.
American righties like the way the Aussies deal with immigration, and American lefties like the way they deal with guns... but they tend to be as effective as they are, because they're only a few steps removed from authoritarianism at any given time.
A part of this comes down to the fact that the Australian system makes no pretense of pretending it believes in rights or freedoms.

In many ways, they still are a nation of prisoners and jailers. Their police force's readiness to resort to thuggish violence would probably also surprise people.

And the pandemic has really brought that authoritarian instinct to the fore and put it on display for the world to stare aghast at.

Last edited:
I'll provide an insight into Australian culture which is why we are not shocked by this: Australians favour community over individuality far more than Americans, and by and large are prepared to sacrifice more individual freedoms for the sake of others. The extent, of course, varies from person to person.

Australia has been very successful in eradicating COVID (until Delta) and the lockdowns have been generally been (but not always) short and have left us with far more freedoms than many parts of the US have. While the US was locked down with thousands of deaths a day we were enjoying stadiums of 50,000 people. The death toll in Australia is 1,000 while in the US it is >600,000. Australia has avoided a recession, though its economy has been greatly harmed in some sectors such as tourism.

With regards to the specific topic there is a community (and legal) expectation that if you come from a higher-risk COVID zone that you enter quarantine of some sort (either hotel quarantine or home quarantine) to protect your community. That has generally been for two weeks. Unfortunately not everyone abides by this and escapes have been very rare but do happen: police have attended homes at random to ensure compliance with the quarantine orders. The app is solely for those in quarantine to self-report their status and not waste police presence. Note that community faith in police, and how they police, is far far better than in the US.

Again it is about a sense of community and protecting your friends, family, colleagues and loved ones. People by the majority are very prepared to enter quarantine for short periods to protect others and the app provides compliance to that. Non-compliance to these community (and legal) expectations are very rare given the tens/hundreds of thousands who have been through hotel quarantine.

Not everything we've done has been wholly successful and the Delta strain is forcing a rethink. There's a lot of angst in Australia right now about what the strategy should be and our vaccination rates are low (ish) due to being so successful at total eradication of COVID for over a year.

I hope this might give some insight into why many Australians are not concerned about the story at hand - other than it being a misrepresentation of what's happening, it's also that the community expectations are simply different to America, and we're kind of happy about it that way too.

"I agree this shit is stupid and draconian, but I'm defending it because I think Americans are laughing at me"
You stupid low IQ yanks don't you realize this is how everything get's better ! I can't explain why I just trust the government's word.

You stupid low IQ yanks don't you realize this is how everything get's better ! I can't explain why I just trust the government's word.

Oh look social media with non-stop lies and crazy people fighting the police. You'd never hear of that anywhere.

And it's a bit rich to hear about 'going to jail monopoly' when Australia's incarceration rate is 160 per 100,000 and the US is 639 per 100,000. Pull your head in.

Crazy Australians do crazy shit. Republicans use that as some kind of misguided, nonsensical and idiotic reasoning to not get a free vaccine during a pandemic. Is normal

Also, they will bitch when there is another wave that leads to restrictions but could have been prevented with a harmless vaccine. I’m beginning to think you guys just like bitching and playing the victim card

Oh look social media with non-stop lies and crazy people fighting the police. You'd never hear of that anywhere.

And it's a bit rich to hear about 'going to jail monopoly' when Australia's incarceration rate is 160 per 100,000 and the US is 639 per 100,000. Pull your head in.
We have more cops and more laws .. Aussie's don't get caught because of incompetence

Crazy Australians do crazy shit. Republicans use that as some kind of misguided, nonsensical and idiotic reasoning to not get a free vaccine during a pandemic. Is normal

Also, they will bitch when there is another wave that leads to restrictions but could have been prevented with a harmless vaccine. I’m beginning to think you guys just like bitching and playing the victim card

How could it be preventive with harmless vaccine? explain

We have more cops and more laws .. Aussie's don't get caught because of incompetence

jim-halpert-the-office.gif

“I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app.”

Wow. As I've said many times before, Orwell was either a clairvoyant or he was handed the script decades in advance.

Again it is about a sense of community and protecting your friends, family, colleagues and loved ones. People by the majority are very prepared to enter quarantine for short periods to protect others and the app provides compliance to that. Non-compliance to these community (and legal) expectations are very rare given the tens/hundreds of thousands who have been through hotel quarantine.

Should point out that the app is opt in and only available to interstate returnees (not international returns) in level 4 home quarantine at the moment (a 14 day quarantine which currently only applies to anyone coming back from NSW, ACT and VIC, and excludes the "border bubble").
The alternative is simply having random police checks or hotel quarantine (although that's usually restricted to international returns now).
WA and Tasmania already have similar apps running.

Should point out that the app is opt in and only available to interstate returnees (not international returns) in level 4 home quarantine at the moment (which only applies to anyone coming back from NSW, ACT and VIC, and excludes the "border bubble").
The alternative is simply having random police checks or hotel quarantine (although that's usually restricted to international returns now).

Don't let facts get in the way of US hysteria

Australia has officially fallen.

This shit is even madder than anything China would do.

In the COVID thread, we see that Australia have announced........a social credit system.

Australia has officially fallen - the global Communist takeover, probably pushed by China itself, is almost complete. Australia will now be the first fully Communist country in the west (it will not be called Communism publicly, but they'll live under the same regime as Chinese people).

Canada, will be next, within 1-2 months.

What country prevented the delta wave with the vaccine? Israel rolled out the vax faster than anyone and has one of the highest vax rates. They are currently the #1 Covid hotspot in the world. There is zero evidence that more vaccine would have made Covid go away.

Should point out that the app is opt in and only available to interstate returnees (not international returns) in level 4 home quarantine at the moment (a 14 day quarantine which currently only applies to anyone coming back from NSW, ACT and VIC, and excludes the "border bubble").

Its amazing how you can say that as though its better.

"This isn't dystopian at all. All this is an alternative to random police checks on you while you are under forced quarantine for visiting a neighboring city"

Back